Brewers -- Mash Paddle 2006 Is A Porter !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt think that JS porter was much to write home about either.

I think mine will have several malts in it, havnt decided on a stratagy for it yet.

Still lots of time :)

cheers

MMM..time..

Will have a shed full of 1675894 different porters to choose from if i am not carefull

MMmmmm Porter.... :chug:

as long as i get to try a couple of them mate :chug:

cheers

Today is the first I have heard of the mash paddle. I am relatively new to entering competitions, though an Aussie lager of mine did pretty well last year.

Having just finished reading Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels, I was already planning on making some home made brown malt for a porter. I was thinking of trying the 1/3 pale, amber and brown malts for my first attempt, then adjusting my recipe off of that. Might throw in a little bit of chocolate as well. I'm thinking the traditional Goldings and Fuggle for the hops and a Whitbred ale yeast.

Can't wait to get cracking on this one.
:chug:

Josh said:
Today is the first I have heard of the mash paddle. I am relatively new to entering competitions, though an Aussie lager of mine did pretty well last year.

Having just finished reading Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels, I was already planning on making some home made brown malt for a porter. I was thinking of trying the 1/3 pale, amber and brown malts for my first attempt, then adjusting my recipe off of that. Might throw in a little bit of chocolate as well. I'm thinking the traditional Goldings and Fuggle for the hops and a Whitbred ale yeast.

Can't wait to get cracking on this one.
:chug:
[post="102282"][/post]​

Welcome on board Josh,

And to all planning the Paddle for this year great brewing and tasting to refine the beer you will present.

Steve

A few more q's for first time paddlers ( hope that doesnt sound too kinky or weird :) )

1.) When

2.) Where do i send the bottles.

3.) How much.

Any advice would be appreciated. Tah

mje1980 said:
A few more q's for first time paddlers ( hope that doesnt sound too kinky or weird :) )

1.) When

3.) How much.

[post="102447"][/post]​
If you go back to the start of the thread you should be able to find most of the info. Anything else you should be able to get by visiting the ANAWBS web site.

mje1980 said:

1.) When

3.) How much.

[post="102447"][/post]​

Entries don't close until 29 September 2006. Final details on entry destinations and fees will be posted here in due course.

In the meantime check out this thread for a bit more information on ANAWBS 2006, and also the ANAWBS website.

Over the course of the year, we hope to update and upgrade the web site quite a bit. For the moment the hardworking committee is in summer recess :beer: .

Im brewing my paddle porter this weekend.

Will see how it goes and refine later

here is my recipe:

4kg...............ooooooooooo that was close :eek:

was going to brew a whole heap of stout for winter drinking but figure a robust porter will have to do this year.

just as nice if not better

still cant decide on wether to use brown malt of not :blink:

will probably make up my mind the night before as i crack the grain.

cheers and good luck all

tony.

oh dear.i havent even done one single brew so far this year.one quick holiday and a slight job change has thrown me out a bit.im glad this topic raises its head now and again as it reminds me to get started on a few trial mash paddles.this w/end is looking good then next week looks even better for a robust porter trial.

cheers
big d

wooooo hooooooooo

45 liters of 1.0?? :) porter in the fridge hapily firmenting away

and it tastes great.

I love brewing for a competition

it really preasures u to make decisions on what to do with the brew.

Has anyone else put down a batch yet?

When it gets a bit closer

Be an interesting paddle this one

Batz

I've never brewed a porter before, will be putting one or two down come winter. I agree with Batz, it ought to be an interesting paddle and much more competitive than least year's.

interesting all right as im sure there are a few interpretations of a robust porter and hop usage.may put in a 3C hopped porter to test chillers taste buds :p

cheers
big d

Good Day
Bottled my stock standard robust porter a few days ago. Will be too old for the comp but that's a good reason to brew a few more.
I make the same recipe each time with minor variations due to grain and hop availability eg. JW pale or Maris Otter.
It is a funny beer in regards to comps. Half the time it scores very pleasing points but other times it bombs out with comments such as;

too much like a stout (it was actually moved to the stout class where it failed to impress)
not robust enough
needs more bitterness
too bitter for style
needs more dark malt
too much dark malt character
too dark
too light for style
harsh flavour due to high fermentation temps (fermented at 17-18oC)

and so on.

I am not having a go at the judges because I have judged many times myself and know how hard everyone tries to get it right. It is just a hard/interesting style to make and to judge. A grest one for the Mash Paddle.

Might even be my first comp...

Any chance of having your website updated? still in 2005 mode

Cheers, :beer:

Jarrad

Jazzafish said:
Might even be my first comp...

Any chance of having your website updated? still in 2005 mode

Cheers, :beer:

Jarrad
[post="105232"][/post]​

Committee, and web master, still in summer recess I'm afraid. Major updates to site should be effected soon. Rest assured when this happens AHB readers will be amongst the first to know.

It will be interesting what yeast strains are used too!, im sure there will be quite a few different types :)

Latest posts

Back