Brewbrite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any potential issues in using both whirfloc and brewbrite?

or is it just overkill and a waste?

I mistakenly thought whirfloc was for helping to drop crap out of the kettle, whereas brewbrite worked later on in the fermentation process... wrong?

just read... it contains whirfloc (essentially) as well as PVPP.... got it.

Don't tell me i'm still wearing my beer goggles from last night???

Note to self:

"must be able to see straight in the morning, must be able to see straight in the morning, must be able..."

I've been keeping mine in the freezer as its dry as a bone in there. No dramas so far.

I cant seem to find any retailer in Sydney carrying brewbrite. I'm sick to death of postage costs. Anyone know of any (maybe some of the newbie shops in Sydney) retailers in Sydney carrying it? Nothing at Daves, ESB, Absolute or Southern Highlands. WTF is going on?

mckenry said:
I cant seem to find any retailer in Sydney carrying brewbrite. I'm sick to death of postage costs. Anyone know of any (maybe some of the newbie shops in Sydney) retailers in Sydney carrying it? Nothing at Daves, ESB, Absolute or Southern Highlands. WTF is going on?
there are some good areas in and around Newcastle.

I'm interested in this product, is it only for all-grain brewing or would you use it in extract brewing? Say, at the end of the hop/wort boil...

menoetes said:
I'm interested in this product, is it only for all-grain brewing or would you use it in extract brewing? Say, at the end of the hop/wort boil...
If you are getting break material in there then you could be using it.

I don't use any fining agents, I don't cold crash, just primary and secondary fermentation with a bit of patience.

Picture 149.jpg

Patience (up to a point anyway) can make a big difference to your brewing, BrewBright is a "Process Aid" it just makes something that will happen naturally happen faster/easier, you don't have to use it.
That said it does make whirlpooling and trub separation quicker and easier and helps you get more wort out of your kettle and improves the shelf life of your beer.
For me its a trade off, and for the relatively small cost I'm happy to get the time back that I would otherwise spend standing around waiting for things to happen naturally, not a right wrong answer - just a choice between trade-offs.

If you are boiling kit or extract beers BrewBright will help any hot break that forms to settle better, out to ridiculously long boils (8+ Hours) hot break will continue to form, protein will continue to condense and form flock, the most harmful high molecular weight protein will condense first and as time passes more and more of the smaller proteins will break. at some point you would start removing protein that we actually want in the beer (head and mouth feel).
At about 3 hours all of the really high molecular weight protein will be gone, most of the mid range and about half of the lower weight potentially beneficial protein will have broken.
Where I'm heading with this is that in spite of being a bit of an anti hot break Nazi, well made extract should have had most of the high MW protein removed during its manufacture, so you would need to be a lot less concerned about break material than would a brewer starting with the full concentration of protein that we find in a new wort.
Naturally if you are working with the cheapest crap on the market its liable to be made from enzyme extracted raw animal feed grade barley (and any other cheap grain) and be chockers with protein and other crap we don't want in beer - I could tell you about a sample I got once... (well it might have been OK for making biscuits but never for brewing), you would have lots of other problems besides protein, but BrewBright would help with that at least.
Mark

wide eyed and legless said:
I don't use any fining agents, I don't cold crash, just primary and secondary fermentation with a bit of patience.
You dont use any kettle fining?

I only use Irish moss also.

If I want kegged beer to be bright I then use gelatine in the keg.

Would BrewBright be a better option ? I've never used anything other than Irish Moss.

menoetes said:
If you're using a half decent extract, it won't be necessary. I'd save the $ and put it towards a good yeast.

Martin

431neb said:
I only use Irish moss also.

If I want kegged beer to be bright I then use gelatine in the keg.

Would BrewBright be a better option ? I've never used anything other than Irish Moss.

gelatine works on yeast whilst Brewbrite acts on haze forming polyphenols and hot break. If chill haze isn't an issue, don't bother

Regarding the storage of Brewbrite, I wonder if there are some storage related considerations. I had been using a packet bought from Ross at CB which worked well and suddenly noticed the last couple of beers hadn't cleared very well at all and I *think* I've traced it back to the fact the brewbrite I've used in the last couple of brews is from a different supplier. The beers were the same (american pale ale), the yeast was the same, the brewing process and ingredients were basically the same. Which leads me to the conclusion the storage of the product has impacted its efficacy.

Latest posts

Back