Brew software discrepancies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewy

Reaction score
I mainly use Ian H's spreadsheet which is great when designing recipes
I'm an extract brewer, when I have entered some of my recipes into Brewtoad they give different OG's as well as different IBU (even if AA% is represented the same). Anyone else notice this?

I don't think so. I think they were both tinseth. On one it had the IBU's balanced for the style, on the other they were 20pts higher & listed as "very bitter".

I discovered the problem... I didn't stipulate that I wasn't doing a full boil

stewy said:
I don't think so. I think they were both tinseth. On one it had the IBU's balanced for the style, on the other they were 20pts higher & listed as "very bitter".
I haven't used IanH's spreadsheet for a while, but I'm pretty sure it used to use the Rager formula. So unless he changed it, that'd be a big factor in the IBU difference.

As for the OGs, which IanH's spreadsheet are you using - the extract one or the BIAB one? If you're BIAB then obviously the brewhouse efficiency has a big effect (I'm not sure if Brewtoad takes into account efficiency or just assumes a standard value). If it's extract then I'm not sure why they'd be more different than a few points.

EDIT: Ignore the IBUs bit. It serves me right for replying before reading all the posts. :p

verysupple said:
I haven't used IanH's spreadsheet for a while, but I'm pretty sure it used to use the Rager formula. So unless he changed it, that'd be a big factor in the IBU difference.

As for the OGs, which IanH's spreadsheet are you using - the extract one or the BIAB one? If you're BIAB then obviously the brewhouse efficiency has a big effect (I'm not sure if Brewtoad takes into account efficiency or just assumes a standard value). If it's extract then I'm not sure why they'd be more different than a few points.

EDIT: Ignore the IBUs bit. It serves me right for replying before reading all the posts. :p
I found out the IBU discrepancy - It was set up for full volume boil which I don't do

Also, OG discrepancy was due to Brewtoad not calculating specialty grains unless you select "partial mash" as the recipe. Bit odd to be honest as even steeping specialty grains will up the OG (albeit with non-fermentable sugars)

Latest posts

Back