Brewers -- Mash Paddle 2006 Is A Porter !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chiller.

Cats respond "far" better to a protein rest. ;)

Mmmmm... Moggy Porter. :chug:

Warren -

jayse said:
i think wyeast 1098 would be considered the number one porter yeast of all time, second to that i would be looking at wyeast 1028

Jayse, how does 1335 British Ale II compare to 1098 British Ale? I've got some here and will be throwing it into my first porter this weekend.

jayse said:
If you use brown malt in it your a braver man than I.

What exactly is Brown Malt? I went to a HBS today to get the grain for said porter and he had no idea what brown malt was. I ran out to the car and opened Designing Great Beers and showed him the definition:

"A roasted product that is lighter than chocolate malt, rarely produced by maltsters today. Used in bitter and mild ales, sweet stouts, and London Porters, it contributes a light, buscuitlike dry flavour. It contains no enzymes. It can be reproduced by toasting pale malt in an oven."

The recipe, taken from BrewBoard as a Fullers London Porter Clone was as follows:

8.25lb (3.75kg) Pale 2 row
1lb (453g) Crystal 55L
0.63lb (285g) Chocolate
0.63lb (285g) Brown
IBU's 25-30 EKG, bittering only.
WYeast 1968
OG 1.054 (70% efficiency)
Mashed 154F (68C) 90mins

I walked away with 3.6kg pale, 500g Crystal 60L, 280g Chocolate, 280g Cararoma.

Didn't mean to hijack the mash paddle thread, but it seems fitting to discuss a porter in here. In keeping with the thread, I agree that a single entry per brewer should be the maximum in keeping with the spirit of the MP.

I've had Designing Great Beers out reading up about Robust Porters.
Been a while since I brewed one, and can't really remember what my last one tasted like (except for the Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter :p )
I think I have a plan coming together and am even thinking of doing some yeast blending.
Don't think I'll add any Brett but it does appear to be an option.

Beers,
Doc

NRB,

My local HBS has Fawcetts brown - can't say I've used it - I'll have to give the grains a chew to try & get some idea...

Can always send you some down if you're keen to try?..

Cheers Ross

NRB said:
What exactly is Brown Malt? I went to a HBS today to get the grain for said porter and he had no idea what brown malt was.
Grain & Grape sell it (Fawcetts).

It's looks half way between Fawcetts Amber and Pale Choc in colour - ie definitely mid-brown rather than black. If Amber malt is toast, then Brown malt is lighlty burned toast.

Note1: Not all maltsters make a brown malt, and some just relable their amber malt.

Note2: Historically brown malt was nothing like modern brown malt,

Thanks Ross, I'll try Grain and Grape first. If they come up empty, I'll give you a holler.

[edit] It looks like I won't be calling on you at all; Sean's answered it as I was typing!

NRB said:
Thanks Ross, I'll try Grain and Grape first. If they come up empty, I'll give you a holler.

[edit] It looks like I won't be calling on you at all; Sean's answered it as I was typing!
[post="86082"][/post]​

Hi NRB,

both Jayse and i have used "Modern" brown malt in beers and the consensus is a little goes a long way.

It does give a great flavour profile but can easily overpower other malts.

Steve

I made a American Brown with 250 gms of TF brown malt one year ago.
Gotta agree that a little goes a long way. Made a very tasty brew. Especially when it was fresh in the first few weeks.
I'm ging to get some of this and burn it on the charcoal.
Then mash it.
Nah just joking :p

johnno

Brewers already buying grain for their Paddle entry :blink:

I'll think about it in around 8-9 months

Batz

Batz, it's not a paddle entry - I don't think I'm up to that level of brewing yet given I've only brewed 7 times. This thread inspired me to have a crack at a porter, that's all.

If my plans for the next 12 months come to fruition, then I may consider entering my first comp. :eek:

Also,
Dont forget about the temp that this beer was served at from the casks.
You must make it so its drunk at between 8 and 14 deg C.
I really like going to the shed in winter and just cracking a stub at ambient temp.
Nothing like those flavours anywhere.
You will not be able to hide any funky flavours in a cold beer.
And the judges will catch you!!!

johnno

johnno said:
I really like going to the shed in winter and just cracking a stub at ambient temp.
[post="86138"][/post]​

Me too Johnno, although it generally means I'm escaping/hiding and will be pi#*$(@ on the fence before going back for another stub :p

Doc

Doc said:
johnno said:
[post="86138"][/post]​

Me too Johnno, although it generally means I'm escaping/hiding and will be pi#*$(@ on the fence before going back for another stub :p

Doc
[post="86142"][/post]​

I too try to hide Doc.
But I cant. Its only seven steps total from my back door to my shed. :(
Someone always finds me quickly.

johnno

chiller said:
If you are really game post a recipe to this list and allow all the Porter experts a shot at your baby.
[post="85390"][/post]​

Ok :)
This is a first serious attempt at a Porter, hopefully I'm not too far off track :unsure:, the Brown malt is made from Powells Ale malt roasted in the oven (500g at 1cm depth) at 180C for 20 minutes with a turn of the grains at the half way point as gleened from this thread :beer:.

Edit: it's in the kettle at the moment.

Porter attempt I

Porter, Robust Porter

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.50 Wort Size (L): 23.50
Total Grain (kg): 5.38
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.95
Anticipated EBC: 49.6
Anticipated IBU: 42.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
83.6 4.50 kg. Powells Ale Australia 1.037 6
4.6 0.25 kg. Powells Homemade Brown Malt Australia 1.033 200
2.8 0.15 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 3
3.7 0.20 kg. Powells Caramalt Australia 1.035 26
4.0 0.21 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750
1.3 0.07 kg. JWM Roast Barley Australia 1.036 1400

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Green Bullet Pellet 11.00 22.8 60 min.
15.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.20 14.9 60 min.
10.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 3.0 30 min.
10.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 0.6 10 min.
10.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.20 1.0 10 min.

Yeast
-----
WLP 004 Irish Stout

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp : 67 Time: 60

Edit: changed the last hop additions from 5g each to 10g each

I have just not long ago bottled my first real attempt at a porter. I saw in designing great beers, the advice on how to make your own brown malt. I followed the randy mosher procedure, and used the malt as 10% of the grain bill. I also used 10% munich, and a touch of pale choc and black malt, and i cannot taste anything but the brown malt haha :D . I also threw cascades in at the last 5 mins, and dry hopped 25g of "mystery hop" ( found it in the back of the freezer ), and i cant taste any of these either :( . It is a little harsh, although, in the 43 days in secondary ( due to no bottle caps anywhere! ), it did slightly mellow out. Im hoping in a few months it will have smoothed out even further.

Ok, i'll have a crack at pulling your recipe to bits nonicman, I wouldn't call myself a expert though and even if i we're i'd wouldn't dare call myself one. I'll leave the big noting type stuff to those that like to call themselves 'masters' :lol:

Anyway the only real thing i see is the balance is going to be out, the IBU would be right if you up the gravity to that of a robust porter ie more like 1.062 not the 1.052 you have. I for one will be very annoyed if the winning beer is only around 1.050 because to me that is more like a standard brown porter and i will be spending the next year making sure i perfect a 'robust porter'. Anyway iam sure who ever steve picks for the judging panel will know what they are looking for as far as that goes. In the end if a beer which is only 1.050 is the best beer i will have no arguments about that at all as long as it really is a robust porter and not a plain old brown.
That recipe to me is also not quite dark enough as i percieve a robust porter should be. Remeber its a 'robust porter' and although some might be tempted to brew a easy drinking smooth lower gravity beer with hardly any hops I hope everyone does get into the spirit of 'robust porter' not something for the masses like a ruby red-dark easy drinking number.
Although in the back of my mind i do forsee such beers scoring highly, which posses the challange, should the porter be right up the top of the robust guidelines at 1.065 and 45 IBU? or maybe stick to something everyone could drink all nite long at 1.055 and only 35 IBU. this same choice iam sure many other are thinking about too.

Anyway after all that ranting and raving all i can say about your recipe is i would have stuck to around 35 IBU for a porter at only 1.052. Other than that i think your pretty much on track. Maybe another thing i will mention is maybe up the caramalt to around 8% and ditch the carapils then swap the roast barley for black malt. Just a couple of thoughts that spring straight to my mind.

Good luck, these are all my own opinions and have no bearing on what others may percieve the style to be.
Jayse

Thanks Jayse. Will take all your points on board, ditch the carapils, up the carmalt and get my hands on some Black malt, rebalance the hopping levels (something that is true for all beers which I often muckup) and think about the meaning of robust in "Robust Porter". Thought it might be a little light in colour, 10 ECB points below BCJP guidelines. Doubt I'll be in contention for the mash paddle but hopefully will have learnt to brew a decent robust porter by then. :beer:

never say never nonicman

You never know.

have a go and you might hit the jackpot.

Its good to brew for competitions cause you get judge feedback.

I found i liked my beer but when i got the judges feedback they ointed out faults that i didnt notice and now i can improve. Its a good way to learn.

Not many people come first on their first try. Keep with it mate.

see you at the finish line :p
cheers

tony

thanks Tony, will be making maximum effort this year and will enter if only to learn more. I posted my attempt in the hope that the feed back would assist myself and others who are still on the L plates like me. See you at the finish line :beer:

Well my attempt for the paddle will have caraaroma, crystal, choc and a small amount of roast barley. My current one has great coffee and chocolat flavour. Better than Grumpys republican and makes J.S porter look like lolly water

Latest posts

Back