bottling help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vape and brew

Reaction score
so about to bottle my secound batch went a got bottles but forgot cab drops :(

a mate said to use normal white sugar......

I'm not sure if I should will it still give the brew carbonation or change it for the worse

so here I am like a good noob asking the experts on the best forum for brewing

cheers all

You can definitely use plain old white sugar. Carb drops are around 1/2 white sugar and half dextrose from what I'm lead to believe.
If you have dex or LDM than depending on your style of beer you are carbing then I'd be using that.. There are plenty of online calculators just Google carbonation calculator and your will find the right thing.
My 2c digga

I actually think the drops are glucose... but maybe wrong.

Anyway... recently changed to bulk priming and wont go back.
If you have a spare fermenter or vessel you can siphon your brew into with already dissolved dextrose or other it is far better.
Especially if mixing up the bottle sizes.
I use 180g for a 23 litre fermenter.
Have found it perfect carbonation rate for my liking. Others might want it different.
Anyway... Good luck.

v&B,

Just open the bottles and drop 1 or 2 crab drops in each bottle then reseal. Just be ready for the rush of froth - so have someone help you (i.e. one person to drop in carb drops and 1 person to take cap off and put on again quickly).

I had to do this with a wheat brew last year. I did it over the laundry tubs, as the occasional bottle wasn't capped quick enough and a little froth squirted out of the bottle.

Cheers,

Pete

Latest posts

Back