Bottle Conditioning Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purely from my personal observation, I noticed a bit of ester from the free range (22-25) one compared to the temp controlled (17c) one. First taste after 2 weeks was noticeble, but over time hardly could tell the difference.

I stored my last couple of batches in my fermenting fridge due to the extreme heat in SE QLD recently and noticed a big difference in flavour & carbonation.

Firstly the flavour preservation was evident, especially in the hoppy APA !
Secondly the carbonation was so much smoother, smaller bubbles and a nice dense head with retention.

I try to keep carbonating bottles within ale yeasts' recommended temperature range. If it's toward the upper end in theory carbonation should go faster. Lagers I try to keep around 18. If you don't have temperature control available for carbonating, pack the bottles together in containers to smooth day/night variation; one bottle gains and loses heat fast, while 20L of them does not. There is some heat generation, enough to raise temps a degree or so. If you live in some stinking hot tropical town, get cooling.

Agree with Manticle: after carbing, the cooler the better. A possible exception is delaying carbing in bottle-conditioned (no secondary) lagers. I've been experimenting with that and will soon report.

There is a huge difference in taste between bottles that are carbed under ideal temps and those carbed under higher temps.
Those that say there is no difference really need to do the experiment themselves.

Carbing is secondary fermentation- it is the same process as primary fermentation and as such off flavours are generated the same way.

I noticed it a couple of years ago. In the tropics, the ambient is often 35C plus and the bottled beers taste shit for it. I think once carbed the temp doesnt matter to the same extent but I usually chill once carbed up.

This was confirmed for me at our last beer club meeting where one of the members brought in 3 bottles of the same beer. 1 carbed at 18C, 1 carbed at ambient and 1 carbed at ambient for 2 days and then at 18C. The one carbed at 18C was so far and away better than the other 2 that it wasn't funny. The one that spent the first couple of days at ambient was noticably better than the one that was kept at ambient for the full duration but still shit compared to the first bottle.

In summation- if you bottle in hot climates, treat the first 2 weeks in the bottle as you would a primary ferment.

Droopy Brew said:
In summation- if you bottle in hot climates, treat the first 2 weeks in the bottle as you would a primary ferment.
Exactly the advice I've been after. Thank you. I just don't have enough temp stable storage options.
My idea is after bottling I will place the bottles in my 2nd fridge, also temp controlled, leave for 2-3 weeks, then place in storage.
Unfortunately this seems a bit of messing around but it should be worth it.

I would modify that slightly: the first three days are the critical part as that is when all the yeast growth occurs*. After that it is less critical but temps over 30 oC are not good for beer at any stage.

*Assuming decent yeast numbers present at bottling. I always add yeast for the secondary to ensure this is true.

Be interested to know how you go without LC.

Only reseeding I've done is well aged beers (as in a year or more, including >10%) with no issues.

So the addition of priming sugars will see the needed developments for yeast in the first three days?! Too easy, that'll streamline things nicely. Thank funk this sort of research isn't left up to me, or everyone would be pissing in their f.v, stirring it with their schlong, and hoping for the best.

manticle said:
Be interested to know how you go without LC.

Only reseeding I've done is well aged beers (as in a year or more, including >10%) with no issues.
The only time I've tested this the primary yeasts (S04, S189) were actually slightly faster than the added yeast (DV10).

On the other hand every side by side comparison of bottle conditioning on beer yeast vs DV10 I've done I've preferred the result on the DV10 so I just do it as a matter of course now.

Stouter said:
So the addition of priming sugars will see the needed developments for yeast in the first three days?
I did some experiments a few months ago and reported the results here. Net result was that the bottles got to full pressure in 3 - 4 days.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I did some experiments a few months ago and reported the results here. Net result was that the bottles got to full pressure in 3 - 4 days.
Appreciated, you have gone above and beyond.
Are there other factors past carbonation for which temperature will affect taste?

If I understand your question correctly : chemical reactions are increased by temperature.

There are a whole bunch of pathways set up as far back as malting and more that commence at every step beyond.

Many of them lead to oxidation of compounds in the beer and subsequent off flavours.

These are inevitable and irreversible but can be either accelerated (warm storage among other things) or retarded (cool/cold storage).

My question pertains only to post primary fermentation, and the following weeks past bottling.

Yeah but those reactions continue post bottling so cool wins.

Unless I've misunderstood.

If I have, I blame stone dog.

I've conditioned bottles at around 30-32C before. Straight in the fridge once they were all carved.
No difference in taste at all compared to conditioning at 20C

stewy said:
I've conditioned bottles at around 30-32C before. Straight in the fridge once they were all carved.
No difference in taste at all compared to conditioning at 20C
You need to get yourself some new taste buds. :p

Well, I've finally got enough space for temp controlled conditioning, and the first batch is currently sitting at 18deg. I've just realised though, that I stupidly didn't leave any 'control' bottles out at ambient for comparison. Oh well, there will be many more future batches to test the difference.

However, if the difference is as black and white as everyone says, I shouldn't need a control to tell me it's better, memory should serve well enough.

grott said:
I wonder if there is an issue with temperatures after bottling. How much beer etc is carted around this country in extreme temperatures, not only bottles but cans. Do breweries store there bottles/cans in cool rooms until delivered, I don't think they do. I just bottle, crate and store in a room until needed.
Cheers
I have seen over many years in Darwin that every wet season half the beer I buy is off, most is still drinkable but as temps rise quality plummets.

Have set up a chest freezer with temp control can hold two fermenters and almost sixty bottles for conditioning.
Thinking of going with kegs and then filling bottles as required from the keg as I think I can fit two kegs in with the fermenters and therefore have two brews fermenting and two conditioning in kegs. Hoping this will solve any temp issues.

I find that beer in bottles tastes better if put in the fridge for several days before drinking and would think that after it carbonates would keep better in cold storage but space would be a problem.

Latest posts

Back