Braumiester To March Pump To Hoprocket To Plate Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
Am sick of using an immersion chiller and want to pump up my hop aroma so i have been looking into this string of toys.Have been thinking of using a Dudadiesel 30-40 plate chiller for around $80 plus post,not sure which model of pump and the hoprocket from a local supplier.The question is am i better off using female fittings to join the different components at 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch?
any help on suppliers and models would be of great help.

cheers SCum

Hi Proudscum,

I run a similar set-up. I use 1/2 inch silicon hoses with female camlock 1/2 inch fittings on the hoses- male fittings on everything else. I pump from kettle, to march pump, to hoprocket to Blichmann plate chiller to fermentor.

Picked up the Hoprocket from the US with the high Aussie dollar (through one of those Aussie run 'Buy USA' type websites). The stainless fittings for all my hoses, kettles etc came from Geordi Stainless Steel (they are in Cheltenham but will post to your home address).

Hope that helps,

Remi

Hey PS - i ran my hop rocket for the first time the other week

1/2 inch camlocks and silicon hose, females on hose and males on hardware - It worked perfectly well under gravity with the HR stuffed pretty much full of fresh hops, and i didn't even have the hi-flow adapter in there. Through a mash master chillout III.

If you are willing to risk one F'up brew to find out, you might not need that pump at all.

TB

Proof

Photo0060.jpg

Photo0061.jpg

Photo0064.jpg

Photo0067.jpg

The white stuff on the hops is ice, they were fresh hops that had been frozen since picking. I absolutley love the results... You just cant get the same sort of aroma any other way than with a hop back. The HR is a very nice quality hunk of kit too.

Note: the chillout III has barbs, so thats less camlocks in play for my system than a chiller with threaded fittings, and a couple of camlocks is the difference in price between a chillout and a cheaper heat-ex. Also much better from sanitation point of view IMO.

Hey Thirsty,
How much Head did you have, i believe they recommend 4ft, dry hopped my first batch with flowers yesterday. But have beeen following the HR threads and would be interested in getting one if not for the head, i suppose could always hoist the fermenter into the air via an electric winch which i'll be ordering soon.
briby

Kettle sits on 3 milk crates - HR and heat-ex as you can see, on a stool about 1 milk crate in height. It wasn't even close to stopping or slowing down... Ymmv though, and given that i have used it a total of one time, so might mine I suppose.

Note: the chillout III has barbs, so thats less camlocks in play for my system than a chiller with threaded fittings, and a couple of camlocks is the difference in price between a chillout and a cheaper heat-ex. Also much better from sanitation point of view IMO.
What are you using for coolant in the plate chiller, it looks darker than the wort?

What are you using for coolant in the plate chiller, it looks darker than the wort?

Just tap water wolfy, the hose is just a little discoloured is all. Check the outlet hose... Nice and colourless.

Latest posts

Back