Bottling Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fogartn

Reaction score
g day

just wondering...... when i am bottling my brew. how far from the bottom of the fermenter should i stop..... (once its below the tap)????

g day

just wondering...... when i am bottling my brew. how far from the bottom of the fermenter should i stop..... (once its below the tap)????

It's up to you. I usually leave about a litre but I rack to secondary, fine and cold condition. The yeast that's left is usually pretty clumped at that point. If you have the full yeastcake in there I would suggest leave a litre or two above the cake or bottle that last bit but mark the bottles as testers so they're the first ones you open to see if carb is good.

Obviously the closer to the yeast, the more sediment you are likely to get so it has to be up to you to work out what's best.

Thanks Flash_DG. was just bottling one today and thought i'd see what everyone else does. just found this site today... how do you end up with more beers next to your name. I look like a pussy ha ha ha

Thanks Flash_DG. was just bottling one today and thought i'd see what everyone else does. just found this site today... how do you end up with more beers next to your name. I look like a pussy ha ha ha

Ask many a question :D

Hi Strappa,
It's not how many beers next to your name that counts. It's how good your beer tastes!

Once you have done a few brews you'll get to know how many bottles you will get and when to stop.

One thing I used to do, is before I start bottling is to lossen the lid on the fermenter, not so it would fall off, but so it was very easy to remove later. Then once you are bottling and are just about finished and wondering how mnay more bottles you will get, then screw the lid off and you can watch the beer going into the tap as you fill the bottles. Once you notice that the yeast cake is getting drawn into the tap, then stop.

Fear_n_Loath

another stupid question..... how do i update the beers i am brewing/drinking...

eg.Ready to Drink: Mexican Cerveza, Coopers Sparkling Ale, Hefeweizen
Conditioning: Mexican Cerveza (Saaz hopped)

Secondary:

Primary:
Preparing to Brew: Robust Porter
Planning: English Bitter, Robust Porter, Cider, Mead
Updated 25/11/09

cant find the this part

My 2c:

Nothing wrong with a bit of yeast in your beer.
Thicker taste perhaps, but it's nutritious and in some peoples opinion, provides the mineral intake that reduces a hangover/liver damage...

I still label the last beer or two as 'yeasties', but they're not just for testing, but for desperate times.

And while your at it, might as well bottle the sludge/yeast cake residue as well and use it as a yeast source when custom designing your own beers without having to buy kits and the like.
Or you can boil it and use it as a 'booster' nutrient for your next brew.

The possibilities are endless.

thanks fellas

i reckon i'll keep doing what i have been and tilt it till it starts to get cloudy. hasn't seemed to make to much difference so far. might mark the bottles next time so i can check for sure

cheers....BEEEEERRRR

another stupid question..... how do i update the beers i am brewing/drinking...

Up the top it says "My Controls", click that then scroll down until you see "Edit Signature" in the column on the left. Write what you're making in there.

If you want that is. Many people don't bother. And it seems that many of those that do bother don't bother to keep it current.

Welcome aboard!

oh the sig at the bottom? you need to go into your 'My Controls' which is at the top of the page ^up there^
then look for Signature on the left menu

I think I might have a harder time of not getting a cloudy few towards the end now that I have calibrated my fermenter and found that it was 2.5L more then it should have been.

Did your beers seem really watery before you "calibrated" your fermenter?

Did your beers seem really watery before you "calibrated" your fermenter?

I wouldn't say watery no.

Honestly I wouldn't know, only been brewing since September and only just put one in since I found out the 23L mark was too high.

Latest posts

Back