Bottle Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar scary experience a couple of months back - lager with dry enzyme (never again) and was the last batch where i primed each bottle rather than bulk priming...

Was messing around in the fridge when a half dozen bottles fell off a shelf - got a bit shaken up but all looked ok. Put them back in and went to watch tv. About an hour later there was a loud explosion and when i opened the fridge there was the 'typical' mess of a bottle bomb.

Took the others out of the fridge and put them on the floor - shut the door and went to get a bottle opener - just as i opened the door another burst! Thankfully only my ankles copped some shrapnel, but it could have been so much worse. The next 30 mins was dedicated to making a 'blast shield' so i could open the other bottles somewhat safely.

Valuable lesson at the end of the day and due to my own stupidity + non-swingtop Grolsch bottles are thin + likely overprimed...i also suspect i bottled too early as the dry enzyme was still doing its job.

Dan

:icon_cheers:

I'm petrified of bottle bombs, especially because I have a house full of young children. I only use Coopers longnecks for bottling, so far so good. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had problems with Coopers bottles? Some of the other brands seem to use thin bottles in comparison.

cooper's bottles are awesome, i've had a few of the other styles of longneck explode on my but never a coopers bottle. that is in my meagre year and a half of brewing experience though

Had one go boom 3 weeks ago.

Coincided with a sudden rise in temperature in Melbourne on a really hot day so will agree with Raven's early assessment on post 3. Would agree that this happened with me and that sudden heat was a cause.

Another factor with my explosion was that the bottle was a VB twist top long neck that had seen some reuse.
Don't seem to have these issues with the heavier glass like Coopers Tallies. I guess bottles that come from bottle conditioned beers - like coopers, belgians and the like tend to be packed in thicker glass and able to cope with a bit more pressure. I guess CUB and the like put the words 'Not for refill' on the side for a reason. Not that that's going to stop me!

Something to consider.

Hopper.

Its reassuring to read the last, ive been only collecting (gee such terrible work) only coopers longnecks for my brew, Ive got em stored in a Coop's box in a garbage bag or two for just these reasons... is it worth giving the box a kick or two the day before ya wanna bring em out?

I'm pretty sure the one that blew the other night was one of those generic german 500ml bottles.
A couple of years ago I found a twist top stubby with no arse, but the blow up I had last Jan/Feb took out 4 bottles so can't recall what went (I'll say they were twist top tallies)

It is interesting to hear about all the bottle bombs as I have lost at least 10 of my Golden Harvest brew in the past week. I emptied the rest out this morning and they were hard to hold when undoing the top, they would have gone in the next day or two. I did everything I have done for the past five years and this is the first "explosive" batch I've had. I am conscious of cleanliness and I checked the 1006 reading before bottling, so I am guessing it was just a bad brew.
Next job is to clear the shed so I can clean up all the glass before the grandkids get in there.
They certainly go off with a bang and send glass everywhere. I will be covering the next lot with a tapr.

I remember seeing a bottle bomb thread last year where someone took a photo of the result. They had a closeup photo of a chunk of glass buried about a centimetre into a plasterboard ceiling. Now that's scary. You'd want to hide when those bad boys start going off :ph34r:

Hopper.

I think I'm about to get some bottle bomb problems myself. Bulk-primed a 21 L batch of cherry witbier with 150 grams of white sugar last night, checked one of the PETs half an hour ago and it was rock solid already. I'm not sure whether I should have left it in the secondary with the fruit for a longer (was in there a week, but SG was stable at 1010 for 4 days), or whether the PET just primed quickly because of the heat and yeast (T-58). I've double-boxed all the glass and put them into the bath-tub and covered the bath-tub with a thick blanket - hopefully they just carbonated quickly!

I over-primed one of my batches and had two bombs(which I never witnessed) that didnt leave any evidence of being violent explosions. I have now drank most of that batch and only have about 4 or 5 long necks left(old bottles- thick and strong)

Now this is weird: When I opened one of these to degas before refrigerating for drinking, a bit a gas scaped but nothing serious. After refrigerated opened again and got the usual burst. Drank half of it put the cap back with my hand and back to the fridge. Next day tried to open it again and the cap took off almost hitting my forehead. (Smoking gun kind of thing)

What I find unusual is that this didnt happen at room temp (warmer than fridge for sure- specially this week) and with full bottle. I expected that, by having emptied half the bottle, there would be more space for the gas and therefore less pressure build up. I also expected that by having it refrigerated the liquid would absorb more CO2 and therefore less pressure as well. I was wrong.... I repeated the experiment with a secong long neck and got the same result.

I believe I know the explanation for this, but would like to know of similar experiences.

You haven't lived until one goes off right next to you.
That just happened. I was labelling the batch too!

I was just sticking on the 2nd last label, when an almighty bang went off on the floor next to me. I've got SWMBO's old yoga mat wrapped around the crate just in case. This directed the blast upwards and I felt stuff (air, glass, Belgian Blonde vapour) rush past my face. ****, I shouted "argh!" in shock. It was some scary shit... obviously scarier than November's Chernobyl in the cupboard.

Went out to tell SWMBO what happened, came back in and saw 10 labelled bottles sitting on the counter. Jeez, that was like seeing 10 live grenades. Grabbed the nearest dropsheet and quickly lowered them into "Ground Zero". I'm not cleaning up properly until I get my full facemask from work.

Currently chilling out typing this with a Thai whisky on ice (honestly it's quite crap but totally hitting the spot)
Reckon I could just about write a thesis on bottle bombs now.
Latest theory is they don't like heat. Or Belgian's don't like summer?

Now... where else to store my warheads...

Scary stuff, but glad to hear you weren't hit.

It's kinda one of the top ten reasons I take a break from brewing for most of January. That, and catching up on drinking what I made while I'm on holidays. :)

Cheers - Fermented.

Scary stuff, but glad to hear you weren't hit.

It's kinda one of the top ten reasons I take a break from brewing for most of January. That, and catching up on drinking what I made while I'm on holidays. :)

Cheers - Fermented.
One last and very important theory, both November's and tonights explosions were with the same yeast - WLP550 Belgian Ale. I'll blame my yeast management, not the yeast strain.
And I think I'll retire it from service.

My brother in law works for the recycling part of Geelong City Council, he reckons that there is a major difference between bottle glass and the kind of glass used for vases, glasses etc. When people put broken glasses etc in their recycle bin, it ends up causing weaknesses in the bottles made from this recycled glass.

Anyway, I don't know squat about that, but it would not surprise me.

When I bottle I use champagne bottles, extra tough and free at your local garbage dump or nearby restaurant dumpster.

My brother in law works for the recycling part of Geelong City Council, he reckons that there is a major difference between bottle glass and the kind of glass used for vases, glasses etc. When people put broken glasses etc in their recycle bin, it ends up causing weaknesses in the bottles made from this recycled glass.

Anyway, I don't know squat about that, but it would not surprise me.

When I bottle I use champagne bottles, extra tough and free at your local garbage dump or nearby restaurant dumpster.
Yep, I've heard that too. The one that went was a stubby, not sure what type it was, but some of them are very thin these days.
Thankfully half the batch has been bottled in champagne bottles.

I've got my old full face asbestos mask in my bag ready for tonight's cleanup. :ph34r:
I can still hear the bang. :blink:

i have had a few blow the bottoms out but nothing serious.Lucky they were in a foam box like the ones chemists get for holding Dry ice in.

Although after i bottle i won't leave them on the kitchen table to carbonate.........

I got them at the moment in my 70L esky holds 35 longnecks and have already had 6. they have been bottled for 8 days now. SHould be better by wednesday but i think i got some of them infected..

You should look into when to bottle your beer by using your hydrometer, how much sugar to carbonate your beer with, your sanitisation and try to slow down with drinking you beer super new beer. All will help with how your beer tastes down the road.

i have had a few blow the bottoms out but nothing serious.Lucky they were in a foam box like the ones chemists get for holding Dry ice in.

Although after i bottle i won't leave them on the kitchen table to carbonate.........

I got them at the moment in my 70L esky holds 35 longnecks and have already had 6. they have been bottled for 8 days now. SHould be better by wednesday but i think i got some of them infected..

Its this sort of behaviour that gives home brew a bad name.
Put your beer away somewhere for a couple of weeks to age, and possibly all to explode.

If your having multiple blow outs then you've fucked something up.

Take a little time, read through the forums, ask questions and learn what your doing before you do it, you may well hurt yourself or worse, someone else, and maybe badly.

agree with the above posts, exploding glass aint to be taken lightly, but you'd never have joined AHB if you didn't give a sh*t about your beer so id suggest reading a good book like howtobrew and you'll quickly pick up where you are going wrong.

but regardless of what level your at if your not clean, really clean, your beer will end up shit.

Latest posts

Back