Brew Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Its my first time on the site, its my second brewing, all grain .
My first BIAB was 90 minute boil,this time imbrewing a stout and it calls for 60 minute boil.
My question is ......Why does one needs to boil for 90 minutes and the other for 60 minutes?
Thank-you.

Hi guys,
Its my first time on the site, its my second brewing, all grain .
My first BIAB was 90 minute boil,this time imbrewing a stout and it calls for 60 minute boil.
My question is ......Why does one needs to boil for 90 minutes and the other for 60 minutes?
Thank-you.

In a nutshell they don't. This will have depended upon the recipe devisor as to the length of the boil. For want of a more complex explanation, the longer boil allows for more of the unwanted components to be boiled off.

Quite often the boil length is related to the length of the brew day that people are prepared to spend. The other component of this is the mash length.

Cheers Ken

A 60 minute boil is generally sufficient for most beers.

If you use a large quantity of pilsner malt it is generally recommended to do a 90 minute boil to reduce the amount of DMS (cooked corn aroma/flavour) in the finished beer. This is due to a higher concentration of SMM (precursor to DMS) in the lighter malt. For some styles a longer boil may also be preferred to increase caramelisation.

For a stout I would only do a 60 minute boil (unless for some reason you are using pilsner malt, which I wouldn't be using in a stout anyway).

In a nutshell they don't. This will have depended upon the recipe devisor as to the length of the boil. For want of a more complex explanation, the longer boil allows for more of the unwanted components to be boiled off.

Quite often the boil length is related to the length of the brew day that people are prepared to spend. The other component of this is the mash length.

Cheers Ken

Thanks Ken for that infomation.

Recipes usually only call for 90 min boils when pilsner malts are used.
The longer boil helps drives off DMS (dimethyl sulphide) which is undesirable in most beers.
A 90 min boil when non pilsner malts are used is usually not required however some do it to increase the amount of evaporation and therefore the OG of the wort.
Hope that helps.

Back