Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work on the pump :super: They are such simple pieces of equipment and work beautifully.

I dont know where you got your tubing but Ive found the G&G stuff to be spongier and makes it easier for the pump to turn.

Yeah such a great type of pump, the bit I like is that they are positive displacement, so I can meter the liquid being pumped. I got the tubing from Mashmaster, it is hard to turn..

Yep mine wouldnt turn with the MM tubing.

Yep... your next step is to make the rollers adjustable for any size tubing :D

Don't laugh ok, but i have been toying with the idea of a digital Refractometer, I have written some code to decode the image from a webcam. lol, silly i know, but would be so cool to have an inline refractometer.
View attachment 14950
tootaloo for now...

If that works that would be super cool. Would love to see if it works out.

Pok :chug:

Digital Refractometer... Sounds like a good uni thesis to me and extra points for being beer related

Digital Refractometer... Sounds like a good uni thesis to me and extra points for being beer related
Uni? Nah, just a bored sparky on night shifts with beer on my mind. I coupled the camera to the refractometer , put an LED at the lens end and got this image with 6 teaspoons of suger in my coffee mug.
refract.JPG

So it works, a fair bit of fine tuning and a better coupling for the camera and possibly a better light source but the proto worked.
The program looks for a bright straight line, this position is indicated by the red line, it then does some maths to determine scale and 0 and spits out the brix..
Brixometer.JPG

This close enough to 0 brix (plain water in mug)
0brix.jpg

This is around 12 Brix (6 teaspoons suger in mug of water)
12brix.jpg

Who says shift work is bad for you!

Is the G&G tubing the same dimensions?
Yep... your next step is to make the rollers adjustable for any size tubing :D
There is a big difference between the mashmaster and G&G tubing (I believe the G&G is sourced via morebeer in the US). I have some of each in my system and quickly measured them tonight with a vernier, this is what I come up with:
G&G tubing OD =19mm wall thickness ~3.4mm ID= ~12.2mm
MM tubing OD=20.5 wall thickness ~4.0mm ID= ~12.5mm
As Jye has said the G&G stuff is a loft softer durometer than the MM stuff so is more flexible and probably better for a peristaltic pump application. On the other hand the MM stuff doesn't kink as easily using it in the rest of the brewery. I too have toyed with the idea of a peristaltic pump and was wondering how much clearance you have worked on between the roller and the inner curve.

Also having trouble finding someone to roll a conical for the fermenters, I have access to a folder to segment fold them but thats not as neat as rolling, also have access to rollers but the roller radius is 70mm
so the bottoms would have a 70mm hole. Anyone know someone able to roll or spin these?
Try someone who deals in stainless products for the food industry, like Geordi's and get a tube reducer for the last section
http://www.geordi.com.au/Products17d.htm

There is a big difference between the mashmaster and G&G tubing (I believe the G&G is sourced via morebeer in the US). I have some of each in my system and quickly measured them tonight with a vernier, this is what I come up with:
G&G tubing OD =19mm wall thickness ~3.4mm ID= ~12.2mm
MM tubing OD=20.5 wall thickness ~4.0mm ID= ~12.5mm
As Jye has said the G&G stuff is a loft softer durometer than the MM stuff so is more flexible and probably better for a peristaltic pump application. On the other hand the MM stuff doesn't kink as easily using it in the rest of the brewery. I too have toyed with the idea of a peristaltic pump and was wondering how much clearance you have worked on between the roller and the inner curve.
Cheers, Ill measure my clearance today and let you know. I think it was 6mm.

Jonathon - I know nothing of peristaltic pumps, but I do know that Craftbrewer stocks neoprene (I think) tube especially for the peristaltic pumps they sell.

Just another option, and it certainly looks squishy in the picture.

Hey lads,
Well in between other things I have thrown a bit of a drawing together of the new brewery, made up from the vessels i mentioned in the start of this post.

NewBrew2.jpg

From left , 188L HLT , 125L tilting mash tun and 170L Kettle. Any sugestions?

Cheers.
Jonathon.

Hey Jonathon,
Looks like we've got another mad inventer on the site..
Those tanks look the go..

Not sure if your interested but i came across an in-line Refractometer HERE.

Keep up the good work..
Sqyre..

Sqyre....don't show these guys those.....geez people will be mortgaging their homes to build their breweries soon....:) It's homebrewing, but not as we know it Jim....

But wouldn't that little gadget be nice to go in the mashtun outlet.......

Hey Jonathon,
Looks like we've got another mad inventer on the site..
Those tanks look the go..

Not sure if your interested but i came across an in-line Refractometer HERE.

Keep up the good work..
Sqyre..

Ahh yes i did check those refractometer's out, nice .. Hate to think what they would cost, there was one on ebay similar for around $1700 us,

Mad? me?, i'm fine, as long as I take my medication.....;)

Hello everyone,
Just thought I would show you all a bit of an update on the new machine. I have been flat out welding and polishing.
gallery_4393_159_614075.jpg

gallery_4393_159_794518.jpg

This is the stainless steel cabinet I bought on ebay, it was full of electrical goodies all in brand new condition , got some great parts out of it. This will house the plc and so on.

Still waiting on some pnuematic actuators(ebay) to fit the "Mashmaster" ball valves, apparently on a ship somwhere out there.
And looking for a couple of good pumps.

Cheers,

edit: Attachments were playing up.

Very nice mate B),looks even better than your drawings.

Latest posts

Back