Bottling vs. Kegging: The Style Edition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochem

Reaction score
Hey there brewnuts,

I've been wondering about the possible pros and cons of bottling vs kegging in regards to specific styles.

For example: i have a Belgian IPA (possibly Imperial :p ) that needs to be either bottled or kegged. I could use my regular crown seal bottles, but i have been reading that it is recommended to bottle Belgians with the "heavier" "thicker" corking bottles similar to the sort that the Belgian breweries use.

Is this only to mimic their packaging? or is there something specific about Belgian yeasts that make bottling with corks truly necessary? if its only about co2 volumes, that shouldn't be a problem as i will likely be keeping the bottling volume to usual levels (2-2.5).

IF there is something that im missing out on if i dont cork them, im putting this big boy into the keg. I'll be missing, however, the bottle conditioning character that Belgian ales can provide.

thoughts??
:super:

My feeling is that Belgians are often corked due to the high carb levels. 4vol can be hard to maintain in a kegging environment. I am also being more and more effectively convinced that bottle conditioning (triple fermentation as they often call it) is a big contributor to the "it" factor in Belgians.

If you're sure it's fully attenuated and you're only going to standard priming volumes, I would think standard bottles are ok.

Mr. No-Tip said:
4vol can be hard to maintain in a kegging environment.
Not sure on the exact science and strengths of the materials behind it, but I'd be tipping my stainless steel modern kegs can hold more pressure than a corked glass bottle of the same design that's over 500 years old.

If you're worried about pressure use champagne bottles with a plastic cork and wire cage. Proper champas will easily hold 4 volumes if you seal them correctly.

JD

slcmorro said:
Not sure on the exact science and strengths of the materials behind it, but I'd be tipping my stainless steel modern kegs can hold more pressure than a corked glass bottle of the same design that's over 500 years old.
I'm sure he is referring to dispensing at such high pressures

slcmorro said:
Heaps more, but what happens when you let it out. One probably could get enough line to get around this, but few homebrewing setups would have that much line.

Mr. No-Tip said:
My feeling is that Belgians are often corked due to the high carb levels. 4vol can be hard to maintain in a kegging environment. I am also being more and more effectively convinced that bottle conditioning (triple fermentation as they often call it) is a big contributor to the "it" factor in Belgians.

If you're sure it's fully attenuated and you're only going to standard priming volumes, I would think standard bottles are ok.
Thanks for all the responses.

I was actually under the impression that Belgians should be at regular volumes... Not as much as 4!
But I am inexperienced.

I'm bottling, at 2.3 volumes of co2..... But I think this topic has more to be explored.

I like champagne bottles for Belgians, and use plastic corks. It's pretty cool when you pop open a bottle. I use them mainly for funky beers ( hard to be 100% sure when it's finished fermenting ) and Belgian beers.

I agree about Belgians and bottle conditioning. I kegged a dubbel once and regretted it. The few samples I bottled were much better.

Thanks.

For me, this is my first time using Belgian yeast.
Its a big beer... 1.068 now down to 1.005. Not huge but the biggest I've brewed yet.
I used the Mangrove Jacks Belgian yeast (two packets).
It cruised at 18c for three weeks in the primary, then cold crashed for eight days.
Definitely has some boozy finish. Hoping that will sort itself out while conditioning in the bottle.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
On the other hand, with an IPA, kegs allow you to keg hop or randall, which gives a hop kick that's difficult to replicate in the bottle.
I'm unfamiliar with the "Randall"method....

Praise the lord.....

And now, my homebrewing life is evolving as we speak.

Now I understand why the "hopback" beer served at the pub was so unique.
Would it likely have been served thru a similar system?

I have a blichmann hop rocket which does a great job and can be used for hot flower hopping on the way to the chiller as well.

I've seen folks use the standard beer plastic filter housing as well....obviously not on the hot side ;)

Lochem said:
Praise the lord.....
And now, my homebrewing life is evolving as we speak.
Now I understand why the "hopback" beer served at the pub was so unique.
Would it likely have been served thru a similar system?
Yep, Randall/hopback beers are fresh hops which beer is run through

Back