Brew Over, Banana Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmatt

Reaction score
My coopers rale ale kit has finished brewing and im ready for bottling. Its obvious though that it brew at temps too high and has that banana like taste to it.
My question is will this flavour dissipate with time in the bottle or is it there to stay?

My coopers rale ale kit has finished brewing and im ready for bottling. Its obvious though that it brew at temps too high and has that banana like taste to it.
My question is will this flavour dissipate with time in the bottle or is it there to stay?

I don't know about the taste going away. Throw 4 hop plugs in there and start dry hopping.

Banana should fade after a couple of weeks, I often get it with all-grain Coopers style Ales using their bottle yeast. And as Pete says, a bit of hop would help to mask it.

sorry to be blunt but if you want to brew in February get a fridge,
otherwise brew enough between April and Sept to last thru the summer
but that costs a big bottle stock

sorry to be blunt but if you want to brew in February get a fridge,
otherwise brew enough between April and Sept to last thru the summer
but that costs a big bottle stock

Ahh you don't need a fridge. Plenty of people have used 70 can coolers or sleeping bags or a sink of water combined with frozen water PET bottles.

The above doesn't cost a heap. Fish and chips or pizza one night and you've got some PET bottles. An old sleeping bag and you're set. I beleive the 70 can coolers from bunnings are pretty cheap as well. Like $20 or something.

You make it sound like making beer is hard. :p

Edit: double words

yeah i got two of those can coolers but only have a small fridge and couldnt make enough ice bottles.
It had been cooler with all the rain but still high 20s low thirties in brissy.

ps whats the difference between plugs and pellets? also recommend a hops, i'll have to look at my hops table?

hallertau or b saaz the correct varieties or am i completely wrong?

yeah i got two of those can coolers but only have a small fridge and couldnt make enough ice bottles.
It had been cooler with all the rain but still high 20s low thirties in brissy.

ps whats the difference between plugs and pellets? also recommend a hops, i'll have to look at my hops table?

hallertau or b saaz the correct varieties or am i completely wrong?

You do what you can do.

Plugs are hops compressed. And pellets have been in the food mixer and compressed.

I'm not sure about making a real ale. I've had a love affair with Cascade for a while now. Hallertau is a noble hope though and is good for late additions or dry hopping. I've seen many people go on about b saaz though.

Had that taste with a Coopers Cerveza (Brew No 2) myself and kit yeast, close to tipping the whole lot out a few times, it seems to be dissipating very slowly, if tyhey can be left a few months you will be ok and some extra hop flavour can only help.

I am in Bris Vegas and same problem but ice bottles and wet towel have at least got me to 20-22 degrees.

If you get a fermenter from Bunnings (ones with the clearish colour) i found the temp is as much as 3-4 degrees lower due to thinner walled plastic.

Mick.

Other then the banana I'm surprised how well it tastes, its plenty bitter enough i think these hops will be the ticket.
I was undecided whether to add fineings but ill do that as well, and add hops and give it a few more days.

yeah, i left out the wet towel and just used iced bottles and put a second can cooler over the top, does the bunnings
fermenter fit in these can coolers too mick? was thinking of getting a second one.

thanks guys
matt

I'm not familiar with saison so i had to check the recipe db and found http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=698 .
Thats a lot of hops? I bought a case of JS hop thief a while back and struggled with the first few...how would it compare?

Saison is the go, I just used 3724 and the yeast flavours are not too over powering, the head is unreal and the taste is great. can't rave about it enough. the brew was between 36 and about 30 degrees in the shed the whole time.

just dont use the yeast coopers provide

I'll second that, I'm currently battling my way through a batch of dark ale I brewed with 2 coopers Yeast sachets. To attempt to make it drinkable I've been pouring 2/3 kit yeast dark ale with 1/3 "proper" yeast IPA or coopers pale. It doesn't taste as good as the IPA or coopers pale would by itself but it does mean the really average dark ale is drinkable. I'll never use kit yeast again.

okay so I've just steeped a morgans saaz pack (12g) and the finnings in some hot water and pitched it in the fermenter.
bloke at the shop said add a little sugar as well, but i didnt bother. Question is i was hoping to bottle this weekend, if i leave
it till sunday night will it be okay to bottle then or too soon?

okay so I've just steeped a morgans saaz pack (12g) and the finnings in some hot water and pitched it in the fermenter.
bloke at the shop said add a little sugar as well, but i didnt bother. Question is i was hoping to bottle this weekend, if i leave
it till sunday night will it be okay to bottle then or too soon?

More days is better. I normally try to dry hop with hop:litre ratio of 1g/1L. You'll notice a difference but the longer you leave it the more aroma/flavour will pass on to the brew.

4 - 5 days is normally my drop hop schedule because I can't wait longer. Other dry hop for longer.

Other then the banana I'm surprised how well it tastes, its plenty bitter enough i think these hops will be the ticket.
I was undecided whether to add fineings but ill do that as well, and add hops and give it a few more days.

yeah, i left out the wet towel and just used iced bottles and put a second can cooler over the top, does the bunnings
fermenter fit in these can coolers too mick? was thinking of getting a second one.

thanks guys
matt

I don't know the size of the Bunnings fermenter but I do know that a squat coopers fermenter fits easily into the can cooler with room to spare for the iced PET bottles. Cost is about $16.00 if you get the yellow/grey one.They are 500mm in diameter.

Well its been a while and I thought I better post here again..last one for this thread, i promise. This beer, for a first timer(actually second), has turned out great. Im stoked. That banana taste has faded quite a bit and Im enjoying every drop, last weekend i didnt. Time obviously has quite a bit to do with it. Taste test versus carlton draught or 4x bitter i reckon mines better :) and who can argue with the price :)

Thanks everyone for your help and advise!

Back