Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightyman

Reaction score
I have just cut top off a 50lt keg in prep for my new boiler,need to put ball valve in bottom anyone got any thoughts on what type of valve?distance from bottom of boiler etc.was trying to get away from weilding valve in is there any other way to attach

Wrightyman

As low as you can.
Check the sponsor sites, I think you'll find one of them does a weldless valve kit.
Though it may cost more, I'd opt for valves that you can dissassemble for cleaning.

Check the website in my signature - I documented and took pics when I did mine.

Plain old 1/2" nickel plated brass ball valves work just fine - about $8 from the hardware store. Be prepared to pull them down and clean them every so often.

Put the valve as close to the bottom as you can get it - just above where the vessel starts to curve. Make yourself a pickup tube from a bit of copper pipe in order to get the liquid out from below the tap level. Search here for "pickup tube" and you'll get loads of pics.

Check the website in my signature - I documented and took pics when I did mine.

Plain old 1/2" nickel plated brass ball valves work just fine - about $8 from the hardware store. Be prepared to pull them down and clean them every so often.

Put the valve as close to the bottom as you can get it - just above where the vessel starts to curve. Make yourself a pickup tube from a bit of copper pipe in order to get the liquid out from below the tap level. Search here for "pickup tube" and you'll get loads of pics.

Thanks coatherder really good info.looks a nice country setting

Wrightyman

I found that if at all possible have a valve on the lowest point but also have a 2" outlet on the very bottom to utilise as a drain, you can purchase a 2" to 3/4 reducer, weld it in, whack a walve on the front and whammo...

Has anyone else had troubles washing out into a small diameter hole??

Daz

I recently built myself a boiler out of a stainless steel keg and had the same problem with the welding. Iopted for a stainless steel skin fitting which i brough from Whitfords Marine in Brisbane,i also brought a ss ball valve there as well all up $50.00. Best thing i've built ,so far use it all the time.If you want more information look in gear and equip on this site type in HLT.

Back