Bootmaker kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonspoon

Reaction score
Hey guys bought a bootmaker pale ale today from my local big w they didnt have the recommended lme so i got the be2.
Has anyone tried it this way? Also will it change the taste much? Never tried the bootmaker befor so wouldnt know any different lol.

Cheers

Hey guys bought a bootmaker pale ale today from my local big w they didnt have the recommended lme so i got the be2.
Has anyone tried it this way? Also will it change the taste much? Never tried the bootmaker befor so wouldnt know any different lol.

Cheers
I have only ever done that kit with 1kg dlme. I don't think that BE2 will effect flavour in a big way, maltodextrin will add body, mouth feel and head retention. Dextrose adds alcohol. Ldme will add alcohol and body and maybe a bit of flavour.

Your choice of fermentables will have a bigger impact on the body, mouthfeel, dryness and final gravity ect than flavor in my opinion :)

Hi mate I've tried it with both, still a really nice beer once you let it sit in bottles for a bit. Can drink it after two weeks but if you can leave it 4-6 it's really nice

I've brewed this kit a few times. Munta is right; it drinks best at around 6 weeks. I've found that's also true for Brew A IPA and Family Secret Amber.
For Bootmaker I use 1.5kg LDME for a 23L batch and dry hop with 25g of Citra.

I've brewed this kit a few times. Munta is right; it drinks best at around 6 weeks. I've found that's also true for Brew A IPA and Family Secret Amber.
For Bootmaker I use 1.5kg LDME for a 23L batch and dry hop with 25g of Citra.
Can't beat ldme

Ok ive just started the batch will see how it goes with the be2. Also the og is 1.035 seems low to me as all my others have been around 1.045 - 1.050

That is low, probably a false reading. Did you purge the tap before taking sample?

Hey guys so on day 7 the fg is down to 1.013 so its week as piss. Is there anyway i can get it lower. Would like it to be atleast 1.005

I'm not sure if there is much that you can do, maybe dry enzymes but I have never used them so I don't know if you can add them at the end of the ferment. You could also try increasing the temperature a couple of degrees.

Actually have you been using temperature control? What temperature have you been fermenting at?

Hey guys so on day 7 the fg is down to 1.013 so its week as piss. Is there anyway i can get it lower. Would like it to be atleast 1.005

Probably that real shitty yeast they use. I think it is worse than they have ever used even in their cheap tins.

Ok maybe ill gibe it another day or so
Yeah I would give it to atleast 10 days, especially if you are fermenting on the cooler side. If you can warm it up to say 20°-21° for a diatol rest that would help I believe.

Probably that real shitty yeast they use. I think it is worse than they have ever used even in their cheap tins.
I recall being underwhelmed with that kit altogether, but I didn't sub out the yeast or do anything special

I just checked it again after another 24 hours and its down to 1.010. Theres still lots of foam/bubbles on the top. Dose that mean its still fermenting?

I just checked it again after another 24 hours and its down to 1.010. Theres still lots of foam/bubbles on the top. Dose that mean its still fermenting?

If it's still dropping, it's still fermenting. Just keep taking readings until it stabilises for 2-3 days. If you have temperature control you could warm it up a bit (to around 21-22C) to help it finish out.

It's probably close to finished, though - I think it's intended to finish around 1.010 with all malt, and taking a rough stab at what that means compared to BE2....it's 50% dextrose, which is 100% fermentable, 25% maltodextrin which is about 3% fermentable, and 25% light dry malt extract, which is around 75% fermentable....I think that makes the result around 70% fermentable, so you'd expect it to finish out a few points higher than all malt. Since you're already at 1.010 you must be pretty close to done.

Yeah all my other brews have finished at about 1.005 give or take and started at 1.045 with little to no foam on top. I will prob try this one again with dlm in rhe future.

Back