Brewer Wanted - Brewhouse Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew for $2 per liter - sell for $15 per liter ...what strange universe do you live in kind sir?? That's $750 per keg....

maybe - just maybe you could retail for that in a brewpub... but you have kind of ignored overheads, labour, materials and other inconvenient costs like that... The reason there aren't more brewpubs, is because your cost/profit figures come from fantasia not the actual world.

You will note I said - large breweries excepted - you can earn a far nicer living making beer for a mega brewer in a beer factory, than you will ever earn working for your "art" in a small brewery. Yes, I'm part of the problem.

maybe - just maybe you could retail for that in a brewpub...

You can't run a brewpub for $200K a year that sells 100 liters of beer per day?

$200K? Make it $250K then. What on earth are these overheads? We know for certain that a "brewer" can be had for $35K ... a "bar manager" for $45K, rent, utilities ... at $2 a liter the 30,000L of beer will only cost $60K to brew, and that's buying supplies at retail prices!

I know a few people who woyuld happily pay $5 for a schooner of Belgian Wit, or a wonderfully crafted IPA. You would.

I had a long chat with a fella in Washington State a few months back. The numbers add up - even in Australia. Which makes me wonder why I can't go and have a few at a brewpub tonight.

Big brewery mafia. And anyone who thinks that people who work for breweries actually "brew" beer is dreamin'. You don't "brew" 200,000L of beer, you operate the machinery that does. The failsafes are the reason they can pay so little - factory workers are in good supply.

You can't run a brewpub for $200K a year that sells 100 liters of beer per day?

$200K? Make it $250K then. What on earth are these overheads? We know for certain that a "brewer" can be had for $35K ... a "bar manager" for $45K, rent, utilities ... at $2 a liter the 30,000L of beer will only cost $60K to brew, and that's buying supplies at retail prices!

I know a few people who woyuld happily pay $5 for a schooner of Belgian Wit, or a wonderfully crafted IPA. You would.

I had a long chat with a fella in Washington State a few months back. The numbers add up - even in Australia. Which makes me wonder why I can't go and have a few at a brewpub tonight.

Big brewery mafia. And anyone who thinks that people who work for breweries actually "brew" beer is dreamin'. You don't "brew" 200,000L of beer, you operate the machinery that does. The failsafes are the reason they can pay so little - factory workers are in good supply.

At 5$ a schooner that around 11.80 a litre so straight away your numbers are looking inconsistent.

A bar manager, so that's what 2 people to run the bar if you include yourself? Might need a little more staff than that.
Insurance, don't forget that one.
And all these numbers are based on definitely only selling 100 litres per day, no plan for growth and what happens when you kick over the limit and excise kicks in.
I don't pretend to be an economist, but the numbers seem like a gross oversimplification.

You've also missed the point of what TB said. He actually suggests that you could earn more "pressing buttons" (your words) than you could running your own brewpub or working for a microbrewer.

30,000L per year before taxed.

The 30kL/year figure is the cut-off for receiving a partial refund, not an exemption. The refund is 60% and only up to $10K/year. ATO linky

Cheers,
tallie

Edit: Back on topic (sort of)... Shame this didn't come up a year ago - I would have jumped at the chance!

He actually suggests that you could earn more "pressing buttons" (your words) than you could running your own brewpub or working for a microbrewer.

You don't think a person could own/run a brewpub and earn more than $45K? I beg to differ.

What's being said here is that the small brewer is not profitable?

And the person saying that works for CUB?

Who woulda figgered. Anyway, back to the topic. Who wants to lug grain for $17 an hour?

drinking on the job is part of the job

...I brew Stone & Wood beer and i live in Byron Bay not 400 mtrs from work, and less than 5 mins bike ride from the beach which i can hear thru my bedroom window, my wife and children are enormously grateful to be living in such a fantastic place,and thank me near daily for moving us here and brewing beer...tommorow i will brew 5000 ltrs of Pacific Ale and oversee the packaging run...i will taste that beer several times before 7am...Brad, my boss will cook both breakfast and lunch tommorow...

...I win....:icon_cheers:

...I brew Stone & Wood beer and i live in Byron Bay not 400 mtrs from work, and less than 5 mins bike ride from the beach which i can hear thru my bedroom window, my wife and children are enormously grateful to be living in such a fantastic place,and thank me near daily for moving us here and brewing beer...tommorow i will brew 5000 ltrs of Pacific Ale and oversee the packaging run...i will taste that beer several times before 7am...Brad, my boss will cook both breakfast and lunch tommorow...

...I win.... :icon_cheers:

OK, yes you win Hargie. My job now sucks even more. :beer:

Cheers

You know so spectacularly little about what you are talking about, that its actually quite amusing to watch you babble. Go on, tell me more about what I do for a living, I learn new things about it every time you mention the subject.

Oh - and please, you have my personal invitation, come to my workplace and show the whole team where the "failsafes" are that mean they can pay us so little. I for one would be glad to know how to use them, it would afer all make my job a lot easier.

Hargie has the best job in the world - he wins. Hopefully whoever goes for and gets the job at the Brisbane Brewhouse feels the same way about it.

Good luck finding a brewer Ross.

Back when I did drink normal beer (only gluten free now), I remember the brewhouse had some very nice brews on tap. Hopefully a new brewer can spark some interesting developments in their brewing schedule.

Can't comment on Grant as a boss but as a publican he was very nice. Always very polite to his regular drunks and ran a very good bar.

FYI, it might pay to contact the Ballarat brewing univesity to see if they can recommend any up and coming brewers. Univesities are a great place to poach good staff before they step out into the market.

Thanks for the kind words 'spaced', but I'm only the messenger, I've got no interest in the Brewhouse other than hoping it becomes a major beer destination in Brisbane.
I know Grant is doing exactly as you suggested, as well as exploring other avenues, he just asked me if I'd put my feelers out for him as well.

+++

Nick, you contribute a lot of good stuff to this forum, from your practical experiences.... But seriously, from your comments you don't have the 1st idea about starting/running a brewery & I'm amazed TB is even bothering to bite...

cheers Ross

Thanks for the kind words 'spaced', but I'm only the messenger, I've got no interest in the Brewhouse other than hoping it becomes a major beer destination in Brisbane.
I know Grant is doing exactly as you suggested, as well as exploring other avenues, he just asked me if I'd put my feelers out for him as well.

+++

Nick, you contribute a lot of good stuff to this forum, from your practical experiences.... But seriously, from your comments you don't have the 1st idea about starting/running a brewery & I'm amazed TB is even bothering to bite...

cheers Ross

:beerbang:
:icon_offtopic:

Having spent the past three months running a country pub and paying c.$212 for a keg of heavy, I know how hard it is to make a quid in a pub. Though I'd do better if we could turn over that 700 litres (14 kegs) instead of the 6-8 kegs we are currently doing. And being an accountant (or professing to be one anyway) - trust me, very few people can estimate overheads unless they have been genuinely in the game. That's why they pay us accountants the BIG BUCK$. Well, those other accountants anyway!

Personally I'd love to get that job, only a lack of genuine brewing skills would mean certain disaster for Grant! Best to have people like me as an irregular customer!

TB is not an apologist for the big breweries, he is an intelligent man who works in a brewery and has stood firm in defending his employer from silly tirades and rants. He is a fine and seemingly passionate homebrewer who, his employment aside, has willingly shared his knowledge and opinions with all who frequent this site.

He also has poor tastes in hats. :beerbang:

I would love to snap up an opportunity to work in such a place. Im currently in the process of a career change and have my heart set on the brewing industry. Regardless of money how good would it be to sit down and enjoy the beer that you know you've had a part in brewing. Better still how good would it feel to see joe public doing the same.
Ive been reading through this forum for about the last month and have had sooooo many questions answered without even having to post yet. Im super new to brewing (read im yet to do one of my own, but I have helped out a friend with the nano-brewery he has in his winery) but i have fairly extensive experience with the consumption side of the game( dont we all). I want to really get a good understanding of the principles and processes before I attempt my own brew, and I plan on starting with a simple kit job.
Ive also started studying for the GBC exam offered by the IBD in order to get some form of formal qualifications.

Anyway pity im in Perth or Id be at least making myself known even if didnt eventuate to anything. Money isnt everything in life. Being able to enjoy everyday and be passionate about what you do gives me so much more satisfaction.

Cheers
Brett.

TB is not an apologist for the big breweries, he is an intelligent man who works in a brewery and has stood firm in defending his employer from silly tirades and rants. He is a fine and seemingly passionate homebrewer who, his employment aside, has willingly shared his knowledge and opinions with all who frequent this site.

His contributions dont go un-noticed around here either.One of the go to men. In my opinion.
Daz

Well a stove topper telling a pro brewer how it is in their profession.

You must have 4 mirrors in every feckn room you entre. Well done!

Latest posts

Back