Brew day fail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Started a brew today and at mash out I had particles of grain transfer into the kettle. Not sure what happened, Maybe when I mashed in I stirred too much and lifted the false bottom and grain particles got underneath. But I didnt notice any when recirculating through the herms, only at mash out.

I had to drain the kettle through a strainer into a cube then pour it back in.

If HSA does exist pre-boil then Im going to be stuffed and this beer will be very oxidised?? The particles were small so they may have just passed through the false bottom. Who knows.

The grain bill was
Pale ale
Wheat
munich I
medium crystal

Here are some photos

grain.jpg

kettlegrain.jpg

Your thoughts and comments welcome

I have had grain bits make it into the kettle many times. Never caused any issues; It'll be caught up in the trub cone at the end of the boil and won't make it to fermentation.

Wouldn't have bothered filtering them out myself.

I thought/read/was led to believe that grain in the boil will cause tannins??

What about my HSA problem? Do I have one??

Don't know about the HSA, i would have skimmed at the start of the boil. A decoction doesn't cause tannin extraction though, so a couple of grains making it to the boil shouldn't.

Cheers

whats that like 50g of grain? no huge amount of tannins will be extracted..

you dont say what hops or what schedule it was but I'd be inclined just to go meh... get it at the WP/Cube

Dr C. Bamforth says that if you can get the best healthy ferment the HSA shouldnt be a 'great concern'.. always something to be wary of but cmon trunman... youve been around long enough to 'suck it' and see..

I think I just discovered the answer to the Getting Pilsner into Pilsner thread.

Fwak me. When you read that grain in boil causes tannin extraction did you research any further at all? What part of grain holds the tannins? What are the PH required for extraction. How does that relate to situation in the wort?

Just a hint, if you dry mill your grain you would undoubtedly be creating small bits of husk that would always make it into your wort unless you are filtering it through an ultra fine mesh. Think of what the big breweries do. It's not rocket science. Honestly, I kno what that's like, not that much different ;)

On a positive side, I've as much as sieved the wort out of a failed mash tun. No problem.

Mate, your beer will be fine. I found that switching from a copper manifold with hacksaw cuts to a 12" false bottom I was getting shitloads of tiny bits of grain into the kettle. I don't see how you can avoid it as the smaller bits of grain can easily fit through the holes of a false bottom. yes, you could grind courser for lost efficiency or even fly sparge (stuff that) My answer was to transfer into a hopsock in the kettle. Problem solved.

IMO in a few weeks you will have had your question answered, and learned something new.

Just think of it as an experiment. HSA: myth or fact?
You can decide instead of taking the word of some guy on the internet.

treefiddy said:
IMO in a few weeks you will have had your question answered, and learned something new.

Just think of it as an experiment. HSA: myth or fact?
You can decide instead of taking the word of some guy on the internet.
HSA is all about long term stability, I don't think it will manifest in a coulpe of weeks. A couple of months..... maybe.

Yob said:
whats that like 50g of grain? no huge amount of tannins will be extracted..

you dont say what hops or what schedule it was but I'd be inclined just to go meh... get it at the WP/Cube

Dr C. Bamforth says that if you can get the best healthy ferment the HSA shouldnt be a 'great concern'.. always something to be wary of but cmon trunman... youve been around long enough to 'suck it' and see..
No it was a hell of a lot more than that and I started to skim it out with a strainer while waiting for it to reach the boil. But I kept getting more and more so thats when I decided to drain it through the strainer into the cube. I must have got most of it whilst skimming except for what was in the kettle and strainer.

Funny thing was I started to fly sparge as Ive finally moved my HLT up higher than my MLT but I couldn't get the flow rates right and ended up just transferring the rest of the wort into the kettle and did a batch sparge instead.

Well at least I know for next time. But I was told by someone that grain in the boil can cause tannins so I panicked and wanted them out of there.

Ive had this happen before but not as bad and certainly not as much grain. I think next time I will do what Browndog does and put a hop sock over the end of my transfer hose.

Thanks gents for the help and advice.

browndog said:
HSA is all about long term stability, I don't think it will manifest in a coulpe of weeks. A couple of months..... maybe.
Whatever. You missed the point of my post.

Relax

Being pre-boil, wouldn't the boil drive off all the O2 anyway? What length of exposure are we talking about here?

bum said:
Being pre-boil, wouldn't the boil drive off all the O2 anyway? What length of exposure are we talking about here?
There's a difference between oxidation (oxygen being involved in reactions) and oxidation in the redox sense.

Latest posts

Back