Brewers Block. Give me a recipe to brew tomorrow.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
I need to order a recipe from Craftbrewer to brew tomorrow on the Sabco, and I'm wanting to brew something other than a Lager/IPA/Pale Ale/Kolsch which is what I've been brewing a lot of.

Anyone got a 10 gallon porter recipe they can throw up here for me, or any other recipe they're proud of?

Killer Triple (Belgian Tripel)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.079 (°P): 19.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 8.15 %
Colour (SRM): 5.8 (EBC): 11.4
Bitterness (IBU): 25.0 (Average)

89.16% Pilsner
9.64% Cane Sugar
1.2% Candy Syrup Extra Dark (CB)

0.9 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Doing a tangerine porter tomorrow

Golden promise 52%
Munich II 30%
Heritage Xtal 6%
Dark wheat 5%
Black Malt 4%
Cararoma 3%

OG 1055
IBU 30 Northern brewer @45 and NB and Stryian .5g/L in cube.
7.5g dried tangerine peel @5min and 2.5g in cube.

mashed at 68/72/78 for 40/20/10

1968 @ 18C

citra pale ale. mine was 10L, just scale it up.

2kg weyermann pilsner
100gm joe white medium crystal 60
100gm weyermann munich 1
100gm weyermann vienna
7gm citra (pellets, 13.5 aa%, 60 mins)
3gm citra (pellets, 13.5 aa%, 25 mins)
3gm citra (pellets, 13.5 aa%, 7 mins)
10gm citra (pellets, 13.5%, dry hopped after 4 days for 7 days)
11.5gm DCL yeast US-05 - american ale
0.5 tablet whirlfloc
mash at 65C single infusion
ferment at 16-18C

NIck JD and semad: recipes printed and put in pile of brews to do. They just sound too interesting!!! :super:

I may bottle the Killer Triple to let it age a bit. Nick: is it good with a month of aging or so (I keg), or do yo need to leave it for a few months to age out and mellow a bit?

This is none of the above and not even a typical mild, yes there are a stupid amount of spec malts, but so long as you get the ferment right, it should taste fantastic. I did one half with 1187 and the other with 1469, both were delicious.
ED: and someone thought it was a porter, but had no idea of the low abv.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 81 - My Riled Up Mild Rye
Brewer: Dan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Mild
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 72.6 l
Post Boil Volume: 70.7 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 66.0 l
Bottling Volume: 60.0 l
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 38.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.00 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
6.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
4.0 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 3 36.0 %
3.0 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 4 27.0 %
1.0 kg Brown Malt (Simpsons) (295.5 EBC) Grain 5 9.0 %
1.0 kg Caramel Rye (Weyermann) (69.0 EBC) Grain 6 9.0 %
1.0 kg Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (157.6 EBC) Grain 7 9.0 %
1.0 kg Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (19.7 EBC) Grain 8 9.0 %
0.1 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 9 0.9 %
30.00 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 17.5 IBUs
50.00 g Tettnang [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 1.5 IBUs
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 12 -
Mash Schedule: Super High Body (Low Alc)
Total Grain Weight: 11.1 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash Step Heat to 67.0 C over 0 min 67.0 C 10 min
Mash Step Heat to 71.0 C over 5 min 71.0 C 30 min
Mash Step Heat to 76.0 C over 5 min 76.0 C 10 min

You could always brew this year 18xx recipe I got from brewing records on the Shut up about Barclay Perkins blog. Of course, back then brown malt was diastatic but I'm sure that much Maris Otter could handle it.

Robust Porter

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 7.250
Total Hops (g): 35.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.29 %
Colour (SRM): 25.7 (EBC): 50.6
Bitterness (IBU): 26.3 (Rager - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
6.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (89.66%)
0.600 kg Brown Malt (8.28%)
0.150 kg Roasted Barley (2.07%)

Hop Bill
----------------
35.0 g Fuggles Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

fletcher said:
citra pale ale. mine was 10L, just scale it up.

2kg weyermann pilsner
100gm joe white medium crystal 60
100gm weyermann munich 1
100gm weyermann vienna
7gm citra (pellets, 13.5 aa%, 60 mins)
3gm citra (pellets, 13.5 aa%, 25 mins)
3gm citra (pellets, 13.5 aa%, 7 mins)
10gm citra (pellets, 13.5%, dry hopped after 4 days for 7 days)
11.5gm DCL yeast US-05 - american ale
0.5 tablet whirlfloc
mash at 65C single infusion
ferment at 16-18C

Think he wanted something other than a pale ale mate.

angus_grant said:
NIck JD and semad: recipes printed and put in pile of brews to do. They just sound too interesting!!! :super:

I may bottle the Killer Triple to let it age a bit. Nick: is it good with a month of aging or so (I keg), or do yo need to leave it for a few months to age out and mellow a bit?
Not really, but it won't hurt to age a bit. All the colour comes from the dark candy, it's the most important ingredient after the 1214.

Big on bubblegum. Needs a big healthy pitch. The Nelson isn't important - any fruity high AA hop is good in it. At 60 minutes you can still pick it up, and that's all you want, just a hint of fruity hop behind the yeast esters and phenols.

You're all very helpful!

Despite not wanting a pale ale, Fletcher's recipe is being saved for another day.

Nick JD, holy shit fella. That's on for next week.

manticle said:
Think he wanted something other than a pale ale mate.
oh der. you're right. i misread it. sorry! :mellow:

Nick JD said:
Not really, but it won't hurt to age a bit. All the colour comes from the dark candy, it's the most important ingredient after the 1214.

Big on bubblegum. Needs a big healthy pitch. The Nelson isn't important - any fruity high AA hop is good in it. At 60 minutes you can still pick it up, and that's all you want, just a hint of fruity hop behind the yeast esters and phenols.
Well, yeast, hops and syrup ordered from Craft Brewer for Nick's killer triple. Wish me luck on my first starter. This is my first big gravity beer. I had a friend jokingly complain about my last beer being a bit under-strength. Watch him choke down a couple of these bad boys... :party:

I possibly should have also done some calculations on my BIAB set up to see if it can deal with 8kgs grain. 50L pot so should be ok. Will need to rig up something to haul the bag out though. It's hard enough with 6kgs of grain. :super:

Well figured I may as well add another some-what off-topic post: Brewed Nick's killer triple on the weekend. Sheesh, was a killer to brew. BIAB blew a hole 1/2 through mash, luckily not much grain leaked out, had to engineer a bag hoist on the fly as it weighed a freaking ton. Too much for my puny IT arms.... :D

Ended up at 1062 pre-boil (before adding 750gms sugar during boil) but didn't do a reading at end of boil before no-chilling. Will do a final reading before pitching yeast. Hopefully in the ball park. Haven't been able to find a calculator online to see what affect the 750 grams would have on gravity. Was very sweet to the taste.

I grabbed some dark candi syrup from CB and Anthony mentioned adding it in about 3 or 4 days into ferment to allow the yeast to have a crack at the more complex sugars before being lazy bastards and pounding the simple sugars in the syrup. I plan on putting 11L in a mini-keg and bottling the remainder to mature over time. Saweet. Thanks for the recipe Nick.

Well just keep this thread limping along, I put 22L of killer triple wort into the fermenter last night. I also put in about 750ml of my first yeast starter. I was completely disorganised and didn't take a starting or final gravity of the starter. There was quite a lot of bubbling though and the liquid tasted vaguely beery and not sugary so some fermentation happened. :p Quite a lot of yeast sitting at the bottom after the cold crash so I think I am pretty happy with the starter. I will be a good little brewer and take some gravity readings for next time though (in my new 3L flask)

So gravity into fermenter was 1.074. Using BrewMate to work out gravity change with candi-syrup gives me 1.077 into fermenter. Not bad for my first big gravity BIAB and without a sparge, which I may do for my next big gravity effort to see what difference it makes. Should improve efficiency surely, and if sparging gets a higher SG, then I am using the grains more efficiently.

Reviewing the BrewMate sheet I should have hit 1.079 OG, so 1.077 is pretty pleasing for me.

3 days after placing in the fermenter and the SG is 1.040 so the yeast is smashing away. Will add the candi syrup tomorrow night depending on gravity. I want to give the yeast the chance to eat as much of the complex sugars before letting them bloat out on the simple sugars in the syrup.

Oh, and holy banana bomb. Opening the ferment fridge released a wave of banana and then smell of the sample tube and tasting was all banana. Hope dropping the final 20 points or so reduces the sweetness a little bit. It might be a bit too much to have a few in the one session. Can just taste the alcohol a little bit so all signs are good. Shaping up to be a cracker beer Nick. Might be a bit much for the punters to stomach though. :ph34r:

No worries Luke. I'll save you one taste. :D :chug:

I planned to do a double-brew this Saturday about a month ago and thought about seeing if you wanted to do a brew day, but realised it is the same day as the swap meet. My wife is away for the weekend so it will be just me and the wee man. So we'll see how the double brew plan turns out..............

I will be starting the first brew around 10am if you can fit it in. Brewing another Lord Nelson and still deciding on the other one. Thinking a DSGA at this stage. Have some amarillo in the fridge calling out to me every time I open the door.

Final gravity is 1011 where-as Brewmate estimated 1017 leaving me with an 8.5% ABV. It is still fairly "banana-ery" (it is so a word!) and I can taste the alcohol in it so think it will need a bit of maturing time to mellow the alcohol taste out a bit.

Still, somewhat impressed that my first big beer has come out close to gravity, abv estimates, etc, etc. Looking forward to getting this into the keg in a week after cold-crashing and seeing what it is like. :icon_drool2:

Just to continue polluting someone else's topic with my posts I kegged and bottled the tripel tonight, which I have cunningly named Van Damme Tripel Play. huh huh, see what I did there.

So an 11L keg which is currently carb'ing and some bottles which I will let mature over 6 months or so (at least that is my aim) to see how it ages. Still getting some strong banana-smells out of the fermenter. Really looking forward to this one.

Will get my Lord Nelson Cascading fermenting tomorrow night so hopefully that will finish out in 7 days or so. After that, ferment out my DSGA and then I will have the keg fridge full and I can take a breath, relax, and then plan my wee heavy which I will cube and let sit for a while until there is keg space. Hoping to keep beer supply up once I have kegs full again. A batch a month should see me right. Planning on getting an Oktoberfest beer together as well. Should get on that so I can lager it for a while.

VDTripelPlay.png

Well the Tripel has been on the gas in keg for 4 days and temptation got the better of me. :ph34r:

Under-carbonated, still a fairly hot alcohol taste, and quite "tart". So it confirmed my thoughts about letting it age a bit and mellow out dude.... The banana aroma comes out the warmer the glass gets. I think I'll bump my keg fridge up to 6 or 6.5. That temp seems to release the aromas a little better and is still cold enough in winter. Certainly a nice warming alcohol feeling once the hot taste has worn off. Looking forward to trying this again in 2 weeks time (if I can wait that long).

My brother in law always complains about the temp not being cold enough (he can see the temp reading on my STC) cause it's not 2 degrees. Seems to smash down the "warm" beers without complaint though. he he

Will clear up quite nicely in a couple of weeks. I didn't filter this one as I was bottling and wanted yeast in the bottles to carb it. Which reminds me: I should check on the bottles I put out in the garden shed. It's a nice golden colour in the glass and will hopefully clear up with some decent time in the keg.
vdInGlass.png

Thanks for the recipe Nick. I think I should have added more candi syrup. Not sure if it should be this light in colour. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back