• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Boiler Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay

Reaction score
Is there anyone in Perth with a boiler to sell. I'm currently doing partial mashes but need a larger boiler so I can go AG.
HELP ME BECOME A BETTER BREWER!

cheers
clay

hi clay,

I am in the same boat and one option i am looking at is looking thorugh Saturdays paper for "catering auctions" and scoring a 50l or 70 stock pot.

good luck

cheers old dog

Ranger Camping have 45litre SS pots for around $80 but are pretty thin steel.

Matt

Cheers or that response Matt. I'll try to have a look today (in between making an oatmeal stout).

I'm currently using a thin 17L SS pot and Im a little suprised how well it stands up to the boil. I'm guessing the main problem with the thin SS will be fixxing a tap.

Cheers, clay

If you have a good Asian area in Perth, some of the stores will sell very large pots. Not sure if they are SS or not. I had difficulty tracking down a large SS pot second hand, so went and bought a new one at my local brewing supplier. I paid $255 for a 50 Liter pot. It is thick and has a very think bottom. Works great, but the price is a bit of a stinger. You might want to also try eBay and the Trading Post.

In my local Asian stuff shop in Smith St Collingwood, stainless steel pots are about $1 - $1.50 per litre capacity up to 20 litre. I've thought about getting one for experimental small brews.

Kongs in Northbridge or Vic Park :beerbang:

i got a 45cm (62L) SS Pot for $45.50

fitted a thread / ball valve and i'm laughing!

Rob.

I'm guessing the main problem with the thin SS will be fixxing a tap.

Cheers, clay

Not really all that necessary to worry about attaching a tap. I've been AG'ing for ages with an unmodified SS kettle. I chill in the pot and then pour it straight into the fermenter (helps with aeration too). I guess if you're transferring into cubes or demijohn fermenters, you may need a tap (but you could probably just siphon in that case).

Cheers,
Michael.

Not really all that necessary to worry about attaching a tap. I've been AG'ing for ages with an unmodified SS kettle. I chill in the pot and then pour it straight into the fermenter (helps with aeration too). I guess if you're transferring into cubes or demijohn fermenters, you may need a tap (but you could probably just siphon in that case).

Cheers,
Michael.

I'd love to be able to recommend a syphon for hot wort, but I cannot. After several tries at finding The Right One, I have just put a tap in my aluminium boiler. There are pics in the website I have listed as 'mine' in the profile wotnot.

Cheers for all your replys guys.
The reason why I'll be puting a tap on the boiler is to attach the counterflow chiller I bought a while ago (and am still yet to use)

Clay - let me know what you come up with mate, I'm in Perth and am currently trying to source exactly the same thing ... want to modify it with a tap as well as a temp guage ...

not that im condoning or encouraging it , but there are always the after dark behind the pub need a little modification boilers available, just about all over the country....

Clay - let me know what you come up with mate, I'm in Perth and am currently trying to source exactly the same thing ... want to modify it with a tap as well as a temp guage ...

Will do facter

not that im condoning or encouraging it , but there are always the after dark behind the pub need a little modification boilers available, just about all over the country....

...but Barra, that would be wrong :rolleyes:

...but Barra, that would be wrong :rolleyes:

like i said im not encouraging it just putting it up there as a possible ....
they also make great electric HLT'S in case you were wondering

yyeesss... i had thought about that one.. the only thing that stops is that its...err.. wrong... but mostly the fact that i dont have the tools to cut it and modify it ...

Guy's, Girl's and Guru's,

With regards to thin bottomed pots, both Alum & SS, i couldnt help but think about when i did science in high school. We used a steel/ceramic gauze under a glass beaker/test tube to evenly distribute heat, thus preventing the glass from shattering.

while i am aware that no risk of shattering steel is present, could you use a similar technique to enable you to use a thin bottomed pot/boiler?

Just an idea

Leary

wiregauze2.jpg

Well I picked up a converted 50L keg on the weekend from Doogiechap. Nice bloke, nice APA.

Just need an empty fermenter now and I'll have a go at my first AG.

Cheers to all those who posted suggestions.

clay

Latest posts

Back