Brewers -- Mash Paddle 2006 Is A Porter !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jayse said:
bring it on home.

The snippet that comes to mind is the mass produced beer that was aged in skyscaper sized wooden vats for a year, and may well have been the original down fall of small breweries around the time.
By all accounts those vast vats generated extremely high fermentation temperatures - after all, there was nowhere for the heat to go. Anyone willing to risk it for the sake of authenticity?

If you use brown malt in it your a braver man than I.
My Whitbread/Castle Eden clone has brown malt in it. Yet to find out how it tastes.

chiller said:
Sean said:
Next question: is it restricted to one entry per brewer?
[post="85411"][/post]​

Short answer yes -- longer answer I'm 99% certain my first answer was correct :)

I'll check the ANAWBS rules.

Steve.
[post="85420"][/post]​

ANAWBS rules are that you cannot enter one beer in more than one category. But, you can enter more than one beer in the same category, provided they are different beers.

HOWEVER Steve is the ultimate arbiter of "the paddle". If he decides each brewer gets to enter only their 'best' porter, I am sure the committee would look favourably on the decision.

Paddles in your court, Steve :)

chiller said:
Get involved in the spirit of the Paddle. You have the opportunity to be creative and at the same time get bragging rights on your mates.

If you are really game post a recipe to this list and allow all the Porter experts a shot at your baby.

Steve
[post="85390"][/post]​

Chiller,
I wont mind posting my recipe when the time comes.
The comp is a long way off.
I will make my customary porter next autumn then I will make one for the comp which I will post.
I know a lot of brewers will make a few test brews but I dont reckon I will be.
Not enough time for me.
Probably go for something with a lot of brown and amber malt in it but it is too early to tell.

johnno

Just found this on the net...Thought others might like to read...

Carolyn Smagalski
BellaOnline's Beer and Brewing Editor

Porter - History of Beer and Imagination

As a beer lover, you know and understand the joy of drinking liquid bread, those porters that give rise to a satisfaction beyond the mere quenching of thirst. Legend has it that this style was first developed as a happy accidental blending of soured ale, brown ale, and weak ale. The soured ale gave the porter a classic bite that was celebrated among men with a matured taste for this unusual blend.

Porter became the fad of the day in the 1700s around jolly old England. It initially gained popularity among the transport workers in Central London, those brawny common folks who would endure hard labor with no more than a few pints of porter and a few pounds of bread per day. The endurance of the laboring class did not go without recognition, and before long, porter gained credit as the catalyst for this endurance. As a result, the well-bred and distinguished citizens embraced this beverage as well, igniting an explosion within the brewing industry. Porter became so popular, in fact, that brewers who could adapt to a grand scale were able to make comfortable fortunes producing this one style of beer.

Grand became grandiose, and it soon became necessary to construct huge wooden vats for the fermentation and aging of the finest porters. This aging process could take up to a year for the more desirable of these brews, so these fermentation vessels became a feat in strength and engineering. The largest vat in the world was built by the Meux Brewery in London with the ability to hold 860,000 gallons. Before these vats were used, huge celebratory dinners were held inside them, a practice that served as market branding in the development of emotional bonds between the patrons and their premier brewers.

Notwithstanding the tight bond between these people, October of 1814 went down in history for an event that crushed the dreams of scores of London porter lovers. One of the most grandiose vats at the Meux Brewery gave way, sending a tsunami of porter through the streets. Homes crushed like toothpicks under the force of the brew. A human being didnt stand a chance! In fact, eight folks lost their lives in the debacle, through drowning, drunken poisoning, or injuries beyond the limitations of the medical community of the time.

When the Revolutionary War broke out in the American colonies, trade with England ceased, and brewing porter was left in the hands of the colonists. George Washington was famous for his love of this fine food. He believed it to be a wholesome and nutritious beverage, necessary for good health and satisfying to the thirst of his field officers. As a man with revolutionary ideas, Washington regularly ordered abundant supplies of a porter brewed by Robert Hare of Philadelphia, Pa. This was delivered to the presidential mansion through the efforts of beverage agent, Clement Biddle. Washington was also known to raise a few glasses of this fine porter with prominent Philadelphia citizens and foreign dignitaries at City Tavern, the unofficial meeting place for the First Continental Congress of 1774.

America was a tapestry of cultures since its very beginnings, and waves of German immigrants brought changing styles. These masters of brewing created a hybrid style of porter employing bottom-fermenting yeasts, those typically used in the lager style of brewing to which they had become accustomed.

Public tastes change over time. Porters eventually lost their popularity in America and nearly had their demise, when the Age of the Microbrewery hit with full force. Craft brewers with a dedication to the art emerged with enthusiasm to produce some of the finest porters in the world. These are generally deep mahogany in color, with roasted smoky flavors and a shade of chocolate subtlety.

Not only is porter a satisfying beverage, but it is also an extraordinary ingredient in gourmet beer cookery. This is where a porter can dance on the wind! By merging classic cookery with 200 years of tradition, the world of fine cuisine presents itself to both the gourmet chef and the beer enthusiast. The robust roundness of porter blends particularly well in veal and sausage dishes. Moist cakes, chocolate or spiced, play symphonies when merged with the body of a strong porter.

GMK

That was moving stuff :)

was like one of the little stories on the side of a JS bottle, only longer and better written

Chiller....

Why dont you let us end in a max of 2 enteries each.

With all the trial batches being brewed and the scope for experimentation in the style, there will be plenty of different styles of porter being made around the country.

This will allow people to enter two completly different porters. perhaps one made in the traditional way and a more modern interpritation

think of all the extra bees you guys would get to taste.

up to you mate. Im sure everyone will respect your decision.

Brewing for competions is great.

It pushes me to make better beer but i also get to learn all about the beer im making if you know what i mean.

cheers

cheers

Tony said:
chiller said:
[It will be nice to confirm interest in judging

Count me out I don't like getting stung on the foot let alone stung on the tounge ;)

Cheers
MAH

Perhaps, in memory of the Meux Brewery, there should be a special award for anyone who manages to drown 6 or more people in their fermenter.

Sadly, despite getting invites to a couple of functions in the tun room at the old Whitbread Brewery in Chiswell Street, I never actually got the opportunity to attend and see them.

Tony said:
<snip>
Chiller....

Why dont you let us end in a max of 2 enteries each.

With all the trial batches being brewed and the scope for experimentation in the style, there will be plenty of different styles of porter being made around the country.

This will allow people to enter two completly different porters. perhaps one made in the traditional way and a more modern interpritation

up to you mate. Im sure everyone will respect your decision.

<snip>

cheers
[post="85686"][/post]​

I will foolishly open this up for discussion --

Hyperthetically speaking if I decide to open the competition to 2 entries from the same brewer for the Mash Paddle what advantages or disadvantages do you see this posing for you as the brewer?

I will consider this only if there is an overwhelming reason to do it.

You will be required to pay an additional entry fee on the second bottle.

Ok -- over to you!!

Steve

I think one entry is enough. It'll encourage the brewer to make sure they're picking their best beer for entry.

Could always split it into 2 or 3 classes...

Traditional
Modern
American

Just a thought

GMK said:
Could always split it into 2 or 3 classes...

Traditional
Modern
American

Just a thought
[post="85822"][/post]​

Looks like three thoughts to me GMK.

One beer only -- one class.

Steve

Kai said:
I think one entry is enough. It'll encourage the brewer to make sure they're picking their best beer for entry.
[post="85818"][/post]​

I'm not sure the rest of the ANAWBS committee would thank me for this, but I agree with Kai and Chiller. One beer one brewer suits the spirit of the paddle best.

And the last thing we want is any porter carpet bombers emerging from the ranks :D

well i reckon it should just be the one entry per person.after all we have about a year to perfect our best effort so why do you need two beers.every porter ive made ive varied and have really enjoyed so coming up with the right one to send will be the real challenge.

cheers
big d

I read it as it only being one style...."Robust Porter"

wee stu said:
Kai said:
[post="85818"][/post]​

I'm not sure the rest of the ANAWBS committee would thank me for this, but I agree with Kai and Chiller. One beer one brewer suits the spirit of the paddle best.

And the last thing we want is any porter carpet bombers emerging from the ranks :D
[post="85830"][/post]​

Ditto !

Batz

Batz said:
wee stu said:
Kai said:
[post="85818"][/post]​

[post="85830"][/post]​

Ditto !

Batz
[post="85849"][/post]​

Well after our carefully crafted poll --

One entry per brewer

There is only one Porter style for this next Paddle -- please see the style giudelines.

Robust Porter.

Of course feel free to ask your questions

What do they say there is no such thing as a stupid question ---------

So I should start to hear the sound of happy NASA burners [and others] roaring into life soon.

Steve

cool

sounds good to me. :)

Will have to do some serious tasting to decide on the best one.

cheers

Steve

Can I enter one for each peorson that I pretend to be on AHB? ;)

One of me wants to make a traditional porter based upon the Durben Park Beer Circle recipes, one of me wants to add some spice like days of old, one of meet wants to age it for a year in my oak barrel, one of me just wants to tabulate real estate data and has no interest in making beer.........where's my little dog........today I bake, tomorrow brew, the next I'll have the young queen's child, ha, glad am I that no one knew, that Rumpelstiltskin I am styled.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
Steve

Can I enter one for each peorson that I pretend to be on AHB? ;)

One of me wants to make a traditional porter based upon the Durben Park Beer Circle recipes, one of me wants to add some spice like days of old, one of meet wants to age it for a year in my oak barrel, one of me just wants to tabulate real estate data and has no interest in making beer.........where's my little dog........today I bake, tomorrow brew, the next I'll have the young queen's child, ha, glad am I that no one knew, that Rumpelstiltskin I am styled.

Cheers
MAH
[post="85945"][/post]​

The dog has me a bit worried --- definately needs a protien rest.

Now I know it is really freaky to quote oneself but -----

chiller said:
Well after our carefully crafted poll --

One entry per brewer

There is only one Porter style for this next Paddle -- please see the style giudelines.

Robust Porter.

Of course feel free to ask your questions

What do they say there is no such thing as a stupid question ---------

So I should start to hear the sound of happy NASA burners [and others] roaring into life soon.

Steve
[post="85851"][/post]​

Back