Bonj Heads To The Hunter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonj

Premier Ipswich Mash Proponent (PIMP)
Reaction score
Okay,

I'm heading down to Newcastle on Thursday for a family wedding, and will be in the Hunter Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'm keen to hook up with some Hunter/Newcastle brewers, and will be spending the whole day on Wednesday at Potters, so if you want to have a drink or three, send me a PM!

:chug: :beer:

-Bonj

Okay,

I'm heading down to Newcastle on Thursday for a family wedding, and will be in the Hunter Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'm keen to hook up with some Hunter/Newcastle brewers, and will be spending the whole day on Wednesday at Potters, so if you want to have a drink or three, send me a PM!

:chug: :beer:

-Bonj

When you head to Potters, ask if 'Josh the Hottie' is about. He'll know who sent you. Also do burn-outs on the grass so Gary the Gardener (known as 'Quality Control') will thump you.

I will guarantee that you'll have such a great day there that you wish you were there on Mon and Tues as well. Then Thurs and Friday.

Also ask for a Shazzam - who says NSW Brewers are a pack of wussies making ninny lager beer... :blink:

Scotty

I'm heading to the Hunter tomorrow arvo, but will be in a conference - Bonj, won't manage to catch up.

Where's Potters?? May be able to stop in on the way up?

Cheers - Mike

I'm heading to the Hunter tomorrow arvo, but will be in a conference - Bonj, won't manage to catch up.

Where's Potters?? May be able to stop in on the way up?

Cheers - Mike

Wine Country Drive, Nulkaba 2325

I just came back from there on Sunday. I will have to try to remember next time not to have two of each in the same night, makes it hard to try them again the next night!! The Oktoberfest Lager was really good, and I am rather partial to a good Wit as well, which they do.
I saw that gardener on Sunday, he got out of his ute with an empty long neck and a schooner glass :blink: . He walked in to the brasserie with some weeds from the garden and my hungover friends and myself where really starting to wonder about him. He then came out with a rubbish bag and then it clicked, "ohh he works here", good one slow eddie :p .
Eric

I saw that gardener on Sunday, he got out of his ute with an empty long neck and a schooner glass :blink: . He walked in to the brasserie with some weeds from the garden and my hungover friends and myself where really starting to wonder about him. He then came out with a rubbish bag and then it clicked, "ohh he works here", good one slow eddie :p .
Eric

He's a top bloke - has a heart of gold.

Makes good conversation even if the only adjective that he knows begins with 'F' - but he puts it to a wide range of uses !

Well, I'm about to load up the last of the cargo (beer), and hit the frog and toad.

See you all in a week (or less for those of you that are in the area)

Well, I'm about to load up the last of the cargo (beer), and hit the frog and toad.

See you all in a week (or less for those of you that are in the area)

Cheers Bonj, enjoy yourself and drive safe, no doubt there will be loads of pics on your return.

Cheers,
Screwy

Well... a report as such on my trip (from hell).

We set off Thursday morning heading for Coffs Harbour. The trip was pretty uneventful save for a bit of coughing in the seat next to me. We arrived in Coffs and I unloaded a couple of beers from the esky... however within a few minutes, I had the worst headache ever. The headache lasted all night and I was up every hour with a pounding headache.

Unsure as to whether we'd make it to Newcastle on the Friday, we set a goal of Taree (relatives), where we'd at least be able to make the wedding on the Saturday. As we rocketed past Taree all doped up on cold and flu tablets (the non-drowsy type), I resolved to get as far as we could, and we made it to Newcastle. SWMBO had directions all printed up, which I deviated from the first sign I saw :rolleyes: but I navigated through Newcastle okay, and joined us back up with the directions in Charlestown... the rest I navigated by memory, and a little bit of luck... hehe

Well, we made it to the wedding okay and through the dry reception. I opened myself a beer when we got back to temporary home, and was very disappointed to find that all I could taste was bitterness and fizziness. :( So much for the James Squire Hop Thief I'd brought with me. May as well have had a VB for all I could taste.

A midnight run to John Hunter hospital with my daughter's temperature that wouldn't come down just topped it off. As a result, we cancelled one of our nights in the Hunter, so we could be closer to the hospital just in case. With people dying around the country from Influenza-A, we weren't going to take any gambles. It also turned out that my grandfather had had another small stroke, probably as a result of drinking too much alcohol, so we had a merry old family party at the doctor's surgery.

We started getting better with the help of some antibiotics, so we decided we'd head to the Hunter and salvage what we could of the trip. It was interesting going into wineries and declining tastings (we still couldn't taste). We brought a few bottles home nonetheless. No point going home empty handed.

The second day in the Hunter we headed over to Potters to pick up a few sample bottles. I was offered a taster, and couldn't refuse, so I had a taste of their witbier. To my surprise I could actually taste it, so after my second taster, SWMBO shot over to the reception and reorganised the night we had originally planned there. I had a good chat to Keith over the afternoon, and took a tour of the brewery (without my camera... bugger!) In fact we had such a good chat that Keith had to stay the night to get his work finished.

I will reserve my tasting notes until I taste the samples I have brought home. I want to make sure that my sense of taste wasn't still a bit wonky... as I suspect I was tasting more bitterness than was actually there.

After the night at Potters, we head off for Taree to stay with relatives for a couple of nights, and then to Yamba for a night to split the drive, before arriving home yesterday afternoon. When I got in, I noticed the converted chest freezer was sitting on 19deg. It seems that a cat has tried to climb the power cord and unplugged it from the fridgemate... will have to wait for everything to balance again.

We managed to salvage some of the trip we had planned, but unfortunately wasn't up for a big session at Potters. We've decided that we'll do it again and not get sick this time.

Apologies to Les the Weizguy... we'll try again next time.

I did manage to get home with a 750ml of each of the Hunter Koelsch, Lager, Bock, Pale Ale and witbier, and a magnum of both the Pale Ale and the Bock, so I'll have some fun giving those a work over.

Sounds like a trip to forget over all, except for the good time at Potters. Good idea to reorganise a reception so you could stay and talk about beer. :super: I'm sure you did the right thing as well by being careful about your daughter's illness.

We've decided that we'll do it again and not get sick this time.

Good idea. :lol:

Latest posts

Back