Brewdog 5am Saint

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Tasted my first Brewdog beers last night. Had the 5am Saint, Punk IPA and a Southern Tier IPA. All very nice and worth it over other commercial stuff by far as usual.

Who else has tried this beer?

The hops used are "Simcoe, Chinook, Nelson Sauvin, Centennial"

I have only ever used and tasted Centennial before but the aroma wasn't it. It was almost like strawberry/lychee smell. It was awesome!

Anyway I am looking to replicate this aroma and taste. In your experience which of these hops would be used for dry hopping this beer?

Here's the beer I am talking about.
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3867

Thanks! :)

Southern Tier is Southern Tier, not Brewdog, right? ANyway, I didn't like the southern tier IPA. I mean, nothing wrong with it, but compared to other IPA's floating around at the same price level, it was pretty "meh". Nothing against Southern Tier though 'cause the Souther Tier Iniquity is :icon_drool2:

Haven't had the punk IPA, but had the 5AM saint a week or two back at some bar in the city (Melb). I was disappointed, 'cause I was after something maltier ("Intergalactic Amber Ale" was the marketing blur, and I felt like an amber!), and I found it was all about the hops. As a hoppy ale though, I thought it was a corker. I just wanted something different at the time :)

Also from BrewDog I've:
- shared a tokyo*. Great beer. Minimal roast flavour (hate coffee), I got plums, rasberries and sherry. And alcohol!! Definitely a sipper.
- brewdog/mikeller devine rebel. My first barleywine and I loved it. After having a few barleywines since then, I still rate the devine rebel very highly. (Nogne O #100 rates right up there as well).

So to summarise - BrewDog = :)

i had the devine rebel last night and thought it was a bit meh. for such a big beer it just didnt seem to have a big flavour,but it did hide the alcahol well but.if i hadnt known i would have said it was around 6-7 percent.

Southern Tier is Southern Tier, not Brewdog, right? ANyway, I didn't like the southern tier IPA. I mean, nothing wrong with it, but compared to other IPA's floating around at the same price level, it was pretty "meh". Nothing against Southern Tier though 'cause the Souther Tier Iniquity is :icon_drool2:

Haven't had the punk IPA, but had the 5AM saint a week or two back at some bar in the city (Melb). I was disappointed, 'cause I was after something maltier ("Intergalactic Amber Ale" was the marketing blur, and I felt like an amber!), and I found it was all about the hops. As a hoppy ale though, I thought it was a corker. I just wanted something different at the time :)

Also from BrewDog I've:
- shared a tokyo*. Great beer. Minimal roast flavour (hate coffee), I got plums, rasberries and sherry. And alcohol!! Definitely a sipper.
- brewdog/mikeller devine rebel. My first barleywine and I loved it. After having a few barleywines since then, I still rate the devine rebel very highly. (Nogne O #100 rates right up there as well).

So to summarise - BrewDog = :)

Yeh I just through the Southern Tier in there as I got it with the CB order. They were out of Brewdog Doggy Style Pale Ale so they swapped it in.

I will make sure to always to get a bottle or 2 of this with my orders from now on! Love the 5am Saint!

There have been two shipments of 5am Saint in Aus, each with different hop schedules. I am not sure which was in which, but there are others on here who do know. You'll need to find out which batch you had... Personally I preferred the first.

Just browsing the BrewDog site and found what I was after.

"Hops:
Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo / Dry Hops: Simcoe, cascade, centennial. ahtanum, Nelson Sauvin"

What a mixture!

Yeah I would have picked Nelson for the lychee type aroma...Sounds like an interesting drop though. Might have to track it down!

Yeah I would have picked Nelson for the lychee type aroma...Sounds like an interesting drop though. Might have to track it down!

Thank you very much. Will pick some up next order.

:icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Got a 4 pack from local bottle shop and am very disappointed. It's not the same as what I had earlier in the year! Aroma doesn't seem to be as stein as I remember and the flavour is dominated by a sourish kind of vegetable taste. Really disappointed as I remember it tasting alot different. Perhaps this is a different batch/recipe as said by a couple on this forum...

Sorry to bump this thread but it really annoys me what has happened.

After naming it my favourite beer I was over the moon with my boutique beer shop getting it in. The batch/recipe/shipment/whatever tasted ALOT different and had a pronounced vegetable taste/flavour.

Could it just be bad handling? The use by date was fine by 8months.

Has anyone else noticed this with recent 5am Saints?

Actually grabbed one from G&G yesterday, nothing vegetal in there for me. Not sure of the BB date but I'll have a look for you when I get home if you like

Actually grabbed one from G&G yesterday, nothing vegetal in there for me. Not sure of the BB date but I'll have a look for you when I get home if you like

Cheers mate. I mentioned my feelings to the local shop manager and he said he would look into it. I am going to go back and get another 4 pack and try them again and take note of batch number. I sort of forgot about it all as my question with BrewDog was given a response and I was "told will look into it and get back to you" which never happened.

I will keep chipping away at finding what the go is. Just p!ssed me off that I found a beer that is perfect to my taste and the batch that is sold locally is not what I originally tried.

I am also going to order a stubbie or 2 from beercartel and slowbeer to see if I can find the original taste and compare batch numbers.

Mmmmm, there's nothing on the label or bottle anywhere

b154517f.jpg

That's interesting!

The batch on mine is "222" and BB is 29/08/2011

Latest posts

Back