Brew Stand Shelving

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up some of this stuff on the weekend for my new 3V build (pics to come soon) and i'm really happy with it. Its extremely solid, much better than most of the crappy garage type shelving you get. And you really can't beat it for price.

I went with the "wire mesh" shelves instead of the MDF as i figured it would be better for spills.

Super easy to put together - though i'd imagine if you constantly put it together and pulled it apart the tabs that lock it into place would probably stretch out.

I picked up some of this stuff on the weekend for my new 3V build (pics to come soon) and i'm really happy with it. Its extremely solid, much better than most of the crappy garage type shelving you get. And you really can't beat it for price.

I went with the "wire mesh" shelves instead of the MDF as i figured it would be better for spills.

Super easy to put together - though i'd imagine if you constantly put it together and pulled it apart the tabs that lock it into place would probably stretch out.
Good to hear thanks.

Was at my friends place on the weekend testing out his new rig, I believe that it is made of the same stuff with timber shelves painted in a slick black.

Edak, do you know what your mate painted it with? Is it water-proof? I thought it was pretty difficult to get a hard wearing water resistant finish on MDF?

Obviously the wire mesh option eliminates the need to try to seal MDF. Less convenient other than for spills I guess, though. I'm trying to decide whether to just get an LBP in addition to my march pump and go single-tier for my HERMS build. This would mitigate the risk of condensation from the boil destroying the upper tier MDF shelf. Ah, what the hell, it'd be an extra $90 including the additional camlocks - a drop in the ocean compared to what I've spent already! :angry:

Ok, so here's the mostly finished product. The tiled insert sits on an mdf shelf which is supported by 5 or so lengths of pine battens that span between the beams. The battens fit snugly in the beam which is pretty handy.

I've siliconed between the tiles so i can quickly clean up with a spray & wipe. I wasn't sure if it would handle the reflected heat from the spiral burner but it turned out alright

The wheels are made by the same mob that make the shelving and bolt straight onto the bottom

The lifting hook is tied onto a length of thick walled 50mm pipe. I had it spanning the other way when lifting the bag with 15kg of grain out of the pot

Next thing is to add another shelf underneath to hold the hex, pump and other bits

20130709_204827.jpg 20130611_230048.jpg

I'm thinking of replicating this for my BIAB setup. Do you have any regrets, changes you would make, or given the chance would you do something else?

Cheers.
Dene

It doesn't stand up well as a stand for a burner on its own.

I use a length of melamine on a couple of milk crates as a stand for my 3 ring burner under my kettle.
However, I have a sheet of metal on top of the melamine to reflect the heat. That has worked OK for me now for several years.

I also use a length of recycled kitchen bench MDF under my HLT, and again I have a sheet of metal on it to reflect the heat from another 3 ring burner.

I'd really recommend NOT using MDF for the shelving. It absorbs water & gets mouldy really easily, not something you want anywhere near your brew rig

One could use MDF with a sheet of AC sheeting on top . That way its fire resistant and water resistant at the same time .

I like these real life builds. That is what a forum is really about. Sharing ideas.

If you have a look in Ikea etc they have seconds and damaged laminex bench tops pretty cheap sometimes.

Form or marine ply FTW, thats what I would be thinking Glot.
That or beer belly's suggestion of MDF with AC on top.
Personally I would avoid MDF altogether. Over time with weight and some heat applied also some spillage, it will warp.
Spend a little extra $ to get marine or form ply, or even regular ply wood and clad it with AC ( or villa board form any plaster joint.)

There are metal fabricators or aluminium places around where you could also pick up an off cut sheet of tread plate stuff and fix that down on top if you really want to trick it up a bit too.

UB

At last someone that knows what AC is lol. The good old days. Cement sheet dust has never tasted the same since they took the asbestos out of it.
I do a lot of kitchen renovations and the number of good bench tops that go to the tip............
It is all a matter of approaching the right people. Just talk to some kitchen companies. They would like to see them go to a good home too.
You will always find some contractors out there that the $ means everything. But if you keep looking, you will find quite a few that will assist if it doesn't cost them. They are like you and I.

Ah, there is nothing like the fresh smell of cement sheet dust to fill the nostrils in the morning !

True on the bench top pick ups Glot, any tradie would be happy to give away some junk that he was going to have to pay some hard earned to take to the tip anyway.

….maybe for a sixer of something decent !

Yes I do remember the good old days . We would cut up the asbestos sheeting, I loved the smell of it when it was freshly cut . Still no sign of asbestosis though cough cough aarrgh . :blink:

Digging up this old thread. I use this shelving and love it. The wire mesh shelves are great and are easily strong enough for full brewing vessels.....but has anyone tested the heat resistance of this stuff?
Been fine with the urn on it, but I'm moving to a gas fired keggle and don't want to have the joins on the mesh give way with 40litres of boiling wort on.

Latest posts

Back