Brew Infection, Who's Had It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep had one, only realised when the bottles tasted really bad (cracked a few other to check it wasn't isolated but nope seemed that by reusing the the plastic PET bottles the lids were not cleaned properly and caused infection. Wasn't happy, but have learned from my mistake.

I have to agree with the taps though. I soak mine in hot water with sanitizer to get rid of and loosen the tap so I can turn it. Bits of yeast getting stuck and dried out.

I used to get the occasional infection.

Then I discovered iodine sanitisers. I bought a 5L bottle from the local co-op, and treat all non-fermenting micro-organisms with extreme prejudice.

Thorough cleaning of all gear immediately after use probably nips most problems in the bud, but the iodine seals the deal.

I boil my taps and airlocks before brewing to hopefully kill any beasts lurking in the cracks.

I've just put down my 13th brew and had 1 infected brew I had to throw out, before bottling - but it was my fault cause I left it sitting around 6 weeks. The occasional bottle has been infected, but all but 2 of the bottles have had visible scum rings where I had failed to clean the bottle properly.

Don't boil the standard "s" shaped airlock that the majority of brewers use, these will soften and distort at high temperatures.

Like Geoffi said, thorough cleaning (no scourers) a good rinse, then a no rinse sanitiser.

Brewers spend a large amount of their time cleaning brewgear. Just ask any professional brewer, they also spend alot of time on cleaning and sanitation.

Don't boil the standard "s" shaped airlock that the majority of brewers use, these will soften and distort at high temperatures.

Like Geoffi said, thorough cleaning (no scourers) a good rinse, then a no rinse sanitiser.

Brewers spend a large amount of their time cleaning brewgear. Just ask any professional brewer, they also spend alot of time on cleaning and sanitation.

Isn't "Brewing" the Sumerian word for "Cleaning"? ;)

i have had 1 infected beer in like 8 or 9.

it always smelt bad, was never sure about it, smelt bad in the fermenter, put it into a cube, smelt bad there, left it in there for 2-3 weeks and bottled it anyway, tastes like crap. im gonna try and palm it off to one of my poor friends and see if they can drink it. it tastes sour and pretty bad, if someone can drink it good on them though, HAHAHA.

im trying to clean my cube at the moment, have bleach in there with boiling water, there are dark marks in there which i cant seem to get rid of by i need to rack my beer! im hoping they wont ruin my beer. 1 sterilise with boiling water, then letting it sit for half an hour or more with bleach and boiling water, and then sanitise it, well if they are still ther after that i doubt they will infect my precious first partial mash! heres hoping!

catchya

Got one right now. 30l of APA :( out it goes.

Never had this problem with fermenters that didn't have taps. They're a bugger to clean, I'm probably going to chuck 'em and loof for something better...

Hi guys. Just found this site looking for some homebrew info. I have been brewing for about 16 years and had my first batch of "bad" brews about 2-3 years ago. Every brew I did had a chlorine taste about it. I did 5 batches before giving up and have just started brewing again this year. I changed my cleaning practises and am using a new fermenter. I suspect there may have been scratches in my old barrels. Think I cleaned em out with a green scourer a couple of times trying to get rid of the scumline. I also used to use neo pink. Maybe it got old and went off????? I now use the Miltons baby bottle sanitising solution and for the scum line I just soak my barrel overnight then wipe out with a chux cloth. Seems to be working as I have had just over half a dozen successful brews of varying brands. :D

Welcome to the site, vb4me.

Didn't know neopink could go off. It is a great cleaner, but limited as a sanitiser as it has to be rinsed off thoroughly and your sanitation is back to the level of your rinse water.

Some people use Miltons. Have a read of the active ingredient.

Chlorine can sometimes be traced back to your town water supply. If it was more bandaid, that can definitely be a sign of infection.

Scratches in plastic are well known as sites for infections. And you are right, that scum just lifts off with an overnight soak.

Be careful with a nick like that. We have had VB devotees on this forum converted away from VB after some quality homebrew.

Got one right now. 30l of APA :( out it goes.

Never had this problem with fermenters that didn't have taps. They're a bugger to clean, I'm probably going to chuck 'em and loof for something better...

Hi dataphage... cool name by the way :)

I only ever use glass carboys these days. They're so easy to sanitise properly and to clean with hot water and nappy san.

MFS.

Thanx for the welcome pint of lager. Yeah been a vb man for 2 long to remember and it has always been my commercial beer of choice. Now rather partial to Coopers pale ale. :) . But Home brew is the way to go, so already converted and have been for a long time.
Still not sure of why the chlorine taste but had always used tap water and had great results ( produced beer that both myself and non home brewers were happy to drink) but it was the last 5 brews that produced that horrible taste.
Ill keep cleaning the way that I am now unless told otherwise.
Cheers
vb4me

Hi dataphage... cool name by the way :)

I only ever use glass carboys these days. They're so easy to sanitise properly and to clean with hot water and nappy san.

MFS.

I'd love to ferment in glass but I don't quite trust myself with it and have very limited space so it needs to be stackable etc. but now you've got me thinking about buying some new toys... :rolleyes:

Actually thinking about what I did it was probably the fact that I didn't keep the gelatine finings hot enough for long enough before adding to secondary, it was all going fine until that point!

[the name was a brief, never repeated, moment of clarity when I needed a username for my first email address - in 1999!]

Latest posts

Back