Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a plate will perform better, but I think you will have problems with soilds.

a plate will perform better, but I think you will have problems with soilds.

Ok,
I have a couple solid heat exchangers, but as you say, cleaning them would be near impossible.
And im sure that a small "plate and frame" heat exchanger would not be as cheap as the solid versions?
maybe an old dairy one? Anyway I'll try the coil and see how it goes..

All of the blank stainless tanks, 7 in total, cost me $40 each at a machinery auction,

buys like that don't come along very often, even better when you see them transformed into brew gear, nice job so far Jon B) B)

cheers
yard

buys like that don't come along very often, even better when you see them transformed into brew gear, nice job so far Jon B) B)

cheers
yard

Thanks mate..
Your right, was a shame to see them go to waste, they were originally destined as displays for a jewelers. :eek:
I actually was unaware of the bargain until I got a quote for some more stainless sheet..... :huh:

hello again,
After reading [topic="22805"]Kirem's[/topic] post on his new and very flash Heat exchanger it inspired me to put one together.

I used 12.7mm stainless tube to make the coil, the vessel is a 19L Keg, with a 4.8kw element mounted vertically in the bottom and temp probe in the top.
Anyone thinking of cutting the bottom out of a 19L keg thinking you can weld it back on,, GOOD LUCK!! lets just say it was challenging... I think thats where a boiler maker may have come in handy.. Only one way to learn i guess..

Parts.jpg inside.jpg unit.jpg
I have a question,
I can mount it vertically with the lid removed so it wont build up pressure and launch me skyward, but, it takes up room and the pipe run would be rather long. I would like to lay it down under the mash tun. Now I realize there could be some major issues here. If there is a vent tube from the vessel does that exclude it from being a pressurized vessel?? and how big should it be? prob not worth risking but just thought id ask. Any boiler techs out there??

VERTICAL
Vertical.jpg
HORIZONTAL
Horizontal.jpg

Cheers!

no help at all...

BUT :icon_drool2: damn nice kit man!

hello again,
After reading [topic="22805"]Kirem's[/topic] post on his new and very flash Heat exchanger it inspired me to put one together.

I used 12.7mm stainless tube to make the coil, the vessel is a 19L Keg, with a 4.8kw element mounted vertically in the bottom and temp probe in the top.
Anyone thinking of cutting the bottom out of a 19L keg thinking you can weld it back on,, GOOD LUCK!! lets just say it was challenging... I think thats where a boiler maker may have come in handy.. Only one way to learn i guess..

View attachment 19079 View attachment 19081 View attachment 19082
I have a question,
I can mount it vertically with the lid removed so it wont build up pressure and launch me skyward, but, it takes up room and the pipe run would be rather long. I would like to lay it down under the mash tun. Now I realize there could be some major issues here. If there is a vent tube from the vessel does that exclude it from being a pressurized vessel?? and how big should it be? prob not worth risking but just thought id ask. Any boiler techs out there??

VERTICAL
View attachment 19083
HORIZONTAL
View attachment 19084

Cheers!

This rig is starting to look pretty good my only question is how are you going to ferment a batch size that big or have you already got a conical in the pipeline as well?

This rig is starting to look pretty good my only question is how are you going to ferment a batch size that big or have you already got a conical in the pipeline as well?

Cheers mate,
I have two conicals to build. I have the main vessels made, just need to get the conical part rolled up..

Sorry this is late (just discovered this thread today), but this outfit sells SS cones that you could probably incorporate into the vessels you want to turn into fermenters. They're cheap, but the shipping from the states may be prohibitive.

As with other peoples posts, congrats on the set up. It is looking great.
I am not a boiler tech, but here's my 2 cents.
As long as pressure can be released the size of the vent would not make a difference.
I would recommend your exchanger to be left standing upright, this way you could always ensure it is full of water, I could see that having it on its side tucked away, there is a chance that water vapour would escape and potentially run dry.

Have you tried tilting your Mash Tun with weight in it, simulating grain? The hinge and actuator seems a bit small, just from looking at the photo.
Look forward to the next updates.

Sorry this is late (just discovered this thread today), but this outfit sells SS cones that you could probably incorporate into the vessels you want to turn into fermenters. They're cheap, but the shipping from the states may be prohibitive.

Thanks Newguy.
I have come across toledometalspinning before :icon_drool2: , the problem I have is that the drum part is already made and is exactly 500m diameter, on their site they don't list a 500mm. I'm also not sure whether it would be cheaper to get them made locally. Its a shame they are not a little closer. I think some guys on this forum have got some gear from them before.

As with other peoples posts, congrats on the set up. It is looking great.
I am not a boiler tech, but here's my 2 cents.
As long as pressure can be released the size of the vent would not make a difference.
I would recommend your exchanger to be left standing upright, this way you could always ensure it is full of water, I could see that having it on its side tucked away, there is a chance that water vapour would escape and potentially run dry.

Have you tried tilting your Mash Tun with weight in it, simulating grain? The hinge and actuator seems a bit small, just from looking at the photo.
Look forward to the next updates.

Boston,
I think your on to it, I will keep it vertical just keeps things simple. I haven't tried tilting the tun yet with a load, but i'm pretty confident.. The hinge pins are 10mm stainless, i hope it will hold up, got me thinking now, thats one thing I wasn't worried about at all. I have sat in it, but im only 75kg's...

Cheers :icon_cheers: :super: :party:

I haven't tried tilting the tun yet with a load, but i'm pretty confident.. The hinge pins are 10mm stainless, i hope it will hold up, got me thinking now, thats one thing I wasn't worried about at all. I have sat in it, but im only 75kg's...

Cheers :icon_cheers: :super: :party:

Jonathon
I was thinking more about the torque of the actuator, not the actual hinge pin. What size satalite dish did it use to move? I am assuming it is a worm drive.
Boston

Jonathon
I was thinking more about the torque of the actuator, not the actual hinge pin. What size satalite dish did it use to move? I am assuming it is a worm drive.
Boston

Boston,
The actuator has a 4000N push load @ 24v.. Yes worm drive...

where are you with it now Johnathon?

looks sweet.

Well I have only just got back home two days ago from a 6 month european / canada trip ( thanks again zwickel for your hospitality)
So the covers are coming off and i'm warming up the workshop ready to finish it off.
Just have a bit of plumbing a false bottom for the mash tun and all of the electronics to finish.

Hi Johnathon,

nice to see you back at AHB. Its a pity that you had only a little time here.
I hope, you had a nice time all of the 6 month on travel.

Cheers mate :icon_cheers:

Hi Johnathon,

nice to see you back at AHB. Its a pity that you had only a little time here.
I hope, you had a nice time all of the 6 month on travel.

Cheers mate :icon_cheers:

Zwickel
I had the time of my life traveling and am lucky enough to be one of the few to have seen the "Zwickel Brewery" first hand..

Back