Brewers -- Mash Paddle 2006 Is A Porter !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah yess it will be interesting.

I have gone out on a limb to see if it works before i brew later on.

A few different porters on the shelf wont go astray this winter.

I agree barry.

I sent a wheat beer off to a comp that was almost a year old and the comments said.......... too young :huh:

it must be difficult though........ i dont recon i could do it so i wont criticise :)

And i anit rocking no competition boats this year either :) I got myself in trouble last year.

Will leave it to the people in charge. cant wait......... this is a great thing :)

cheers

I think i will have a crack at the paddle this year. I didnt last year because the beer had to be in P.E.T bottles..... :angry:

Its taken me about two weeks to decide my grain bill for the porter, but all going well it should be mashed this tuesday. Never made one before :blink: , but i figure starting early will give me time to test and tune.

All the best to all other entrants!

Mudsta :beerbang:

Hey mudsta,

Guess you don't want to know that by the time it got rolled into ANAWBS, PET was no longer a requirement, as far as I can recall.

Either way, I look forward to seeing you at the awards ceremony again this year :)

Yeah i rang david i think it was. He said they were thinking about allowing glass into it. But by that stage it was nearly the cut off date and i didnt want to re-bottle any of my brews.

Didnt really bother me not going in it. But this year ill have a crack.

Yeah would be good to catch up at the awards ceremony again, ill probably see you at a brew day in town before that though.

Ill bring you a wheat beer for a sample kai :chug: (yet to be brewed)

Mudsta :beerbang:

Doc said:
I've had Designing Great Beers out reading up about Robust Porters.
Been a while since I brewed one, and can't really remember what my last one tasted like (except for the Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter :p )
I think I have a plan coming together and am even thinking of doing some yeast blending.
Don't think I'll add any Brett but it does appear to be an option.

Beers,
Doc
[post="86077"][/post]​

I think I've nailed my entry. Might have peaked a bit too early though with the comp still 6+ months away.
May have to brew it again in another couple of months just to make sure I'm in and in case I drain the keg before securing a bottle or two.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Doc said:
I've had Designing Great Beers out reading up about Robust Porters.
[post="86077"][/post]​

I think I've nailed my entry. Might have peaked a bit too early though with the comp still 6+ months away.
[post="112775"][/post]​

One of my recent book purchases has been Terry Foster's Porter in the beer style guidelines series. But I am sure that is just coincidence!

Doc, historically one of the things that differentiated porter was that it was one of the first British beers brewed with an eye to ageing. Hence the newly industrialisinig brewers with economies of scale and capital behind them came to dominate the scene, the smaller pub brewers and the like couldn't afford to hang on to their stocks long enough.

My worry is that by the time I get around to brewing one, it will still be in a nappy come September 29

thats why mine is aging away hapilly stu.

I think nothing ages better that a strong dark ale.

the older they are the better they get.

Just my opinion but i have read about porters and i see a lot of frases like "punters payed a premium price for the best "WELL AGED" Porters.

sitting in secondary clearing out and smoothing out before being bottled shortly.

I find a beer that carbonated slowly in the bottle over a long perion has a much better head too, its like whipped cream.

cheers and cant wait for the comp.

The chech pils i brewed yesterday will be there with bells on :)

and my ESB and schwarzbier and tripple and anything elsi i brew before then that sworth sending.

Tony said:
anything elsi i brew before then that sworth sending.

don't forget the 4 "new" styles we are adding to ANAWBS this year:

English Mild
IPA,
Bock/Doppelbock and
American Brown

american brown hey.im brewing a good ol boys moose drool day after tomorrow that fits right up that alley.hope it turns out well.

cheers
big d

American Brown, top style. I would like to hit all of those categories this year, stu.

Please read carefully - again -- or for the first time -- the provided guidlines.
My understanding of Robust Porter is that it is open to interpretation and really has no geographic boundries english or other. If American yeast can be used why then can american hops not be used? BJCP

12B. Robust Porter
Aroma: Roasty aroma (often with a lightly burnt, black malt character) should be noticeable and may be moderately strong. Optionally may also show some additional malt character in support (grainy, bready, toffee-like, caramelly, chocolate, coffee, rich, and/or sweet). Hop aroma low to high (US or UK varieties). Some American versions may be dry-hopped. Fruity esters are moderate to none. Diacetyl low to none. Their is no such thing as English Porter in the BJCP only Brown, Baltic and Robust.

I just want to use Cascade!!!! Please let me use the four C's!!!!

Cheers, JJ

Jimmyjack, the guidelines for the Mash Paddle are not the BJCP guidelines for the robust porter style.

They are the guidelines as set by the creator and organisers of the mash paddle competition.

In some areas these guidelines may be more restrictive than the BJCP ones, in others they may be more liberating. Therein lies the fascination, and sometimes the frustration, of this competition.

The challenge for the mash paddle, this year, as in previous years, is to produce an all grain beer to this year's requirements.

They are the guidelines as set by the creator and organisers of the mash paddle competition

Thats cool, I guess if you want to enter the comp then you must abide by those preset requirements. One of the reasons i started Ag brewing was because it gave me the ability to brew without restriction. i guess I dont like following rules that stop me from brewing creative beer. Perhaps because of that reason i will never be a good competition brewer. I do think that it will be hard to distinguish 150 different beers majority hopped with fuggles!! It is unfortunate because Porter as a style in most brewing comps is open to interpretation and thats what makes it such a fun beer to brew!!! However that is beyond the scope of this thread. Oh well i guess I better revisit the days where I lived in High Street Kinsington just off off Hyde Park and dig up some English hops.

Cheers, Jj

Just smoke all your malt over an open fire.

That would make it pretty much original.

johnno

johnno said:

johnno
[post="113098"][/post]​

I'm still planning on using brown malt in mine, I thought that was out there enough ;)

i was brewing my rogenbier today and deciced to have a porter....

Ohhh its nice, its the best dark ale i have ever brewed.....

here is a pic..... 3 weeks in the glass and slready lacing :)

will probably come last ;) but thats life :p

cheers

Sampling my mash paddle porter right now after three weeks in the bottle. Should be nicely ready by judging time. Right now it's coming across as either a full bodied dark ale or a mildly roasty and burnt brown.

I'm thinking the judges are really going to have their work cut out for them this year, I'm happy with mine yet I am sure there are going to be plenty of even better entries. I'm betting it will be a close race.

[edit] mine has dead sexy lacing, just like tony's.

johnno said:

johnno
[post="113098"][/post]​

I'm still planning on using brown malt in mine, I thought that was out there enough ;)

Hey Stu,
I made mine with 1 kilo of home roasted Brown malt, definately gives it a different taste and aroma.
it's based on the Whitbread 19th century porter so I assume adding brown malt is historically correct :p .
tastes nice too.

Cheers
Andrew

P.S Good luck to all the entrants, and the judges too.

Hey Stu,
I made mine with 1 kilo of home roasted Brown malt, definately gives it a different taste and aroma.
it's based on the Whitbread 19th century porter so I assume adding brown malt is historically correct :p .
tastes nice too.

Cheers
Andrew

P.S Good luck to all the entrants, and the judges too.

I got a little timid. Mine has only 3% Thomas Fawcett Brown Malt, so probably not as historically authentic as yours Andrew, but it has imparted noticeable taste. Well, at any rate it managed to cut through the mother of all head colds I am suffering from and still left an impression :p

Best of luck to everyone involved, looking set to be ripper of a paddle this year.

Not long to go now though, entries close 29 September.

And remember, if you live in Victoria - ANAWBS now offer free transport of your entries through 3 CellerPlus drop off points in Epping, Clayton and North Melbourne.

Latest posts

Back