Brew Stand Design --- |

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this thread AND hate starting a new one for no reason..... Truma.....

COUGH!

I mean,

SO;

I have one March pump, and yes DAMN you gryphon for the latest post about a much cheaper option.. just when my multi hundred version arrives.. ANYWAY...

This is not about cost, as I have ALL my gear here and ready to be constructed.. the best part imo...

QUESTION;

One tier batch sparging vs lifted HLT, fly sparging? Opinions needed PLEASE!

I always batch sparged and when I went fly I picked up about 7-9& efficiency... thats the only reason I ask!

I will not be buying another pump so what is the best way?

i picked up 56.2% efficiency when i started milling my grains

yeah I got 50lt HLT, 70lt MT and 80lt kettle but I only pump out 42lts I not a big fan of the maxi mashes I have filled my tun with 2cm of room with a tripple infusion mash and the mash in was very thick lol. I would love a herms to just do it all at about 2.7-3lt/kg. But infusion makes it hard and decotion seems a bit of a pain but I do want to try it

i picked up 56.2% efficiency when i started milling my grains

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, those new fangled things called grain mills.......Geezus they are something aren't they?

:icon_cheers:

... :eek:
I mean, anyone else have an opinion on single tier/one pump?
Would mean you will probably have to either swap around hose connections or put in
multiple valves/taps.

Built from metalmate from Bunnings..
Mine made from slotted angles as part of my near completed CRDFM (Constant Recirculating
Direct Fired Mash) system:

-

QUESTION;

One tier batch sparging vs lifted HLT, fly sparging? Opinions needed PLEASE!

I always batch sparged and when I went fly I picked up about 7-9& efficiency... thats the only reason I ask!

I will not be buying another pump so what is the best way?

gday cocko,

2 tier one pump is my vote

100_2896.jpg

i batch sparge but it wouldn't be a drama to fly sparge with an addition of another valve from the HLT, mash is underlet via gravity.

Yard

gday cocko,

i batch sparge but it wouldn't be a drama to fly sparge with an addition of another valve from the HLT, mash is underlet via gravity.

Yard

Cheers Yard! Your stand is the main inspiration for/if my two tier design comes to life.... I have a mate coming to do the welding on Australia day, so I better decide...

Fark.

gday cocko,

100_2896.jpg

Yard
Damm that avatar is distracting............

Yeh, who needs more than one pump (excepting Sully - who is a special case :p )

I guess I'm special Winkle....

This is the King Brown Brewery Mark II

KingBrownBrewing.jpg

I fly sparge because I can.

**** that's a nice looking rig KB!

Jealous...

cheers mate, its taken a while to get it where it is, but I have a whole heap of changes to make in the coming months to make things a little easier.

I like having everything at a height that I dont have to stand on anything to get access (not that I could with my brewery roof).

But it is easy to move around and you could brew anywhere with it that has a power point and a water tap.

Awesome rig King Brown. You even have a stainless wall panel...... :super:

Looks like foil in KBB's case, camping mat on mine.

Edit: nice rig Dan I, must come over and play ;)

Yeah its helps when the boys at the bowls club I live next door to are all plumbers, stainless workers, sheet metal workers etc...

They basically give me the stuff and I let them drink here.

I use air-conditioning insulation, about 50% better than camping mats according to my air con technician mate, and way cheaper. Just get it at a aircon supply store. $20 strip and I could have done 3 mashtuns.

I also picked up the aluminium insulation tape there, which is the shiny stuff you on the mash tun. Apparently this doubles the effect of the aircon insulation, but I am only taking a professionals word for this.

Its a good ol girl and she pumps the beer out nice and easy with minimal ******* around.

my vote is for single tier, batch sparge until you get your 2nd pump

easier to examine, inspect, maintain, etc

plus its handy for cooking large scale pasta (pasta gets boiled in the mlt, as it has a built in strainer/colander, napoletana sauce in the hlt for the vegetarians and bolognese sauce in the kettle for the meat eaters)

I like that rack of yours, Yardy. Your set up is an absolute cracker too. I think this will be the type of design I'll go for later on down the track.

Back