Brew Day tomorrow!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burt de Ernie

Reaction score
Sydney weather looking good (I`m an outdoor brewer), got my yeast starter going and I`m looking forward to brew day tomorrow!

I`m using a recipe I got off homebrewtalk.com which had awesome feedback and raring. see below.

42.00 l Sydney water Water 1 -
1.83 tsp Citric Acid (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
8.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 80.00%
1.00 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 4 10.00%
1.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5 10.00%
78.61 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 23.4 IBUs
0.91 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
78.61 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 8.5 IBUs
0.10 kg Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 9 -
51.13 g Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 10 -
78.61 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 1.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 12 -
103.54 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Has anyone tried this before?

Or what are you planning to brew this weekend?

Burt de Ernie said:
Sydney weather looking good (I`m an outdoor brewer), got my yeast starter going and I`m looking forward to brew day tomorrow!

Or what are you planning to brew this weekend?
Woot! Tomorrow is going to be a good day!

Not as complicated as yours but I'm going to be spending some quality time in the brewery. First opportunity for a while.

Tunes, beers, mates, good weather. It's on like Donkey Kong. I'm excited!

Lincoln2 said:
Woot! Tomorrow is going to be a good day!

Not as complicated as yours but I'm going to be spending some quality time in the brewery. First opportunity for a while.

Tunes, beers, mates, good weather. It's on like Donkey Kong. I'm excited!
Got your mates coming over to help out?? ...that's a good idea.

I don't think the recipe is that hard, I just have never used orange rind and coriander before. other than these two items shes a standard APA.

Yob said:
What's the volume output?1 pack of S04 on a 10kg grist?
10 gallon batch but Its technically not 1 packet. I`m actually using washed yeast I have harvested from a previous brew so im not sure how the math works in this situation.

Burt de Ernie said:
Got your mates coming over to help out?? ...that's a good idea.

I don't think the recipe is that hard, I just have never used orange rind and coriander before. other than these two items shes a standard APA.
Mates are a double edged sword. They do the heavy lifting but they also drink your nectar, however they do make the day better.

It looks complicated because of the Sydney water. Giardia and cryptosporidium wreak havoc with my brews, I think the poorly treated sewerage affects the yeast.

Is this an English witbier yet hopped with cascade right....what style is this meant to be?

Lincoln2 said:
Mates are a double edged sword. They do the heavy lifting but they also drink your nectar, however they do make the day better.

It looks complicated because of the Sydney water. Giardia and cryptosporidium wreak havoc with my brews, I think the poorly treated sewerage affects the yeast.
Fortunately for me I`ve never known anything else :cool:

Burt de Ernie said:
10 gallon batch but Its technically not 1 packet. I`m actually using washed yeast I have harvested from a previous brew so im not sure how the math works in this situation.
volume and gravity = Pitch Rate

this LINK should help you work it out

Yob....I got that part.....Beer Smith has a similar calculator.

To clarify, I was referring to the harvested/washed yeast sitting in a large jar in my fridge e.g. How much of my washed yeast equals 1 standard pkt. This I have no idea

Edit: My apologies Yob......At first I didn't notice "re-pitching from slurry" tab. This will be great help to me...many thanks.

Burt de Ernie said:
Yob....I got that part.....Beer Smith has a similar calculator.

To clarify, I was referring to the harvested/washed yeast sitting in a large jar in my fridge e.g. How much of my washed yeast equals 1 standard pkt. This I have no idea
I guess you'd need estimated yeast cells per teaspoon or 10ml's. Just started my own yeast washing, so this would be good to know.

Yob said:
volume and gravity = Pitch Rate

this LINK should help you work it out
This has enlightened me.

Assuming a 23lt batch of 1.045 gravity beer, the Mr Malty calculator calls up 11g of dry yeast AKA 1 pkt Saf04 or approximately 90mls slurry.

Based on Beer Smith figures stating Saf04 has 180 billion cells/pkt this would then equate 15.65 billion cells /gram dry yeast or 8.2 mls of slurry which then can be added to a starter as required.

Kiwifirst said:
I read (tonight) that you can/should expect 1.2billion cells per ml from slurry.
I happy to run with this!...better to err on the side of caution.

This means for a 1.045 og batch (200 billions cells approx.) you would need 167mls or less if you want to use a starter.

Sorry, I meant 1-2bill not 1.2.

It all comes down to slurry density, age and quality. At the end of the day, if you worked on 2 mill per ml then you shouldn't be over pitching.

Back