Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is beautiful Jonathon :) Do you work in the stainless industry?

That is beautiful Jonathon :) Do you work in the stainless industry?

Cheers mate,
Na I'm an industrial electrician for a big factory. I have a friend with a large sheetmetal workshop for rolling and
guilotine work and such, otherwise I have a farily good workshop myself. Its hard to get work like this done in a small town so I do as much as I can myself.

Cheers mate,
Na I'm an industrial electrician for a big factory. I have a friend with a large sheetmetal workshop for rolling and
guilotine work and such, otherwise I have a farily good workshop myself. Its hard to get work like this done in a small town so I do as much as I can myself.

Well done Jonathon you are going to make a lot of beer in those tanks

Pumpy :)

Yeah hope to make enough to keep me happy Pumpy!

Tony, I always wanted to be a fitter & Turner lol, lucky I saw the light!

Heres todays progress,
I made 3 Thermowell's for my temp probes, they will be welded into each Vessel, The are made from the crimp fitting that
came with the probes, 200mm of 10mm stainless tube with one end welded up, then the crimp was welded on and a bit of a file, sand and polish in the lathe.

gallery_4393_159_678924.jpg

Edit:Attachment playing silly beggers..

:lol: I remember telling a fitter that told me i was over paid, that a leco could do a fitters job but a fitter could not do mine.
He didnt like that. hehe :p

but thats the war of the trades.

PS..... i dont have a problem with fitters. Ive known plenty of good ones too :)

cheers

Yorg,
The 50mm framework was put in my lathe before it was welded togther and on a slow speed i use a 400grit wet and dry.
The thermowells were also sanded in the lathe then i use some "autosol" on a rag.

Edit: Fixed attachment bug..

Looking great Jonathon.Some big beers coming up in the near future.
As for Tony-Bloody sparkies.Scared of a hard days work. ;) Actually know one or two who can actually make reasonable beer. :p

Cheers
Big D

Looking great Jonathon.Some big beers coming up in the near future.
As for Tony-Bloody sparkies.Scared of a hard days work. ;) Actually know one or two who can actually make reasonable beer. :p

Cheers
Big D

Cheers,
HA, maybe we should start a new thread, "War of the tradies" :) lol, I argue at work if a bolt is over 10mm it must be a fitters job. The fun never stops.

Cheers,
HA, maybe we should start a new thread, "War of the tradies" :) lol, I argue at work if a bolt is over 10mm it must be a fitters job. The fun never stops.

Jonathon What are you doing touching any bolt thats not in a motor jbox?? Really Fitters are great when you need something heavy or dirty moved !!

Try telling them your happy to undo any bolt that your pliers will fit !

Jonathon What are you doing touching any bolt thats not in a motor jbox?? Really Fitters are great when you need something heavy or dirty moved !!

Try telling them your happy to undo any bolt that your pliers will fit !

lol, your right , NOT MY JOB!

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.......the good ole...'That's not in my job description' line............something I'd never heard until I moved to this side of the ditch.... :p
But those thermowells sure are beeeeeeaautiful. But the glare, the glare!!!!!!! (Must be some compo available for shiney stuff related 'arc eye' surely.....:lol: )

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.......the good ole...'That's not in my job description' line............something I'd never heard until I moved to this side of the ditch.... :p
But those thermowells sure are beeeeeeaautiful. But the glare, the glare!!!!!!! (Must be some compo available for shiney stuff related 'arc eye' surely.....:lol: )

It's a common answer of mine.
So sue me! ;)

Jonathon, can you provide more information on the construction of your peristaltic pump?
It deserves a new thread of its own, I reckon.
I'm dead keen to see if it is something I might be able to make as well.
What sort of volume per minute does it do?
Cheers,
Yorg.

ausdb said:
I too have toyed with the idea of a peristaltic pump and was wondering how much clearance you have worked on between the roller and the inner curve.

I've been playing around with the idea of a peripump too, I figured the wall/roller clearance would be somewhere around twice the tube wall thickness? Maybe a little less to provide a nice seal for each segment between rollers?
Was thinking of using two or three tubes in parallel to up the flow rate too.(my silicone tube is 8mm ID)

RE: the digital refractometer, nice work!
I had toyed with this idea too, but was going to start from scratch and use a CCD or photodiode linear array as the sensor, but was getting too complicated(and expensive).

CCD or photodiode linear array as the sensor, but was getting too complicated(and expensive). Yeap me too ! :eek: wat tha !!

Yorg,
seeing there is a fair bit of interest around this pump I would be happy to post more info on it including all the CAD drawings I used to cut it out on my CNC.
As for flow rate I will have to do some testing and get back to you.

Hi Simon W,
My clearance was about .5mm tighter than double the wall thickness, the main problem with these pumps is you need alot of power to drive them. Parralleling the tube would be a must if you are only using 8mm, I would suggest using the thickest tube you can get, keeps things simple.

Cheers,

PS, Had a thought today, It's really hard to work on a brewery when you have a huge hang-over!! Its just a giant shiny hang-over machine!

Latest posts

Back