Bottled Yeast Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbd1979

Reaction score
I've just bottled some yeast starters and put 'em in the fridge. I'm sure the starter was fermented out, it was around 3 days after high krausen with regular shaking to make sure it was all done. Shook the starter to get the yeast cake into suspension before bottling, and now the starters have a small layer of air bubbles / foam on top, sitting in the fridge. They're only half full. Are these potential grenades? Or should I be worried about oxidation? Will oxidation affect the actual yeast, or just the starter wort it's in (which I can toss before pitching)?

cheers,

Matt

I've just bottled some yeast starters and put 'em in the fridge. I'm sure the starter was fermented out, it was around 3 days after high krausen with regular shaking to make sure it was all done. Shook the starter to get the yeast cake into suspension before bottling, and now the starters have a small layer of air bubbles / foam on top, sitting in the fridge. They're only half full. Are these potential grenades? Or should I be worried about oxidation? Will oxidation affect the actual yeast, or just the starter wort it's in (which I can toss before pitching)?

cheers,

Matt

Dont tighten the lids. Just have them sitting on top to keep nasties out.
Cheers
Steve

cheers,

Matt

Dont tighten the lids. Just have them sitting on top to keep nasties out.
Cheers
Steve

Only trouble is, i'm using glass stubbies and crown seals... :(

Not saying its neccesarily the best way of doing it but you have done exactly what i do every time. never had any issues at all with too much pressure in the bottle. if you are worried just use a bottle opener to gently release some pressure.

Not saying its neccesarily the best way of doing it but you have done exactly what i do every time. never had any issues at all with too much pressure in the bottle. if you are worried just use a bottle opener to gently release some pressure.

Thanks for the reassurance. Not too worried about too much pressure in the bottles, made sure the starter was fermented out, but still...always in the back of your mind a bit :unsure:

I guess I should have gently swirled the starter to get the yeast into suspension instead of shaking the shit out of it! But doing that still didn't produce any hiss or noticeable pressure release when I took the bung out, just foam, which disappeared pretty quick. So should be right re bottle pressure, especially since they're only half full.

What I'm more worried about now is the potential for oxidation affecting the yeast starters. When should starters be shaken to kick the fermentation along and make sure everything is fermented out? Once a starter's well into fermentation and you've stepped up a couple of times, is it still wise to shake every now and then? Do the rules about minimising oxidation (ie oxygenate just before pitching and never again) apply to starters as well as the real brew? Or is it the starter wort and not the actual yeast with the potential to be affected, in which case it wouldn't matter anyway?

cheers,

Matt :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back