Brewer's Gold Hops In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using these hops tomorrow, for my 1st attempt at making something close to Crouchvales Brewers Gold.

Brewers Gold Summer Ale.
English Summer Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 16/10/2007
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (mash) Misc
4.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Bairds) (5.2 EBC) Grain 90.38 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.62 %
35.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
90.00 gm Brewer's Gold [5.00 %] (2 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Table Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs CraftBrewer American Ale (DCL #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.13 %
Bitterness: 32.7 IBU
Est Color: 7.8 EBC Color: Color
Mash at 64c - Single infusion Batch sparge

cheers Ross

Ross,

A couple of websites I've read and yourself state that Crouch Vale use Brewers Gold exclusively in their golden ale.

Why then with the Amarillo? Wouldn't a 100% addition be best to get a feel for the hop?

Cheers.

Ross,

A couple of websites I've read and yourself state that Crouch Vale use Brewers Gold exclusively in their golden ale.

Why then with the Amarillo? Wouldn't a 100% addition be best to get a feel for the hop?

Cheers.

Duff,

I toyed with straight BG, but its a fairly aggresive bittering hop from what i've read, whereas the BG beer I had in the UK was gorgeous.
From my investigations, I believe they use a single large addition of BG at the end, but I can't believe a commercial brewery would add the volume necessary (5% AA) to achieve this, so since the same brewery do a few Amarillo ales, i took a punt that they may use this for bittering (certainly tastes like it may). In the end I dropped the bittering amount & split the Brewers Gold to 15 mins & 2 mins as below.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.2 EBC) Grain 90.38 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.62 %
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
40.00 gm Brewer's Gold [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
50.00 gm Brewer's Gold [5.00 %] (2 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs CraftBrewer American Ale (DCL #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Cheers Ross

I toyed with straight BG, but its a fairly aggresive bittering hop from what i've read, whereas the BG beer I had in the UK was gorgeous.
From my investigations, I believe they use a single large addition of BG at the end, but I can't believe a commercial brewery would add the volume necessary (5% AA) to achieve this, so since the same brewery do a few Amarillo ales, i took a punt that they may use this for bittering (certainly tastes like it may). In the end I dropped the bittering amount & split the Brewers Gold to 15 mins & 2 mins as below.

Thanks. I guess then it might best be treated like Columbus.

Might give some a try with 100% MO from 20min.

Cheers.

Unlucky Rossco

You realise however this does give hope to us 'mortals' - knowing that the 'pro's' do have brew days from hell aswell.

Maybe akin to Tiger Woods having a Shank on the first tee - doesnt happen very often - but the 'amateurs' amongst us can connect.

There is hope for us.

RM

No Scotty, they are a "tall" variety. Been around since 1934.
Would appear they've generally been considered a bittering hop, but that was probably because the Europeans wern't too keen on the resinous American style hops. I'd never really heard much about them before Crouch Vale produced their excellent Ales using them. They smell beautiful - will be interesting to see how well they go...

cheers Ross

Were the Brewer's Gold the root stock from which Pride Of Ringwood was developed?

James

Were the Brewer's Gold the root stock from which Pride Of Ringwood was developed?

James

Hi James,

No, POR is a 2nd generation cross between a wild Tasmanian Hop and the old English hop called "Pride of Kent"

cheers Ross

Hi James,

No, POR is a 2nd generation cross between a wild Tasmanian Hop and the old English hop called "Pride of Kent"

cheers Ross

Have you tried these "wild" hops yet Ross? Sounds like a bit of fun. Does anybody stock them, or should I look on ebay for a cutting?
James

Now there's a thought James... Maybe a "wild hop hunt" is in order??? :D

I have some semi-wild hops at the moment - I planted some in the ground and then went away for a few weeks. Maybe I should let them go totally feral and corner the market??? :lol:

Now there's a thought James... Maybe a "wild hop hunt" is in order??? :D

I have some semi-wild hops at the moment - I planted some in the ground and then went away for a few weeks. Maybe I should let them go totally feral and corner the market??? :lol:

TD - If you know what type of hops they are, then they're not really wild are they? It would be interesting to know whether there are any "wild" hop types available, or maybe POR is as close as we get? I guess there must be some growing wild somewhere in the hop growing regions Of NZ, Tas & Vic, might be time for a road trip during the next harvest. I wonder if we could consider them Organic? How do you work out the alphas on your home-grown hops TD?
Catch Ya
James

Have you tried these "wild" hops yet Ross? Sounds like a bit of fun. Does anybody stock them, or should I look on ebay for a cutting?
James

Hi Jim,

Sorry, only just noticed your question...

Not tried any wild hops & never seen any either. I guess if you can find some & then rub them in the palms of your hands, you should get a good idea of the aroma they'll give off. Would be a fun experiment if anyone has access to some.

cheers Ross

Hi Jim,

Sorry, only just noticed your question...

Not tried any wild hops & never seen any either. I guess if you can find some & then rub them in the palms of your hands, you should get a good idea of the aroma they'll give off. Would be a fun experiment if anyone has access to some.

cheers Ross

You could probably drive to places where wild hops grow in SE Qld within 40 min of your place Ross. They grow around the Great Dividing Range, have a pinkish foliage and flowers, don't think I'd use them in Beer.

Screwy

You could probably drive to places where wild hops grow in SE Qld within 40 min of your place Ross. They grow around the Great Dividing Range, have a pinkish foliage and flowers, don't think I'd use them in Beer.

Screwy

:lol:
Hey Screwy
If the unavailability of commercial hops drives the price up too much I can imagine armies of desperate brewers tearing the great dividing range apart in their quest to brew beer. On the serious side I think it could well lead to a healthy increase in the home cultivation of hops.

Cheers Altstart

Well, I am just drinking a pint of Crouch Vale Brewer's gold, that a mate was kind enough to bring back from 'Blighty. I was wondering, Ross, where does the honey type flavour come from?

Aroma is a bit subdued from the bottle, but the hop flavour is really good,
I am trying to culture what looked like yeast at the bottle of the bottle

Well, I am just drinking a pint of Crouch Vale Brewer's gold, that a mate was kind enough to bring back from 'Blighty. I was wondering, Ross, where does the honey type flavour come from?

Aroma is a bit subdued from the bottle, but the hop flavour is really good,
I am trying to culture what looked like yeast at the bottle of the bottle

Sorry Sinkas, missed your question.

I find that MO can give quite a honeyed sweetness, but I'm pretty sure CV use at least 50% lager malt, so maybe UK lager malt has some of these properties, I don't know - I might give it a go. Not having had a Brewers Gold in 2 years though I can't really comment, as I don't honestly remember whether it had a honeyed sweetness or not from the cask - Maybe Kook can remember?
Let me know how you go with the yeast, if successfull I might get a few bottles sent over.

Cheers Ross

I am currently growing this variety:

http://www.paghat.com/hop.html

It is going quite well despite being native to Europe and Asia. Have not done an aroma or bittering test on them yet but they are readily available from alot of gardening centres.

Now I've got some of these suckers, I'm working on a Belgian style IPA hopefully something like De Ranke's XX Bitter - 100% Pilsner malt, hops Brewers Gold and Hallertau in 3 additions, 6.2 ABV, IBUs around 70 - according to M. Jackson.

Belgian IPA

5kg BB Pils malt
0.5kg BB Wheat malt
1tsp Calcium sulphate
Single infusion mash at 67 C
25gm Hallertau NZ aroma (60min)
30gm Brewers Gold (15min)
1/2 Whirfloc tablet (15min)
25gm Brewers Gold (5min)
10gm crushed Corriander seeds (5min)
2 X S-33 packets
Ferment ~ 21C

Maybe it could use some additional Brewers Gold as a dry hop addition? Possibly up the wheat a bit to try and carry the hops?
Should end up around 50 IBUs and 7% ABV as it stands.

I just got a 1/2kilo of Brewers Gold pellets delivered, so I will have some in the kettle later this evening. The wild hops seem very interesting. Next time I head up the bush I will ask Pat at the Faulconbridge HBS if he knows of where they grow in the Blue Mountains. I think I already know his answer :D
James

I just got a 1/2kilo of Brewers Gold pellets delivered, so I will have some in the kettle later this evening. The wild hops seem very interesting. Next time I head up the bush I will ask Pat at the Faulconbridge HBS if he knows of where they grow in the Blue Mountains. I think I already know his answer :D
James

G'day James, is that where you got the Brewers Gold? I noticed ND Brewing has them available at the moment ($25/500g from memory - not a bad deal). I'm tempted to give these a try at some stage. A mate of mine used them in an Aussie Pale Ale style beer and he reckons they worked really well!

Good luck with the wild hop hunt! If I was Pat I'd point you towards his shop's hop fridge! :lol:

T.D
You are spot on, $25 well spent. I reckon Pat will point to the back door of his shop & tell me "they are out there somewhere!" He has a nice view from the shop, but maybe too close in bush fire season.

I spotted in your signature that you are doing a side by side Nottingham Dry & Liquid yeast comparison, any joy there yet? I brewed a few dark beers on the White Labs Nottingham a few months ago. Good, user friendly yeast. I posted a question on AHB about it but didn't get an answer.
James

Latest posts

Back