Breweries in Oregon and Washington

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roastinrich

Reaction score
Im planning a trip to Oregon and Washington later in the year and was wondering if there are any stand out brewpubs and breweries that anyone can recommend. Don't have a lot of time so can only do half a dozen or so.
Cheers.

Been there a while back man.
Portland is a great city.

A good pub there is Henry's, insane amount of taps !! Maybe 100 or so along the one bar !
Full Sail's beers are awesome too.

There is a small pub in the Hawthorn District that serves Terminator stout……try it !!!!
Also Big Daddys BBQ. I highly recommend the blackened catfish !!

CF

Portland is kind of beer mecca. I lived there for 4 years all up, for one year in 1993 and then for three years from 2000 to 2003. I haven't been back since then so some of this may be dated. Crooked Fingers mentioned Terminator Stout. That's a McMenamin Brothers trademark beer. The McMenamins own a crapload of brewpubs, all themed, but not in a tacky way. Check out one of their theaters, my former favourite being the Baghdad in Hawthorn. Every other aisle is tables, waitresses bring you pizza and beer during the movies. Milkduds, popcorn and stout. http://www.mcmenamins.com/Theaters Also check out the Crystal Ballroom, another one of their properties, a live music venue rescued from a genuine spring-floor ballroom built in 1915 or something. Great place http://www.crystalballroompdx.com/1902-cbr-ballroom-history Those boys know a few things about what a brew pub can be.

Not sure if the New Old Lompoc is still putting out deadly beer but check it out. Also Tugboat was one of my favourites, but that's just me. The oddest little local brewpub at the time. Enter through the door of Mary's strip club and turn left. It was just this small local hangout with a lot of character and pretty good beer.

The Laurelthirst was awesome. http://www.laurelthirst.com/

Basically in Portland you can get blind drunk, stumble in some direction or another and drink at the pub you wake up in front of and you'll find good beer.

Haha.
Marys strip club !
Went there while visiting but got completely freaked out when the first girl I saw up on the stage looked exactly like my mates misses !!

Mardoo is correct, most bars have a good beer or three.

In Seattle - Fremont Brewing are amazing going there would be my number 1 priority, Schooner Exact and Big Al Brewing were also great. Elysian and Georgetown Brewing are bigger but also very good.

In Portland - The Commons and Upright Brewing would be the first places I'd go. Hair of the Dog, Deschutes and Hopworks as well. There's plenty more but they'll make a fun start. Grain and Gristle is a bar co owned by one of the Upright Brewing guys.

You've got lots of fun ahead!

My favourites in that area are Walkingman Brewpub, Deschutes and Hair of the Dog.

Walking Man is about a 50 minute drive east of Portland. It's in a small counrtry town called Stevenson. You'd want to check the opening times before heading out. If it's not cloudy and raining it's a very pretty drive out.

Deschutes is well worth a visit. They have large range of beers and if you're lucky you might be able to get some Abyss. Their stemmed glasses are my all time favourite beer drinking glasses.

If you're pressed for time I'd highly recommend checking out a few great beer bars. Bailey's Taproom, Horse Brass Pub and Apex bar are all well worth a visit. For bottle shops there's Belmont Station (it's close to Horse Brass pub).

In Seattle I stick to the bars (it's harder to get around than Portland). Brouwers is my favourite, along with Uber Tavern, Duck Island Saloon and Collins Pub. Bottleworks is worth a visit to grab some supplies.

Personally I didn't like the bars that had 100+ taps. It sounds great but some of the beers tasted like they had been sitting there way too long and the bar staff weren't really friendly like in a lot of the smaller bars.

There's so many places in Washington and Oregon you could spend a month there and still not visit half of them.

Thanks fellas, plenty of good recommendations. I'll have the wife & a 3 Y.O in tow so the strip joints may have to wait for another trip Mardoo, Crooked Fingers ! :icon_drool2: .

Hair of the Dog and Fremont sounds kid friendly and ranks well on ratebeer.com but more importantly will have great live beer on tap Brewtas. Deschutes is a pioneer so sounds like a must. A dark IPA from Rogue sounds good too to miss mb (great link BTW)

Ill keep looking over the other recommendation and links.
Thanks to all for your input.

If you're going to be in the Seattle area and can only hit one brewpub, go east of Lake Washington to Black Raven Brewing! Its worth the trip! Beaux brews some crackers! While in Redmond, you can hit up the Malt & Vine bottleshop for some takeaway or sit and drink!

Well then try The Lucky Labrador. Dog and kid friendly. Great place! Really anywhere dog friendly will be kid friendly too. Families are well-integrated into Portland life so while there, you'll have little trouble.

Also, most of the McMenamin's pubs are very family friendly. Their Kennedy School in NE Portland is very family friendly. An actual former primary school turned into pub, hotel, conference center, music venue and cinema.

Ha, I was looking at the Kennedy school this morning. Great way to keep everyone happy while sucking down some great brews and watching a kids flick. What a great concept ! The other pubs looked cool too. We could learn a thing or two from these guys.

Snowdog said:
If you're going to be in the Seattle area and can only hit one brewpub, go east of Lake Washington to Black Raven Brewing! Its worth the trip! Beaux brews some crackers! While in Redmond, you can hit up the Malt & Vine bottleshop for some takeaway or sit and drink!
Definitely have to go to Seattle. Thats where the ship sails from. I like the sound of those places, they even let you bring your own food at the Malt and Vine.

Brewpub culture in the Pacific Northwest is, by and large, a totally awesome thing. The McMenamins have clued in to the fact that there are a lot of different overlapping subcultures that want a place to hang our and have a good time. They have family pubs, Deadhead pubs, punk pubs, rocker pubs, business people pubs, film pubs and a lot of just fuckin good time pubs.

It looks like there's some similar pub culture in QLD, but I'm not sure as I haven't been there. I really want to do everything I can to make sure brewpub culture has a chance to thrive here in Melbourne and Oz as a whole. I'm not sure whether or not the US stuff would or should translate, but I am sure we can do it just as awesomely. Oz has the pub as part of the community much closer in its history than the US so it should be a natural.

Back