Brew Is Too Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emdub

Reaction score
My first brew since 2003 came out just like Tooheys Old, which was the target. If anything, the commercial Old is a tiny bit fruitier. I prefer mine.
I used the Beermakers Old kit as the base.

My second brew was the same except for three differences. (Wanted some stock before I branch out)
1. I used a Morgans Old kit
2. Added 500gms of extra Dextose
and 3. I filled the drum with the garden hose

I do get a bad taste from the hose till it's flushed but otherwise the water tastes fine

I tasted the beer last night and it's very bitter but otherwise, same colour, same watery mouthfeel(needs more dark malt)

I reckon it could be the water. I believe dextrose doesn't add any taste and I'm not sure of the kit differences.
Whatdoyareckon?

I don't know about the bitterness but I wouldn't fill my fermenter from the garden hose.
I once heard of a young lad getting meningitis from drinking water that had been laying in the garden hose, sadly he is no longer with us. It's a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, especially if it's out in the sun.

You can be almost certain that the bitterness IS just the difference in the two kits..Dex certainly doesnt add flavour/bitterness

As tempting as it is, dont use the garden hose. I now even filter the water thru a brita water jug that I am going to brew with. There are heaps of methods for filtering water (just the same you would for drinking water), the difference it makes to the beer is INCREDIBLE (IMO)...anyway, I am not saying you HAVE to filter, but dont use the hose, all sorts of nasties in there. (even though I'd drink from a hose in a heartbeat, I wouldnt brew beer and mix yeast with it and let it sit for 1-2 weeks fermenting).

failing all that I am happy to drop by and drink your beer for you :) HAHA

Rendo

My first brew since 2003 came out just like Tooheys Old, which was the target. If anything, the commercial Old is a tiny bit fruitier. I prefer mine.
I used the Beermakers Old kit as the base.

My second brew was the same except for three differences. (Wanted some stock before I branch out)
1. I used a Morgans Old kit
2. Added 500gms of extra Dextose
and 3. I filled the drum with the garden hose

I do get a bad taste from the hose till it's flushed but otherwise the water tastes fine

I tasted the beer last night and it's very bitter but otherwise, same colour, same watery mouthfeel(needs more dark malt)

I reckon it could be the water. I believe dextrose doesn't add any taste and I'm not sure of the kit differences.
Whatdoyareckon?

Give it a few weeks' more.

Beer is like white wine - lots of fruitiness (i.e. hops for beer) early on, more mellow as time goes on.

Any beer too bitter - just leave it - so long as it is otherwise drinkable (right malt, no infection, adequately carbonated), it'll come good to your tastes.

The only difference in bitterness would come from the change of kit or if you did a different sized batch or something like that.

However, when I was first starting out I was convinced I'd made a beer too bitter, but in fact it was just over carbed. IMO over-carbing increases the perception of bitterness. I learnt to taste the difference but it may be something to think about.

Maybe pour a beer into a glass, put some glad wrap over the glass, and let it sit in the fridge for an hour. Should make it flatter and then seen if you notice a difference and whether or not it's still too bitter.

However, when I was first starting out I was convinced I'd made a beer too bitter, but in fact it was just over carbed. IMO over-carbing increases the perception of bitterness. I learnt to taste the difference but it may be something to think about.
Interesting thought - do you think bitterness perception is linear w.r.t. the level
of carbing (ie. any increase in carbing is matched by an increase in bitterness
perception beginning from dead flat beer) ?

Or do you think that moderate carbing has no effect on the perception and only
when you get beyond a certain point that the perceived bitterness increases?

Tom.

Latest posts

Back