Brett Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey all.
I was just pondering the thought, that if we keep the same carboys to use for brett/funky beers,
then what about the tallies we bottle them with?
Is it ok to use the tallies for other beers once a brett has been in them? Or should i label them and use them only for funk?
Surely a good starsan clean as per the norm would be suffice? Glass shouldnt hold onto Brett?
cheers

i re-use my bottles and haven't had a probel... yet :ph34r: , i'd assume it'd be fine aslong as there are no scratches in the glass

I've always just used the same bottles. Glass is easier to clean completely so it should be fine.

Hey all.
I was just pondering the thought, that if we keep the same carboys to use for brett/funky beers,
then what about the tallies we bottle them with?
Is it ok to use the tallies for other beers once a brett has been in them? Or should i label them and use them only for funk?
Surely a good starsan clean as per the norm would be suffice? Glass shouldnt hold onto Brett?
cheers

If you trust you can kill yeast then I wouldn't worry. As long as there is no film/pellicle left on the bottles, the sanitiser should work fine. If you're worried, do the oven sterilising trick.

Cheers
Q

Brett is omnipotent.
Seems to be everywhere at my place at the moment, but Ive decided to go with it, rather than fight it.
Kinda like Ghandi.
Having said that, I doubt it woulg hang around in glass either.

Brett is omnipotent.
Seems to be everywhere at my place at the moment, but Ive decided to go with it, rather than fight it.
Kinda like Ghandi.
Having said that, I doubt it woulg hang around in glass either.

Oven at 120C and a water bath in the oven: hot and humid works way better than just hot. Or if you have access to live steam 10secs of live steam should do the inside of the bottle, the outside can be a bit harder as they tend to have scratches and such so sitting in boiling water is probably your best shot.

Might be best to fill a big pot with bottles standing up fill with water till they are covered (and full of same) and bring the lot up to the boil, 10mins should be more than enough. Dry them in strong sunshine (UV light limits their chances at re-infecting your bottles), bottle promptly with virgin sterile gear. Now even with all that, you will probably still end up with a few funky ones.

Might just be easier not to let Brett in the door in the first place. :ph34r:

Oven at 120C and a water bath in the oven: hot and humid works way better than just hot. Or if you have access to live steam 10secs of live steam should do the inside of the bottle, the outside can be a bit harder as they tend to have scratches and such so sitting in boiling water is probably your best shot.

Might be best to fill a big pot with bottles standing up fill with water till they are covered (and full of same) and bring the lot up to the boil, 10mins should be more than enough. Dry them in strong sunshine (UV light limits their chances at re-infecting your bottles), bottle promptly with virgin sterile gear. Now even with all that, you will probably still end up with a few funky ones.

Might just be easier not to let Brett in the door in the first place. :ph34r:

Crikey!
Think i will be keeping the bottles aside for these types. Cheers all.

I've never used Brett.

Everything I have read about it however suggests it is impossible to get out of plastic fermenters, this leads me to believe that your average yeast would also be impossible to remove from plastic, just that the flavor profile of Sacromyces sp? strains is no where near as pronounced as that of the Brett strains, so it would be harder to pick up in the final product.. Food for thought.

Back