Bottling from keg via tap.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalium

Reaction score
I'm wondering whether or not it's possible to install a tap (like the one in a fermenter) into the bottom of a corny keg, cool it to near 0c, pressurise it to 2-3 volumes of co2, and then bottle it with a 'blue bottler' (same as if I was bottling from the fermenter).

At this temp a lot of CO2 will be in the liquid, and I am hoping I would not lose too much during the bottling process. So obviously I'm relying on gravity + keg pressure to fill the bottles. I suspect they would fill quite quickly.

Why not just keep it in the keg? I may at some point. For the time being I want to bottle it though :) I'm trying to make sweet sparkling mead. Bottle conditioning simply does not work (at least if you want it to be sweetened with honey). I also am hoping I can get away with just a soda stream CO2 cannister. They don't have a lot in them, and from what I've read I the soda stream would last about twice as long without using it for dispensing.

Would this work?

Cheers.

Assuming you used a simple bottling wand, you'd want to purge the headspace of pressure right before bottling so it doesn't force its way out of the bottling wand and foam up everywhere.. but I reckon this is worth a shot. You'd lose a bit of carbonation due to the beer equilibrating with the headspace, but you could adjust for that by carbing around 0.1 volume higher.. I am speaking out of my ass though, hopefully a less uncultured swine can back me up

Don't modify a keg unless you really know what you're doing. The steel is very thin and almost impossible to weld for an amateur. Even with a proper weld, it's liable to crack, especially near the knuckle of the pressure vessel which can be under compression. The last thing you want is to lose a body part from an exploding keg.

Just get a bottle filler gun and attach that to the liquid post and away you go.

If you are bottling the carbonated mead with fermentables (honey) you may be creating bottle bombs. Sending from keg to bottles for storage , unless storing cool, would have the same effect as bottle conditioning.

bradsbrew said:
If you are bottling the carbonated mead with fermentables (honey) you may be creating bottle bombs. Sending from keg to bottles for storage , unless storing cool, would have the same effect as bottle conditioning.
Not if you use sulfites and sorbate. You force pressurise it in the keg afterwards, and then bottle.

klangers said:
Don't modify a keg unless you really know what you're doing. The steel is very thin and almost impossible to weld for an amateur. Even with a proper weld, it's liable to crack, especially near the knuckle of the pressure vessel which can be under compression. The last thing you want is to lose a body part from an exploding keg.

Just get a bottle filler gun and attach that to the liquid post and away you go.
Hmm, you bring up a good point.

Why not use that handy turret on top of the keg, you will still be drawing from the bottom and it saves drillin holes??

dr K said:
Why not use that handy turret on top of the keg, you will still be drawing from the bottom and it saves drillin holes??
Hah, quite right. Depressurise, and then syphon and bottle with bottler. That way I save on CO2, and I suspect I will avoid foaming issues.

From a BN podcast (Weizenbock, iirc): Several people, including Tasty McDole, over-carbonate in the keg, and cool closer to 0°C than serving temp, then turn down the serving pressure to a few PSI, and dispense into bottles from their beer tap on a kegerator.
They (and I) have found this to be effective, and it allows you to cap onto foam for less oxidation of the beer.

Cant you just gass it up use one of these? - (Blichmann bottle filler). I normally just chill my clean bottles, reduce the pressure to about half that of regular pour and use a Pluto gun to fill travelers then cap, works fine and stays perfectly carbonated.

beergun.jpg

Hey just a question are you using glass or PET bottles? If using PET have a look at carbonation caps. Just add some 6mm beer line to reach the bottom of the bottle, the cap screws on perfect and just slowly release the pressure to fill acts exactly like a counter pressure filler. Only good for pet bottles though

I use a bronco tap and bottling wand joined together using a couple of inches of snug fitting vinyl tubing.
I also pulled the gas trigger out of an old glass bottle soda stream, give each bottle a shot or two of co2 before filling.
My theory is, you will at least will end up with a blanket of co2 to help protect the beer/liquid as you fill.

Latest posts

Back