Bottle Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomber1975

Reaction score
Quick question. When conditioning your beers after bottling, when if at all are they more likely to blow up. First brew and am paranoid about them Taking out the front corner of the house. :eek: I also keep going to check on them every half an hour ( I know it is going to be a long 8 or so weeks) ha ha :D

I only bottled after FG sat at 1012 for 4 straight days. But am wondering when I should start to feel safe about not losing any. Also will it matter with the temps It is hot over here in the West at the moment. I have them in my Workshop in Esky's with a couple of Cold Icepacks trying to keep them down in the low 20's.

All up though bottling day went well. The beers look and smell good and clear and bubbled up nice when I primed and bottled them

clearly weapons of mass destruction!!

Quick question. When conditioning your beers after bottling, when if at all are they more likely to blow up. First brew and am paranoid about them Taking out the front corner of the house. :eek: I also keep going to check on them every half an hour ( I know it is going to be a long 8 or so weeks) ha ha :D

I only bottled after FG sat at 1012 for 4 straight days. But am wondering when I should start to feel safe about not losing any. Also will it matter with the temps It is hot over here in the West at the moment. I have them in my Workshop in Esky's with a couple of Cold Icepacks trying to keep them down in the low 20's.

All up though bottling day went well. The beers look and smell good and clear and bubbled up nice when I primed and bottled them

From what I've read they tend to blow up when its hottest and when someone has bottled them with to high a finishing gravity and then primed them (1012 sounds ok). Good idea to keep the temp down in the low 20's, leave it for 3 weeks and then pop them in the fridge for a week.

How did you prime and what where volumes, mass of sugar used etc. also are you using pet bottles or glass

Ohh yeah I should have said that I used the Carbonation drops I got with the starter kit one per 330ml glass bottle. I do remember seeing the destruction that was left behind when my old man used to brew so I am paranoid :D

As long as you only used 1 drop per stubby, you won't have any issues at all.

If you do get any that explode - it will be down to two things - 1) infection or 2) overpriming (with sugar to carbonate)

Infections may not always be apparent when bottling. I lost a few batches that way!

If some are exploding, get some shade cloth, safety goggles and gloves and move in slowly. You'll not believe how powerful they are until one explodes in your hand! Cover the bottles with the cloth and then use a bottle opener to release the pressure.

The solution to this is KEGS! :beer:

I waited 2 years for kegs, and wish I had just coughed up. No explosions, nor bottle cleaning. Faster and easier brewing.

Good luck!

Back