Brew Stand Design --- |

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice job winkle, like the box :icon_chickcheers:

Gravity fed is simple and no pumps to maintain, that said it's also a PITA filling the HLT.

Gavo.

Wow how times change, I am in a process like Perry is ATM - well not as far as HERMS - but have just changed to a two tier stand as I was getting bored of climbing up a ladder to fill the HLT. HLT at the same level as the kettle and feeds the MLT via a 12v solar pump and MLT to kettle by gravity. Next step will be to to permantly set up the temperature controller for the HLT rather than sharing with the fermenter fridge.. I reckon I can see a march pump in my future though.

Love the control box Perry, I can see one in my near future also.

Cheers
Gavo.

I have a two piece setup.

One holds the HLT, mashtun and the pump (and will eventually have the HX of the HERMS) and the second is purely to hold the burner/kettle.

Having spent a while lifting buckets of hot water onto chairs sitting on tables, I love my system now....

151077_10150098550104414_664679413_7331564_3557096_n.jpg

Built from metalmate from Bunnings..

I have a two piece setup.

One holds the HLT, mashtun and the pump (and will eventually have the HX of the HERMS) and the second is purely to hold the burner/kettle.

Having spent a while lifting buckets of hot water onto chairs sitting on tables, I love my system now....

151077_10150098550104414_664679413_7331564_3557096_n.jpg

Built from metalmate from Bunnings..

Thats what my burner stand will look like too :icon_cheers: .

Only thing I plan to add will be some casters so I can move it around a bit more easily.

Yep, already on that - less mould on the ceiling that way ;) .

The gradual crawl toward a full on HERMES continues, shown here in the single batch configuration. Will be giving the pump a run recirculating the mash out tomorrow then I just have to complete the control box and replace the temp probe and Robert's-your-fathers-brother. The control box will end up facing the right side I think.
brewery_stage1.JPG

Holy snappin crackers winkle, thats lookin pretty bling mate! Is the ladder just in case Butters ever drops over for a look?
How many L is the herms vessel?

Cheers

:beerbang:

Liking it a lot!

Have just started seriously contemplating my brew stand upgrade.

Have sourced a nice control box, will be building a new heat exchanger (bigger element, better housing), have upgrade the HLT slightly (though I snapped my sight glass last week, so will be looking at a glass rather than polycarbonate replacement) including a new housing for the element, and a surface mounted IEC socket with a fuse (which I may or may not have blown once already :rolleyes:)

Next step will be a completely redesigned brew stand (hoping for stainless, but funds may dictate RHS and some high-temp paint), and I'll be running all wiring inside the frame. Looking at BrewTroller for the control circuit, running the 2 elements, 1 pump, and up to 8 motorised ball valves.

Am also in the process (i.e: have done everything except the wiring in) of installing a 32A dedicated circuit to the brewing area. Have a 32A breaker, a length of 4mm round cable, a 32A rated industrial switch and socket, all from the 'scraps' bin at work. Will be wiring this to the mains tomorrow all going to plan, or if the brewing gets in the way, during next week. This circuit is complete overkill for the current setup (only pull about 18A), but looking at enough capacity to run another element in the Kettle if I decide to ditch the gas and go all electric.

Pics of the build as they come.

Cheers!

The gradual crawl toward a full on HERMES continues, shown here in the single batch configuration. Will be giving the pump a run recirculating the mash out tomorrow then I just have to complete the control box and replace the temp probe and Robert's-your-fathers-brother. The control box will end up facing the right side I think.
View attachment 48554

Hermsie looks happy there Perry. :p

Holy snappin crackers winkle, thats lookin pretty bling mate! Is the ladder just in case Butters ever drops over for a look?
How many L is the herms vessel?

Cheers
Ha, it's for cleaning the HLT.
10 L, I think.

You clean your HLT???? :huh:

J/K, I gave mine entire brewery a full pull-down clean last weekend, and am replacing the hoses before the brew tomorrow!

Cheers

just in the process of kitting out the soon to be brewshed, decided to let the mains do the climbing on gravity system. not fully set up yet, have a tap on the wall & intend to put a sightglass on the HLT, will still need to climb once to add acid & heating element (use same one for mash strike water & sparge water)

just thought I'd add it as another line of thought might be an easier path for some people than changing setup

007.JPG

Love this thread AND hate starting a new one for no reason..... Truma.....

COUGH!

I mean,

SO;

I have one March pump, and yes DAMN you gryphon for the latest post about a much cheaper option.. just when my multi hundred version arrives.. ANYWAY...

This is not about cost, as I have ALL my gear here and ready to be constructed.. the best part imo...

QUESTION;

One tier batch sparging vs lifted HLT, fly sparging? Opinions needed PLEASE!

I always batch sparged and when I went fly I picked up about 7-9& efficiency... thats the only reason I ask!

I will not be buying another pump so what is the best way?

Cocko I fly sparge double batch about 19lts with a 2lt jug. all I do is connect a short hose to attach to the tap and the garden hose fittings (or ones to suit system) and then drain into the jug and slowly pour into the mash tun with alfoil with holes poked in to distribute the water. It may take 15mins but saves a pump plus you will be there watch when sparging anyway as you do need to monitor it.

Gravity is my friend!!!!

But I do have to stand on a milk crate to fill the HLT with a hose & to stir the mash on stepped mashes.

350crop.jpg

when you got 80lt pots its a bit harder to make a gravity system. But it was always my option then I thought once I fucked my back lifting 52lts of wort in a pot upto a burner, that there will be some lifting involved lol. I need a level floor though as I still need to measure my water on a level surface and lift it in but with smaller batches.

when you got 80lt pots its a bit harder to make a gravity system. But it was always my option then I thought once I fucked my back lifting 52lts of wort in a pot upto a burner, that there will be some lifting involved lol. I need a level floor though as I still need to measure my water on a level surface and lift it in but with smaller batches.

fair enough...my HLT and mash are 33l, the kettle 60L. System works ok to 10kg, 44L batches, with two fills of the HLT. I have done 12kg grain 44L batches but the mash gets v thick and the efficiency drops. Making IPSs etc its best to keep to 10kg grain and drop the batch size a little.

Latest posts

Back