New Shelving for Brewfridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menoetes

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was awoken at 11pm the other night by a crashing sound under my house. It turns out the plywood shelving I was using in the brewfridge had finally given up the ghost, bowing under the weight of the top-most FV and dropping. The top fermenter had crashed down onto the lid of the fermenter beneath, popping it's shelf out of the side slots too and both had dropped to the bottom of the fridge. :eek:

Amazingly they came to rest upright with one standing atop the the other. Nothing spilled - phew.

Now I need help with a solution to my shelving problem. I can get more plywood but that no longer seems like a long term solution. I don't want to be lying awake at night worrying about hearing the next crash that might not be so lucky...

Can anyone suggest a material that is no more than 8mm thick that I can get cut to size that will support 30+ kilos of weight without bending too much?

did you have plywood just by-itself?

My current setup uses two of the original wire shelves and plywood between, so something like
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - (wire shelf)
================ (form-ply)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - (wire shelf)

The bottom wire shelf slots into one guide on the side of the fridge, form ply on top and then another wire shelf slots either sits on top (for my bottom most shelf) or slots into the next guide for my top shelf...

I also found form-ply to be stiffer than just regular ply (and already finished in a coating that I could wipe spills off)

Get some 6mm aluminium checker plate from your local scrap metal dealer, cut to size then carve out a few rectangles 50mm or so wide & the same measurement in from the shelf supports to allow for air circulation. Too easy! :)

menoetes said:
Hi Guys,

I was awoken at 11pm the other night by a crashing sound under my house. It turns out the plywood shelving I was using in the brewfridge had finally given up the ghost, bowing under the weight of the top-most FV and dropping. The top fermenter had crashed down onto the lid of the fermenter beneath, popping it's shelf out of the side slots too and both had dropped to the bottom of the fridge. :eek:

Amazingly they came to rest upright with one standing atop the the other. Nothing spilled - phew.

Now I need help with a solution to my shelving problem. I can get more plywood but that no longer seems like a long term solution. I don't want to be lying awake at night worrying about hearing the next crash that might not be so lucky...

Can anyone suggest a material that is no more than 8mm thick that I can get cut to size that will support 30+ kilos of weight without bending too much?
6mm stainless plate should do the job, check around your local scrappys and see if they have anything that will suit

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did just have plywood by itself, cut to the same dimensions as my wire shelves so it could be slipped into the same guides on the sides of the fridge.

Steel or aluminum plating sounds perfect for me but I lack the means to cut it. I might head to my local Bunnings and see what I can find. Maybe they'll have someone there that can cut it to size for me. Otherwise I'll get some form-ply and see if I can find some way to reinforcing it.

Latest posts

Back