Brew Day tomorrow!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always used to run from compact rinsed yeast, assuming a recent harvest and good clean slurry, invariably with an OG of less than 1050 somewhere between 60 and 100ml of compact yeast gets you home.. The thing to know is the viability date.. Being the date the yeast last reached terminal gravity.

I fucked up a few brews not understanding this.

For example - On Mr Matly, Default settings with regard to Non yeast percentage but slider all the way to the right on Yeast concentration - Thick yeast - Calc. Viability from Date Checked

OG: 1048 - 23lt - Viability date 24.05.14 = 56ml (aint gunna happen with compact slurry but needs to be shown as example)

same deal, viability date 17.05.14 = 64ml (1 week old)

same deal, viability date 10.05.14 = 74ml (2 weeks old)

same deal, viability date 3.05.14 = 87ml (3 weeks old)

if you start to get higher than about this, the 3 week mark, it can be a good idea to run a starter, not always an absolute but worth considering.

Hope this helps understanding... wish I had someone explain this when I started rinsing :lol:

:icon_cheers:

I guess I have turned a corner with my homebrew this weekend. I brought 2 x 25kg bags of grain and MrMalty's yeast calculator became a tool to use.

Wow, this looks great.

I did landlords Wit Beer recipe in the site here, and it was my first AG - Going to plug this into brew mate and do it. Love the idea of corriander & orange peel (also in the wit beer), but my consistency sucked due to a cr** therm.

What sort of yeast are you going to use?

I punched this in and am thinking of doing it with Wyeast 1056 - You think it'll be a winner? Actually, craftbrewer is out of 1056,

I have T58 standing by, would that be ok? What else could I use thats liquid?

Latest posts

Back