Breweries Near Mt. Buller -

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JestersDarts

I (heart) Darts
Reaction score
G'Day Brewers!

I am heading to Mt. Buller next month for a week's skiing - and as always - my mind turns to breweries.

Does anyone know of any breweries between Mt. Buller, and Renmark?!
I am keen to check out at least a few, if they're not too out of the way.

Here's the map!

map.png

Unfortunately,till you get to Buller,you've got bugger all choices :( Mildura has the Mildura Brewery and though i've not been there they seem to be making a decent drop from reports.Echuca has the Echuca Brewery,though all their 'house' beers are contract brewed and the 5/6 times i've been there every one of them was infected to the max and i'd never recommend them.They do have a decent selection of craft beers in bottle though,and the town is well worth a stop for the tourism bit.The 'brewery' is near the historic 'port area' Don't miss "The Great Aussie Beer Shed " there,just out of town on the East side, slightly off the highway.It's well signposted.Outside of Yarrawonga,as you turn off the Murray Valley highway,on the Peechelba rd to Wangaratta,you'll find the Boorahman brewery/pub.A classic old aussie pub worth a call in for a meal,but the beer is very,very average.The owner brews 100 litre batches and again,i wouldn't recommend it.Any brewer on here could brew as good if not a lot better.Then you get to Mansfield and the Jamieson Brewery is just up the mountain a bit. :drinks: Do not under any circumstance miss going there !!!!!!! Fantastic beer and a great pub /brewery.Some of the best beer in the country without a doubt.Say g'day to Jeff and Jeanette,and stock up on their homemade fudge :kooi:

Closest one to Mt Buller is Jamieson Brewery which isn't bad for a visit. Last time I was there the meal was great and the weather just perfect for sitting outside with a brew - except for the euro wasps! Mind you it was a bit warmer then.

If you ask nicely they will give you a 1-on-1 brewery tour or you can join one of their 'groups'. I got one of the 1-on-1 tours (its not that big) and whilst fun, the brewer did have a VB gold hat on which was disturbing.

Worth a visit as the beers are tasty.

Noticing that you are going thru benalla. Thats my old stomping ground. If you can beat a path past the teenage bogan mums that have invaded sections in the last few years, make sure you stop at Hide's Bakery, down near maccas. The pies are worth the stop!

How close do you mean?

Bright Brewery is pretty nice... but mostly outdoor seating so could be a struggle in winter.

otherwise Beechworth, quaint town and brewery not bad.

How close do you mean?

Bright Brewery is pretty nice... but mostly outdoor seating so could be a struggle in winter.

otherwise Beechworth, quaint town and brewery not bad.

i didnt enjoy the beers at bright brewery, found they all tasted muted and had a very similar undertone, almost as if the same yeast strain was being used for the different style beers

i really enjoyed the bridge road on the other hand, their beers gave me flavour explosions, all unique

if you can pop upto rutherglen drop into the bakery for some pies, the jolly jumbuck is bewdiful

Hey JD.

As you already know. If you are looking for a tasty lo carb lime infused beer head to the mildura brewery. I've even heard that their special beer is like a blend between vb and draught ! .... awesome. save the disappointment nothing has changed there.

Bah! Humbug!

Hey JD.

As you already know. If you are looking for a tasty lo carb lime infused beer head to the mildura brewery. I've even heard that their special beer is like a blend between vb and draught ! .... awesome. save the disappointment nothing has changed there.

Bah! Humbug!

:lol: :lol:

I shant be stopping at mildura this time -

But thankyou to all the suggestions!
I will try to get to Bright Brewery - they have 5L mini kegs for sale I have heard..

And the recommendation for the Rutherglen bakery... brilliant! Can't miss a good bakery!

Cheers -

JD

haeding east in a month or 2 myself,almost forgot about the brewery outside of rutherglen,cant remember the name but nice beers.........cheers.......spog........

U.Outside of Yarrawonga,as you turn off the Murray Valley highway,on the Peechelba rd to Wangaratta,you'll find the Boorahman brewery/pub.A classic old aussie pub worth a call in for a meal,but the beer is very,very average.The owner brews 100 litre batches and again,i wouldn't recommend it.Any brewer on here could brew as good if not a lot better.T

Its terrible isnt it, thought the first time other things, lines etc, but the second time confirmed a never to visit again PUB. Unfortunantly the said brewer wasnt in, I had a lot of questions.

Bright have magnificent beers and are available on tap at most centres i.e Wang,Yarra etc . You could do a lot worse than grabbing a case or 2 of them and taking that with ya.

Rutherglen bakery take it or leave it, takes a special baker to spit out that special pie/pastie. At the end of the main drag in Rutherglen heading towards Yarra there was a winery/brewery, we stopped and had a tasting tray once. Does it still exist?

Its terrible isnt it, thought the first time other things, lines etc, but the second time confirmed a never to visit again PUB. Unfortunantly the said brewer wasnt in, I had a lot of questions.

Bright have magnificent beers and are available on tap at most centres i.e Wang,Yarra etc . You could do a lot worse than grabbing a case or 2 of them and taking that with ya.

Rutherglen bakery take it or leave it, takes a special baker to spit out that special pie/pastie. At the end of the main drag in Rutherglen heading towards Yarra there was a winery/brewery, we stopped and had a tasting tray once. Does it still exist?
Bintani/Bintara i think you mean, one of the sponsors of the ANHC,and from my experience nothing you'll regret missing. :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure they're the contract brewers for Echuca 'Brewery', :icon_vomit: If you do decide to call into Boorhaman ask him how he can get away with claiming it's the longest operating brewery in Oz,a total crock of shit ;)

Bintani/Bintara i think you mean, one of the sponsors of the ANHC,and from my experience nothing you'll regret missing. :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure they're the contract brewers for Echuca 'Brewery', :icon_vomit: If you do decide to call into Boorhaman ask him how he can get away with claiming it's the longest operating brewery in Oz,a total crock of shit ;)

No, its Boorhaman Toper, we fish not far from his pub.

Boorahman's the Buffalo Brewery from memory Haysie.Do you mean he's the brewer for Echuca? If he is then that explains why their beer is total crap :lol:

+1 for the beechworth (bridge road) brewery. As far as the bright brewery, I would not rate it. Been there a couple of times and both times the beer was horrible - we ride right past now.
Aparently the bintara brewery has closed down. It is now just the vintara winery. I rang a couple of months ago to try and source some malt, and was told that the entire brewery had just been sold to someone in SA.

If you are detouring to Bright, the grain and grape bar is opposite the Bright Brewery, stocks some other local micro brews like Sweetwater Brewing beers from Mt Beauty. Not on Tap just bottles.

+2 for Bridge Road Brewers in Beechworth. Spent a few afternoons here. Great beer and great pizza.

Are you a wine drinker at all JD? If so, then definitely head to Beechworth, then, on the way to (or from) Buller, get to some great wineries in the King Valley there (Dal Zotto, Pizzini, Brown Brothers etc) and in Beechworth. Stock the car up!

If not, well, more time for beer drinking :beer:

+2 for Bridge Road Brewers in Beechworth. Spent a few afternoons here. Great beer and great pizza.

Are you a wine drinker at all JD? If so, then definitely head to Beechworth, then, on the way to (or from) Buller, get to some great wineries in the King Valley there (Dal Zotto, Pizzini, Brown Brothers etc) and in Beechworth. Stock the car up!

If not, well, more time for beer drinking :beer:

Not a wine drinker as such - but thanks for the tips - i'll be sure to stop at these places if I have the opportunity.

If you are detouring to Bright, the grain and grape bar is opposite the Bright Brewery, stocks some other local micro brews like Sweetwater Brewing beers from Mt Beauty. Not on Tap just bottles.

Great Idea - I love bringing home hard to source beers!
Cheers :icon_cheers:

Another thumbs up for Bridge Road (with the exception of the Celtic Red), and Jameison (even my wife will drink their raspberry beers).

Also have to add my thumbs down to Bright Brewery, had the tasting paddle and nothing stood out and some were bordering on stale and undrinkable.

Latest posts

Back