Bottle Bin Sanitizer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAUOMBO

Reaction score
I read that someone kept a bin full of sanitizing solution and as he used the bottles, simply put them in there.

On bottling day, he just pulled them out of the bin, a quick drip dry (no rinse sanitizer, I assume) and immediately bottled them

a huge time saver

1. what no rinse sanitizer would work (the iodine one only lasts hours, not weeks/months)
2. could it be re-used possibly several times over?

MAUOMBO

You will find that most sanitizers only have a working life of hours and break down in effiency over time.

I have not come across one that would last days/weeks/month and i probably would have trouble trusting it to do a good job.

+ all the crap my kids would throw in their, does'nt make it worth the hassel

Kleiny

If a sanitiser is to be stored already made up, it needs to be mixed with de-mineralised water for it to be stored for a period of time..

As far as im concerned, when it comes to sanitiser, dont scrimp, its one of the most important steps in preparing for brewing and if you something like STARSAN, it only works out at 6 cents per litre of mix(based on 500ml bottle), small price to pay I think.. :unsure:

dont think its the cost hes worried about more the time saving.

OP - just buy kegs, that will save you loads of time. only one big bottle to wash then.

yes the time and hassle factor!

Im reading that H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) is the way to go since it should last a long time, even though it continuously breaks down into Hydrogen and Oxygen

therefore, a no brainer for no rinse

anyone use H2O2?

MAUOMBO

I understand that no rinse sanitizer is acid based, not H2O2 - but Im open to it

does it last? or break down? or lose its sanitizing ability over time? if it doesnt, im keen for that option

thanks

MAUOMBO

We're using a 200l plastic barrel to do our bottles. It sits on its side (on a simple wooden cradle) and I cut a 70cm x 40cm slot lengthways down the side so that we can get all the bottles in and out. We drain it through one of the bung holes.

About 400g of unscented napi san seems to do the job. All the labels and mold and cruft just slide off.

On bottling night we remove the bung to drain the barrel. Use a long nozzle to rinse them thoroughly and then give two squirts of no rinse sanitiser spray before draining them on the bottle rack.

i believe iodophor is stable when stored under CO2 as when i get my kegs ready for filling the iodophor is still amber. usually when exposed to oxygen it goes clear.

saying that i dont think yo0u could seal anything big enough with bottles under CO2. better off just dumping them in there the night beofre and bottling the next morning.

Latest posts

Back