Bottling in champagne bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blind Dog said:
No it isn't. They don't fit in standard crates which makes them much harder to store, move and sort. With 600+ entries anything to save a little time and effort is vital to get the comp done and dusted in 2 days.

And no I'm not on the committee, just stewarded and hugely grateful that the bottles were sorted and ordered in crates on the day
I hate to admit it but it sounds like my comment was uninformed so I there is a logical reason. For sours however it would be good to have an exception

skb said:
<snip> I there is a logical reason. For sours however it would be good to have an exception
There is whole discussion on the VicBrew 2015 thread somewhere about it. One reason I had no entries for this year as I like champagne bottles, but, now having run a comp myself (with others in Geelong Craft Brewers Top 5 Shootout), I can somewhat understand the concerns about crates, if they have already a bulk of crates purchased and available, why go buy a bunch of new ones to fit the odd % of people using champagne bottles, it is both an expense and a hassle.

Comps are a massive undertaking, usually by a limited number of people, to organise. They want to make it easier on themselves whilst catering for the majority. Fair enough.

So if you wanted to bottle a big, highly carbonated beer for a comp what other options are there?

I was looking at Leffe Blonde bottles, but they look incredibly thin.

There's always plastic. Should hold the higher carb and not a complete disaster if it doesn't. Lacks the romance of a champagne bottle though...

I'm living on the edge, I just bottled some hefe in no-refill twist top bottles to approx 3 vols. :super:

Hefe is fine, as it should carb to what you've calcd and no more. Probably drink it fairly soon as well. With a sour/Brett beer, it will be in that bottle for a long time, and you never quite know how far it will carbonate.

Latest posts

Back