Brewers -- Mash Paddle 2006 Is A Porter !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, guility as charged. I've never paid particular attention to the Mash Paddle.

Can somebody enlighten me to the why, how who, where when etc.

Criteria. I want criteria do you hear me? :unsure: :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Okay, guility as charged. I've never paid particular attention to the Mash Paddle.

Can somebody enlighten me to the why, how who, where when etc.

Criteria. I want criteria do you hear me? :unsure: :lol:

Warren -
[post="85172"][/post]​

Check Chiller's post at the top of this thread. They are your criteria!

That's it - we have now all seen Chiller's entire butt!

May the best butt win!

Chiller,

You've just inspired my change over to AG. I don't have a snow-ball's chance in hell of winning but to let my favourite style slip by without entering would be a crime.

bring it on home.
I must say old chap what your doing here certainly makes the statement the stones once said 'what a drag it is getting old' mean little to nothing. I'd quite happily be that old blind fart living in the old porter vat.

Porter is quoted sometimes as having a cloudy history yet sometimes referred to has having the best historical records out of any beer from around the same time. So yet sometimes cloudy it does seem there is more historical info about porter than quite a lot of other styles.
The snippet that comes to mind is the mass produced beer that was aged in skyscaper sized wooden vats for a year, and may well have been the original down fall of small breweries around the time.
I'd love to talk more about the history of porter but i'll save it for another day.

I will add seans choice of yeast seems the best choice so far, i think wyeast 1098 would be considered the number one porter yeast of all time, second to that i would be looking at wyeast 1028, after that go for what ever knocks you out, euro ale, american ale, you could even use a lager yeast, because i think the winning beer will be all about magic not just a good porter that fits the guidelines.

I can sit here and wonder at how i bet most people are thinking 'iam using cararoma in mine without a doubt', bloody oath i will be too, anyway iam gunna have to end this story short and continue later because i have to much to say and can't be bothered typing right now.

If you use brown malt in it your a braver man than I.
Jayse

jayse said:
Jayse
[post="85243"][/post]​

Never let it be said that I shrink from a challenge :p Brown malt it is!

Well, at least I have a year to experiment and resile from any foolhardy decisions.

I agree with 1098 Jayse , in fact I brewed a double batch yesterday for our Xmas case.

One with 1098 ,the other I used Nottinham

Good luck too all , only 12 months to think about it :blink:

Batz

Hey Jayse.

Don't forget to "Robust Up" your Porter as you once told me. :lol:

Warren -

Chiller,

your instructions aren't clear. How big do the bottles have to be? Are we allowed to use fruit? What percentage of extract am I allowed to use If I want it to be all grain?

:p

Cheers - Snow. ;)

jayse said:
Jayse
[post="85243"][/post]​

Brown Malt is fine. If you let it age it comes up well. :beerbang:

Warren -

Snow said:
Chiller,

your instructions aren't clear. How big do the bottles have to be? Are we allowed to use fruit? What percentage of extract am I allowed to use If I want it to be all grain?

Cheers - Snow. ;)
[post="85265"][/post]​

The Paddle is always Coopers type Pet bottles , it is an all grain comp. no extracts

Batz

Mercs Own said:
Hargreaves Hill has just released his Porter. I had one the other day and enjoyed it very much. I would prefer to have a couple more and preferably not after coming home from the horse races having consumed too many crownies!!!

I found it in a pub on Courtney rd or st in North Melbourne (around the corner from the old Red Back Brewery - havent seen it in the bottle shop yet but I am sure it is out. I am sure it would be a good guideline Porter and I reckon better the the JS Porter.
[post="85161"][/post]​

Was that the Castle Hotel Mercs?

Rob.

I think the Castle is the only one in that location. Would have to be it. :unsure:

Warren -

Batz,

Ahem....

chiller said:
This year there will only be a single round of judging so you need only to submit 1 long kneck or 2 stubbies.
[post="85112"][/post]​

warrenlw63 said:
Rob.

I think the Castle is the only one in that location. Would have to be it. :unsure:

Warren -
[post="85272"][/post]​

Right across the road from work. Might just wander over later & have a look.

Rob.

If it's not the Castle try the Metro. :beerbang:

If it's a good drop let me know. May have to check it out myself.

Warren -

this is one mash paddle i definetly dont want to miss out on.porter is one of my fav styles so with a year to brew and experiment im in.

cheers
big d

Darren said:
Steve,
Did I read it correctly that only all-grain brewers can enter? This is a scandal <_<
[post="85164"][/post]​

I'm assuming you're old enough to realise this, but life is full of scandals and this is not one of them.

The Mash Paddle is ----------

Only open to all grain brewers --- or those who are prepared to brew an all grain beer.

It is the premiere All grain [actually the only exclusively all grain] brewing competition in Australian homebrewing circles.

Within ANAWBS there is also a beer exclusively for Kit makers [no All grain beers allowed]
Scandalous really :)

Steve

Batz said:
Snow said:
Chiller,

Cheers - Snow. ;)
[post="85265"][/post]​

The Paddle is always Coopers type Pet bottles , it is an all grain comp. no extracts

Batz
[post="85270"][/post]​

Ah, god bless ya, Batz - I knew someone would bite! :lol:

Cheers - Snow.

WillM said:
Please don't shoot me down (I'm new to this forum), can someone give me a link where I can get some background on ANAWBS and the waht mash paddle legend is all about?

Here's a Michael Jackson take on porter:
http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000041.html
[post="85321"][/post]​

You should go a long way here WillM ---- Legend :)

Stu are you listening -- give the lad a link to ANAWBS site if you please.

Steve

Latest posts

Back