Brew Gear Cleaning On A Septic System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here brewing/cleaning on a septic tank system (non mains sewage system)?
My question to you is in regards to your cleaning of your gear post brew.

Are you using with no issues the usual cleaning agents and sanitisers i.e. PBW, Starsan etc?
Or do you need to go with other products so as not to effect the septic system?

Cheers for assistance.

Sodium Percarbonate and cleaner/sterilisers based in it should be OK unless you use lots of it (by lots I mean 100's of grams at a time)
PBW is Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Metasilicate and a wetting agent with a couple of other possible bits - should be OK
Starsan is an industrial detergent and Phosphoric Acid, small amounts wont do too much harm

The product called Pink is Chlorinated Tri Sodium Phosphate - not good in anything other than trace amounts
Peroxide based sanitisers should be OK but they contain Silver, over time it can build up and poison the bugs that make a septic work, fine to spray on surfaces but don't put too much down the drain

Personally I use Sodium Percarbonate for most jobs around the brewery, follow up with boiling water, with a couple of surface sterilisers (peroxide Iodophor.. that I wouldn't put into a septic system) and 70% ethanol would be good.

My local home brew shop sells a 5kg bag of Sodium Percarbonate for a really good price, works out cheaper than napisan, so I use it for lots of other jobs around the house - kills on the coffee maker.
Mark

Don't use bleach, it will kill a septic.

I'm also on a bioseptic setup for waste water (and other body products).

When I clean my brew gear I dont pour any of it down the drain, it goes onto some scrubby grass next to my chook run.

Latest posts

Back