Bottle Carbonation Times In Winter ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaninglady

Reaction score
I started brewing this year in March and it was still Summer Temps , i'm just wondering what sort of time i would expect for Bottle Carbonation in Winter ?

I'm conditioning in the kitchen near the fridge (which is the warmest place) but averages around 15C or less.

The last 2 brews : Bock and a Bohemian Pilsner are still pretty flat.

I racked both for about 2 weeks , prior to bottling , in a cube (with a cap , not airlock ; letting the gas pressure out as needed).

Bottle Conditioning time was about 2 weeks.

cL

It is a bit like "How long is a piece of string?" but 4 weeks should be enough in most cases.

I find mine vary heaps, from 1 week in a vienna (with an ale yeast) to 6 weeks and counting for a mild!! I usually have at least one in plastic and give it a squeeze, its done when its rock hard

I have done some bottling recently
after 1 week I had basically no carbonation
after the second week I had about 50% of the carbonation I wanted, but the beer tasted overly sweet.

Based on that I think it will be at least another 2 weeks before I get the result I want.
That is just sitting in the house at ambient temp, so probably about 15 degrees.

I have done some bottling recently
after 1 week I had basically no carbonation
after the second week I had about 50% of the carbonation I wanted, but the beer tasted overly sweet.

Based on that I think it will be at least another 2 weeks before I get the result I want.
That is just sitting in the house at ambient temp, so probably about 15 degrees.
@joshua
I really get what you say about the overt sweetness.

The Pilsner is only just starting to get any carbonation and the sweetness seems to be conveyed in a very different way at that carb. level.

I've found that in some tap beers the excess of carbonation makes hops really attack my top palate.

I suppose we are all looking for that perfect carb. level that may not necessarily be someone elses !

I keep my bottles in a spare room which is about 12 deg over winter. I reckon all my yeasties (ale) have gone to sleep becuase I've a batch over 2 months old not fully carbed yet. I'm brewing every 3 weeks, and am not drinking any of it becasue its not carbing so the room is filling up - too much beer, what a problem to have! Actually, the problem is, I've been buying packaged beer to get me through.

I would expect thoughh that you should have more luck with lager yeasts that should still be active at 12 deg.

I was thinking about this problem on the weekend, and concluded that I need rto build a heated cupboard for botte priming in winter - another project on a long list that will be finished around 2020.

Back