Bottle priming mistake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mullett

Reaction score
Have just realized I have used wheat extract instead of LDME to bulk prime my last two batches when bottling. I used 145g for each 23l batch which had worked out well when using LDME for most of this year but now after 6weeks the beer has only minimal carbonation.
I was planning on removing all the caps then adding maybe 50g dextrose (divided over the whole batch) then recapping. Would this solve the flat beer problem??

If you know you have underprimed and you know how much by, then you can safely do as you suggest. Do not guess and be sure the bottles are not just slow to carb because they are too cold.

Dry sugar will foam up so make a sugar solution and dose each bottle with a syringe.

It shouldn't have been too much of an issue, wheat DME should be of similar fermentability as light DME. But that being said, DME is variably fermentable anyway, and isn't your best choice for bulk priming. Why not just use dextrose, which is a lot more predictable? There's so little of it in each bottle, it really won't affect the end flavour, if that's your concern?

There's a few other things you can try, like turning all your bottles upside down for a few days, then back the right way up, it will put some of the yeast back into suspension. This worked well on an under carbed batch of amber ale I had a while back. More detail on it here.

Thanks for the advice, all bottles now re-primed, inverted and in the laundry at 18C, see how they are in a week or so.
Might stick to dextrose in the future

Latest posts

Back