Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have only just got back home two days ago from a 6 month european / canada trip ( thanks again zwickel for your hospitality)
So the covers are coming off and i'm warming up the workshop ready to finish it off.
Just have a bit of plumbing a false bottom for the mash tun and all of the electronics to finish.

Well don't forget the hops plants are potted and waiting to be picked up now that you have finally finished travelling. :)

( 2 less plants in the backyard :lol: good)

Won't I be in trouble when 'He' reads this :lol:

The Mrs

Well don't forget the hops plants are potted and waiting to be picked up now that you have finally finished travelling. :)

( 2 less plants in the backyard :lol: good)

Won't I be in trouble when 'He' reads this :lol:

The Mrs

Excellent, they grew then. Thats great news. 'He' wont even notice they are gone... ;)

By the way guys I am still building, i have my laptop in the shed...

Today I plumbed up the HLT (far left), welded legs to the Heat exchanger (3rd small vessel) and welded the inlet and outlet plumbing on the mash tun (2nd). Most of the plumbing is now done. Next will be to run the air lines for the pneumatic valves.

Cheers

PC180309.jpg

Hey brewers,

I have a question,
Im trying to decide what sort of false bottom to use in my mash tun.
So what are peoples thoughts?

SS woven wire mesh (which i already have)
SS Perforated sheet false bottom
SS manifold
or
I see these new louver types that look good but i think ill run into trouble getting one custom made.

The mash tun is 600mm in diameter.

Cheers and Merry xmas.

Hey brewers,

I have a question,

SS manifold
or
I see these new louver types that look good but i think ill run into trouble getting one custom made.

Cheers and Merry xmas.

Save your money. Go to the hardware store and buy copper pipe, elbows, T's, etc. Also get a hacksaw if you don't already have one. Carefully bend the pipe into whatever shape you want, such as circular, semicircular, whatever. A simple way to do it without crimping the pipe is to fill it with sand, then bend it. It won't buckle and pinch off that way. As to what shape, I suggest something like the Greek letter theta. This will give you a circular bit around the outside edge of your mashtun with a straight section across the middle. Once you have the pipe bent and cut (or if you don't bend it and just use straight sections with elbows and whatnot), and it fits your mashtun, start with the hacksaw. Cut about 1/2 way through the pipe about every 8-10 mm or so. Don't solder it together - leave it as a friction fit deal and you'll be able to dismantle and clean it.

If you overlook the elbow grease, it's easy to do and very cheap. You get good results too. The 2 different eskies I used to use (switched to HERMS) had homemade slotted copper manifolds and I was very happy with their performance.

Hey brewers,

I have a question,

SS manifold
or

Cheers and Merry xmas.

You've gone all out so far so I'd suggest the SS Perforated sheet false bottom.

devo

Yeah I wouldn't bother with copper either if everything else is SS.

I was most of the way through removing all the copper from the Brewbot before I had to pack it. It's probably pretty different in Canada, but I was in sunny Queensland about 100m from the beach. The copper would corrode pretty badly between brews. Nice and green.

So either I had to run some acid through before each brew, or the acidic wort would clean it all up and I would end up drinking it all.

SS just looks better to as we all know. :)

You've gone all out so far so I'd suggest the SS Perforated sheet false bottom.

devo

Thats what i was thinking, i havent used any copper yet and i would like to keep everything stainless.
I was talking to a mate yesterday and i mentioned perforated ss and he said "i have some, ill drop it off tomorrow".
Isn't it funny how things work out.. :lol:

Stainless perf sheet mate, anything else on your work of art would be blasphemy :D

I've been following this thread for a while, and I just saw the post of the plumbing.... FU*K (pardon my french) that is one hot looking brewery. *green with envy*

Just bumping for a possible update :ph34r:

Well not a great deal to update mainly due to the sun shining and the jetski not melting any pistons (yet), all the plumbing / thermowells are now fully welded as they were just tacked together, the elements are mounted in the kettle and all wired up.

Lots of control wiring to lay out next, fairly straight forward stuff and then finish the PLC program.

Im thinking ill mount the whole thing on a sheet of either stainless or something similar and have a frame underneath with fork slippers so it can all be picked up and moved around. Stanless sheet is going to cost $$$ so i'm up for any suggestions on an alternative that is caustic safe.

I'll post some pics soon.

Been using SS wire mesh for some time, works mint.
post-1971-1229996223.jpg
Good stuff for sure i used it in my earlier version, i was concerned about cleaning it but it seams to be fine.

I've been following this thread for a while, and I just saw the post of the plumbing.... FU*K (pardon my french) that is one hot looking brewery. *green with envy*

Merci beaucoup

Good stuff for sure i used it in my earlier version, i was concerned about cleaning it but it seams to be fine.

Yeah its pretty simple to clean, I just pull the FB out, clip a spray nozzle into the garden hose and give it a blast from the 'under' side.
Couple of seconds of work.

Kettle with 2x 4800w elements
P1050330.JPG

Added plate heat exchanger and waste hot water recycling plumbing
P10503277.jpg

Cheers..

I like it,has major bling factor
Top job

Franko

Latest posts

Back