Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonspoon

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if i was to bottle my beer into those groulch 450ml bottle how many carb drops do you think. I normally use 2 per tallie or 1 per stubbie but this is some were in the middle. I was thinking 1 and a half?

+1 brewers friend, when I used to bottle condition I used to bulk prime because my bottles were different sizes.

I bulk prime my beer and bottle in grolsh bottles

I rack my brew from a 25 litre fermenter , and run the beer through a plastic tube ( which fits into the tap ) into
another clean fermenter , to which I have added 500ml of hot water and 180 gm of dextrose and stir gently till well mixed

if you make your brew to 23 litres , only add 165 gram dextrose ( you can use sugar if you wish )

the advantage with this method is you can fill different size bottles at the same time

I've heard bulk priming is a special for over and under carbonation due to it spreading unevenly.

Might have to look into, sick of paying through the arse for carb drops so just been using white sugar and my interpration of a level teaspoon.

Might have to look into, sick of paying through the arse for carb drops so just been using white sugar and my interpration of a level teaspoon.

You can also get a 100ml syringe and mix up some solution that you can add 10ml at a time into bottles.

Takes a bit of playing around with calculators, but it's cheap and way faster than carb drops

Anyone use pet bottles? Been think of reusing the lids, that's another $3-4 saving per batch. Should be okay to rinse off and reuse a few times.

You won't have issues with reusing lids. Is the tamper band easily removed from the lid before capping?

Used the coopers PET bottles for ages with no problems. Lack a lot of presentation factor versus bottled in glass, but they are a lot lighter when you are carting the bottles out to the shed for carbonation/storage, or a mates bbq. Also if you cock up the carbonation or get a bacterial contamination, they will only make a mess, not a hazard.

If you have a set of digital scales to measure can put exact amount of sugar in each bottle to suit the size of the bottle five cent coin weighing 2.83 grams and if test can get exact weight.

If you have a set of digital scales to measure can put exact amount of sugar in each bottle to suit the size of the bottle five cent coin weighing 2.83 grams and if test can get exact weight.

Who has time for that though? And you are risking a lot of imprecision.

Exactly priming each bottle individually, you are using carb drops (though I find them quite variable in shape and size, and a PITA to get through the bottle neck). Batch prime the lot, or use either a 100ml or 5ml or 10ml syringe, and prime with a sugar solution. Its fast once you get going.

Hey guys just wondering if i was to bottle my beer into those groulch 450ml bottle how many carb drops do you think. I normally use 2 per tallie or 1 per stubbie but this is some were in the middle. I was thinking 1 and a half?

I used to carbonate my Grolsch with 1 drop. I found it was just the right level to my taste. I think a single drop per stubble over cooks it a bit.

Bulk priming is also easy if you’ve got a second fermenter, as is the syringe method if you are comfortable with some basic maths.

Who has time for that though? And you are risking a lot of imprecision.

Exactly priming each bottle individually, you are using carb drops (though I find them quite variable in shape and size, and a PITA to get through the bottle neck). Batch prime the lot, or use either a 100ml or 5ml or 10ml syringe, and prime with a sugar solution. Its fast once you get going.
Using the digital scales to place exact quantity of dry sugar in each bottle is the most precise way to prime just have to be careful and not double up or get sugar lodged in funnel.

I've heard bulk priming is a special for over and under carbonation due to it spreading unevenly.
Never had a problem in many years

have to make sure it is well mixed

I assume you take into account the "sugar" is well mixed in hot water before adding to the second fermenter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back