Brew Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kocken42

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I live in a semi-rural area, and my source of water is from a rainwater tank...

It is OK for brewing as it is perfectly fine for drinking, but even when drinking the water I notice a sweetness to it. A brew or two that I have done using this water seems to contain this similar sweet tinge from the water.

I am just looking for somne guidance for what I should do...

- I could drive to town and fill up my cube with town tap water (high chlorine level) and take it home,
- I could try distilling my own water and then add chemicals, but feel it would take forever to do enough for 23 litres,
- I could buy bottled water from Coles, which would drastrically increase my costs.

Any help is appreciated!

Hey guys,

I live in a semi-rural area, and my source of water is from a rainwater tank...

It is OK for brewing as it is perfectly fine for drinking, but even when drinking the water I notice a sweetness to it. A brew or two that I have done using this water seems to contain this similar sweet tinge from the water.

I am just looking for somne guidance for what I should do...

- I could drive to town and fill up my cube with town tap water (high chlorine level) and take it home,
- I could try distilling my own water and then add chemicals, but feel it would take forever to do enough for 23 litres,
- I could buy bottled water from Coles, which would drastrically increase my costs.

Any help is appreciated!

As an idea, you could get the town water and then boil it to remove the chlorine. If you're boiling then you are half way to AG anyway though so you might want to try that?

Cheers

Clint

Do other people notice it too? Perhaps it it just your taste buds being a bit different...

What sort of brewing are you doing? K&K, extract, AG?

You should be boiling your water for your brews anyway, as tank water will have microbes and stuff growing in it. It will probably also have bird poo and leaves and dust from your roof in it as well.

A carbon filter may help, but for the ultimate you could using an RO system like Gryphon Brewing sells (no affliation blah blah). I tried to post the link but didn't work. Go to www.gryphonbrewing.com.au and look for reverse osmosis units.

What sort of brewing are you doing? K&K, extract, AG?

You should be boiling your water for your brews anyway, as tank water will have microbes and stuff growing in it. It will probably also have bird poo and leaves and dust from your roof in it as well.

A carbon filter may help, but for the ultimate you could using an RO system like Gryphon Brewing sells (no affliation blah blah). I tried to post the link but didn't work. Go to www.gryphonbrewing.com.au and look for reverse osmosis units.

Pressure might be an issue direct from the tank though. I'd suggest contacting Gryphon and see what pressure these things run at.

what about cartridge filter
Code:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Twin-Pack-Water-Filter-caravan-tank-boat-4-free-Filt-/250686699204?pt=AU_Home_Appliances&hash=item3a5e1776c4
or something like
Code:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PORTABLE-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-KIT-FILTERS-OUT-FLUORIDE-/250671119766?pt=AU_Home_Appliances&hash=item3a5d29bd96

The rain-water is good for drinking and is already filtered once it leaves the tank, I think it may also flow past a UV light for sterilisation...it also has a pump on it which kicks in once the taps been on for a few seconds.

I have read that rainwater lacks essential nutrients which are quite important when brewing beer...the sweet tinge is not bad, it's actually one of those "mmm that's real fresh rainwater right there" kinda feelings, but the best beer doesn't come from the purest water in my opinion.

I'm doing K&K and extract brewing right now, and will move to BIAB when I get up to Perth next to buy some swiss voile.

I think i'll just get some water from town at this point as it's nutritional qualities are much better than standard rainwater, or I may look at small water buildings on the rainwater.

Thanks for all the responses!

EDIT: Have just done some reading in How to Brew and noticed that in regards to K&K and extract brewing, water is not as important...aslong as it has no outstanding characteristics.

From the mouth of Palmer - "If your water tastes good, your beer should taste good."

Some nutrients are essential for yeast health.

Is the town water chlorinated with chloramines or chlorine? If it's the former, boiling won't remove it - if it's heavily chlorinated and you don't remove residuals, it can form nasty band aid flavours in the end product.

The only way I know of to get chloramines out is with metabisulphite (either sodium or potassium). Luckily my supply is just chlorine so my boil removes that.

whatever nutrients and ions from the breweries water would still be in the extract, since it is essentially a boiled down mash. god only knows in what concentrations though.

Back