Brand New Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turneye

Reaction score
Hi All

Think this is probably my first post - been lurking (and learning) on here for a few months now. Have just acquired all the necessary equipment for my kegging setup which will be arriving later this week so I'm looking forward to setting that up this weekend.

So I have a (silly?) question, as I like to know these sort of useless facts - where do all these 'reconditioned' kegs come from?

In all my searching for kegging systems online I don't recall seeing any places where you buy brand new 19L kegs. It's almost as if our homebrews kegs just come into the world 'used'!! As far as I was aware, all the kegs used at pubs are 50L kegs ...just can't picture where these 19L kegs are being used before they get to us.

Anyway - love the site. Such a fantastic resource for a relatively new brewer such as myself. Will get more active over the next few months/years now that I am brewing in earnest.

Cheers

Turneye

there ex- "soda" i.e coke syrup etc..

Hi All

Think this is probably my first post - been lurking (and learning) on here for a few months now. Have just acquired all the necessary equipment for my kegging setup which will be arriving later this week so I'm looking forward to setting that up this weekend.

So I have a (silly?) question, as I like to know these sort of useless facts - where do all these 'reconditioned' kegs come from?

In all my searching for kegging systems online I don't recall seeing any places where you buy brand new 19L kegs. It's almost as if our homebrews kegs just come into the world 'used'!! As far as I was aware, all the kegs used at pubs are 50L kegs ...just can't picture where these 19L kegs are being used before they get to us.

Anyway - love the site. Such a fantastic resource for a relatively new brewer such as myself. Will get more active over the next few months/years now that I am brewing in earnest.

Cheers

Turneye

G'day Turneye,

New kegs are available, but they're almost 3 times the price of a used one. Having said that, used kegs come in a variety of conditions so make sure that you get yourself a pressure tested one, or be prepared to change the seals yourself.

To answer your question as to where they came from, these kegs have been use for soft drink dispensing in a past life, have now been decommissioned and sold of for home brew beer use.

Cheers,

Justin.

Ahhh sweet (literally)

Thanks guys, that makes sense.

the funny thing is coke stopped producing in those kegs 16 years ago, well they did in qld
so its amazing how there are so many around still going strong

I love the old kegs.. .Love my Dr Pepper one best - it's the one on the end... I like the 'Warning' one too...and I must make a point of reading what it is warning me about... 'Contains Roundup Non-selective Herbicide' :lol:
kegs.jpg

Don't the site sponsors import them from the US? Most of mine are pepsi ones.

Cornelius kegs are used by pepsi
Coke used to do the other ones

For the OP: they got phased out for soft drink as newer systems use a bag of syrup in a box that gets mixed with water, then carbonated and chilled en route to the dispenser/tap. When I set up my keg system a few years ago they were $70-80 a pop and all the talk was about how soon the supply of ex-post mix kegs would run out and prices would go up... No doubt the $$$ is helping but they seem to be going regularly for $50 each now, bargain.

For the OP: they got phased out for soft drink as newer systems use a bag of syrup in a box that gets mixed with water, then carbonated and chilled en route to the dispenser/tap.

Yeh, I believe this is true. There must be a large number of these kegs around the place, many in very good condition. Add new seals and the keg is like new. :rolleyes:

Fear_n_loath

New 19 litre kegs available at liquorcraft.com.au and ibrew.com.au

linkAnyone know if the 19/9.5 litre new kegs at G&G are manufactured in Italy, China or elsewhere?

brand new 9 and 19 lt kegs on ebay $89.99 both sizes. (plus the obligatory postage......of course)

linkAnyone know if the 19/9.5 litre new kegs at G&G are manufactured in Italy, China or elsewhere?

I sent an email off to G&G earlier this arv asking a very similar question. If they are cornelius type as advertised thats a pretty good price.

Post Mix Keg 9.5 litres new Cornelius style
[KEGPOSTMI2] $135.00000

Cheers

New, Where, Why?
At $50-70 for a second handy thats pressure tested and in many cases cleaned (take with a grain of salt) then another $5-10 for new seals why pay the price of a march pump or a night out with the family for a simple storage vessel.
New is good but....

New, Where, Why?
At $50-70 for a second handy thats pressure tested and in many cases cleaned (take with a grain of salt) then another $5-10 for new seals why pay the price of a march pump or a night out with the family for a simple storage vessel.
New is good but....

Totaly agree Haysie on the 19L's but finding a 9L second hand in au is impossible.

Cheers

Brad, only read the OP and a couple other, didnt figure about the 9ltr jobbies. Yes they are hard to source. Visited MXD the other day who had a nice new shiny one and was quoting hmmmm $88 to the door. It may have been a recent bulk buy it may have not, not sure.

Latest posts

Back